Southern percussion placement (shocking)

CCBD05

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that they compete in the Northeast and are not a part of DCA South... but that does not make them a northeastern corps... period. By geographical location, Carolina Gold IS a southern corps.

WOW. Someone who actually gets it. Thank you, sincerely, no sarcasm.

Certain people from Atlanta and Memphis are not pleased that Gold competes in the North. That is Gold's choice. They are still a Southern corps!

No one can debate that North Carolina is a southeastern state. However, what might surprise some folks reading this is the fact that Gold's home base, just north of Greensboro, is actually 16 miles CLOSER to Harrisburg, PA than Atlanta, GA. Therefore, the cost of travel... buses, vans, trucks etc. is essentially EQUAL traveling north or south. When Gold was based in Raleigh and Rocky Mount the NE competitions were actually closer by a couple hundred miles.

I'm just a marching member, but I have been told that the NE shows that Gold attends help cover some of the travel costs. I know the corps members and staff would love to head south for a competition but it just hasn't been possible. Hopefully things work out with next years budget and schedule to allow that.

So the bottom line, as boring as it is, the reason Carolina Gold competes in the northeast is money. If the travel costs are equal, getting some money to attend a competition helps balance the budget. This allows the corps to grow and invest in new equipment without going into debt. Seems like a smart decision to me.

For the record, I am a transplanted yankee. Born in Johnsonburg, PA and I grew up in North Tonawanda, NY. So if you insist, I am a wuss, this year's heat was brutal. I am really looking forward to winter!

Geographically in a straight line, Atlanta itself is closer to Chicago than to Miami.

No one can debate that North Carolina is a southeastern state. However, what might surprise some folks reading this is the fact that Gold's home base, just north of Greensboro, is actually 16 miles CLOSER to Harrisburg, PA than Atlanta, GA. Therefore, the cost of travel... buses, vans, trucks etc. is essentially EQUAL traveling north or south. When Gold was based in Raleigh and Rocky Mount the NE competitions were actually closer by a couple hundred miles.

I'm just a marching member, but I have been told that the NE shows that Gold attends help cover some of the travel costs. I know the corps members and staff would love to head south for a competition but it just hasn't been possible. Hopefully things work out with next years budget and schedule to allow that.

So the bottom line, as boring as it is, the reason Carolina Gold competes in the northeast is money. If the travel costs are equal, getting some money to attend a competition helps balance the budget. This allows the corps to grow and invest in new equipment without going into debt. Seems like a smart decision to me.

For the record, I am a transplanted yankee. Born in Johnsonburg, PA and I grew up in North Tonawanda, NY. So if you insist, I am a wuss, this year's heat was brutal. I am really looking forward to winter!

Yup.

OK.

So we start a NEW geographical circuit. DCA Central Atlantic! Get a couple more corps started in the area, and it's a go!

OK.

So we start a NEW geographical circuit. DCA Central Atlantic! Get a couple more corps started in the area, and it's a go!

Maybe a DCA region with corps just from Maryland.

To be called "DCA Kinda Sorta South." :tongue:

No one can debate that North Carolina is a southeastern state. However, what might surprise some folks reading this is the fact that Gold's home base, just north of Greensboro, is actually 16 miles CLOSER to Harrisburg, PA than Atlanta, GA.

Exactly!!!!!

Making Gold a North East corps. :tongue:

Edited by camel lips