Drum Majors

Butch was a critical part of the large Albany crew that came with Dominic... he was very much the real deal when he arrived... I don't think he needed to "cut it" as drum major or prove anything... He immediately assumed control of the corps... When that crew moved from Syracuse to New York Skyliners, it really MADE that corps for '72 and the fact that they brought along some "old line brigs" too - Anguilli, Chisek, Junior Lorini, Chuckie Taglamonte and others - and then threw in Fred "Gebby" Gebhardt as the missing link sky needed to bring up their marching scores... wow... what a corps it produced in '72.

Butch "made his bones" as DM of the Marksmen under Del Ra (67-68) ... the Sryacuse crew was a nice addition in 72 ... just as were the Brooklyn crew, Vasella crew and CT Yankees crew ... but ... make no mistake about it, the 71 Sky corps MADE the 72 corps ... no doubt we went from a Metropolitan corps in 71 to a Cosmopolitan corps in 72 ... but, there were many crews that contributed to our success in 72 ... Gebby didn't hook up with Sky until 75 ... Hoffman was the creative force behind the 72 drill ...

Andy "Sky: Class of 72" Lisko

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Butch "made his bones" as DM of the Marksmen under Del Ra (67-68) ... the Sryacuse crew was a nice addition in 72 ... just as were the Brooklyn crew, Vasella crew and CT Yankees crew ... but ... make no mistake about it, the 71 Sky corps MADE the 72 corps ... no doubt we went from a Metropolitan corps in 71 to a Cosmopolitan corps in 72 ... but, there were many crews that contributed to our success in 72 ... Gebby didn't hook up with Sky until 75 ... Hoffman was the creative force behind the 72 drill ...

Andy "Sky: Class of 72" Lisko

oops on Gebhardt... the years run together...

two more recent DM's that stick out in my mind,......................that dude from Bushwackers,...................great conducting skills,......................and that Petrone gal that was with Hurricanes,......................she had it all!

I remember her durring my last year with the Hurcs 2002. We had a lot DM of tryouts that winter who were made to conduct the corps as a test. All of the adult aged tryouts were good but this kid from norwalk HS. was an absolute stand out. I still remember the comments from the brass and drum players after her try out session. "Man that kid can conduct" was the word of the day.

I remember her durring my last year with the Hurcs 2002. We had a lot DM of tryouts that winter who were made to conduct the corps as a test. All of the adult aged tryouts were good but this kid from norwalk HS. was an absolute stand out. I still remember the comments from the brass and drum players after her try out session. "Man that kid can conduct" was the word of the day.

If I remember correctly, and pardon the spelling, but I believe her name was Jaimie Cuttrone.

I think someone is getting carried away with themselves a bit in relating war stories (I've NEVER done that lol)

Butch was a critical part of the large Albany crew that came with Dominic... he was very much the real deal when he arrived... I don't think he needed to "cut it" as drum major or prove anything... He immediately assumed control of the corps... When that crew moved from Syracuse to New York Skyliners, it really MADE that corps for '72 and the fact that they brought along some "old line brigs" too - Anguilli, Chisek, Junior Lorini, Chuckie Taglamonte and others - and then threw in Fred "Gebby" Gebhardt as the missing link sky needed to bring up their marching scores... wow... what a corps it produced in '72.

24 of the "rest of us" went to '72 Crusaders and were rejoined with our hero Corky Fabrizio (of course in my case it was going back to them) and that was enough to make that into one of the great corps of all times. So all of us in Rabbitland and Sky City owe a huge debt to the '71 Brigadiers - it was a very high price to pay for our combined greatness (killing the Brigs) but it was a testiment to the talent hiding in Syracuse in '71.

I don't remember all of the details, but Jimmy himself said at one point he was tagged to go to Sky, and Butch to Cabs. In the long run, they both ended up at the perfect corps for both of them.

If I remember correctly, and pardon the spelling, but I believe her name was Jaimie Cuttrone.

Correct but I but I could not remember if her name started with a K or a C.

I don't remember all of the details, but Jimmy himself said at one point he was tagged to go to Sky, and Butch to Cabs. In the long run, they both ended up at the perfect corps for both of them.

jeez...absolutely....Butch in flared pants and a bolero hat??oh My!! :tongue:

She was great. She was only there for 2002 and 2003, I think.... but what a conductor and personality.

the 1977-78 Sunrisers DM TOM HART.

:tongue::ph34r::tongue::tongue::beer: