Reading

And why all the add ons over the last few weeks of a season.

You can ask that about just about any corps, not solely Empire.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said many times on these boards that Empire is extremely entertaining. I had the pleasure of seeing them live last year, and even though folks agreed that it was not a particularly strong year for them, they came to play and came to win. Empire has a horn line to die for and it certainly appears to be their strong point this year again. They have a fine corps and what appears to be a very dedicated membership. Certainly all the best to them this weekend! HOWEVER, it is simpy my opinion that their shows always seem a bit dated. This years program just seems to lack the content necessary to contend. Especially the visual. And why all the add ons over the last few weeks of a season. If the staff feels the added props, effects, gadgets, etc. are so effective, why not integrate them with the program from the beginning instead of getting their butts kicked all year and then think, "perhaps if we add a dancing bear"?? Imagine BD thinking, "maybe if we add a few more mirrors"? Imagine this...Bushwackers program, with Empires numbers. BTW, did I mention that Empire is very entertaining. See...it ain't ALL Bucs.

empire is following a modle set up by vince bruni way back in the 60's you start with your basic show and then you add to it and tweak as the season goes on and by DCA you have a great show that can win. it's proven to work and he did it. that's why all the add on's. i know this cause i was there way back when he started doing this. does that answer your question?

Do I get a trophy for this?
possibly. you could end up joining him too

I've said many times on these boards that Empire is extremely entertaining. I had the pleasure of seeing them live last year, and even though folks agreed that it was not a particularly strong year for them, they came to play and came to win. Empire has a horn line to die for and it certainly appears to be their strong point this year again. They have a fine corps and what appears to be a very dedicated membership. Certainly all the best to them this weekend! HOWEVER, it is simpy my opinion that their shows always seem a bit dated. This years program just seems to lack the content necessary to contend. Especially the visual. And why all the add ons over the last few weeks of a season. If the staff feels the added props, effects, gadgets, etc. are so effective, why not integrate them with the program from the beginning instead of getting their butts kicked all year and then think, "perhaps if we add a dancing bear"?? Imagine BD thinking, "maybe if we add a few more mirrors"? Imagine this...Bushwackers program, with Empires numbers. BTW, did I mention that Empire is very entertaining. See...it ain't ALL Bucs.

every corps adds and tweaks as the year goes on. In fact, did Bucs not make big changes to the end of their show just a few weeks ago? Why...by golly...by your rationale, they should have had that ending all year long.

sorry but you kill your own argument

i don't think you have to worry about getting any :worthy:

i notice tho you ignore my rebuttals filled with logic.

every corps adds and tweaks as the year goes on. In fact, did Bucs not make big changes to the end of their show just a few weeks ago? Why...by golly...by your rationale, they should have had that ending all year long.

sorry but you kill your own argument

Pardon me for previously ignoring your rebuttals filled with logic. Difference is, the Bucs will change drill sets, staging, horn voicings, etc. And there's a difference between this and perhaps adding a guy dressed as a pirate (complete with eye patch and peg leg) to walk up and down the sideline. And then, for the big last week's push to finals, they could add a parrot on his shoulder.

I probably shouldn't say this publicly....

But I am going to call the Pennsylvania State Police and ask them to pull over the Buccaneers' buses on the corps' way to Rochester.

This will show, once and for all, that the Bucs, indeed, CAN be stopped. :worthy:

OK.... so I'm out of material here......

bah dum, ching

Is this a bad thing? I have to add that we haven't added any props, effects or gadgets.

There is nothing wrong with adding more to your show as the season progesses...

All I can say is...3.8, 2.3, 1.8, .8

Pardon me for previously ignoring your rebuttals filled with logic. Difference is, the Bucs will change drill sets, staging, horn voicings, etc. And there's a difference between this and perhaps adding a guy dressed as a pirate (complete with eye patch and peg leg) to walk up and down the sideline. And then, for the big last week's push to finals, they could add a parrot on his shoulder.

ok....Phantom added in killing the drum major the weekend before finals in 08. Seemed to work just fine for them. Who's to say Empire may not also tweak things like staging etc as well?

you ASSUME to have all of the answers, and only those of us actually there this weekend will know for sure. I'm ok with either corps winning, as I like both shows, and have a hunch I'll like MBI and Hurcs as well.

the sad thing is if Bucs do lose, you will armchair QB the decision when you weren't even there.

there is no one right or wrong way to put your corps intended finals product on the field. Sure Bucs have success with thir way. So has Empire. So has Cabs. Hell in 96, 14 years ago today, what you saw on the field at finals had one staging change after July 4th...it lasted all of, oh 8 seconds.

it just happened to work for us that year.