Corps Directors

How many times are corps even posting director jobs openly for people to apply?

Are Drum Corps rewuired to list oper Director positiond for applicants? I would think that most organizations have a small core of people running the administrative side of things. Also typically, I would think if a Director is planning on stepping down, there is someone inside the organization that would be groomed to take over. Much like professional sports there are guys that have made a name for themselves as successful Directors that are contacted about open positions. But again, as a privately run organization, do they or SHOULD they be required to post openings?

. . .it's about the same as DCI, thanks, despite your attempted swipe at the circuit:

http://www.fusioncorenj.com/staffadmin.html

Director - Holly Marino

Assistant Director - Gretchen Endres

http://www.carolinagold.org/2010_staff.html

Corps Director - Jessica Zakula

Wow...a personal attack from a moderator. Wow.

I asked a simple question now that this issue was brought to light. Thought we should include the senior circuit in the discussion. That's it.

It was NOT fodder for a personal attack. Especially from you.

Are Drum Corps rewuired to list oper Director positiond for applicants? I would think that most organizations have a small core of people running the administrative side of things. Also typically, I would think if a Director is planning on stepping down, there is someone inside the organization that would be groomed to take over. Much like professional sports there are guys that have made a name for themselves as successful Directors that are contacted about open positions. But again, as a privately run organization, do they or SHOULD they be required to post openings?

What I'm getting at is, staff openings, whether they be Directors or Captionheads or whatever, should be posted and the corps should interview at least 3 applicants. If they are objective and hire the most qualified person it would help to open the door for not only minorities, but for others who want to get in to the activity. Sure, hiring someone from within might be good, but it might also be the worst thing that a corps could do. If a corps is having struggles, and they hire someone who is already a part of that team that is struggling, why would they be the best cantidate to get the corps on track? Sometimes a corps needs a fresh start. Successful businesses often hire CEO's from outside.

How many corps just trade staff back and forth? The activity remains stagnant when we are are seeing the same drumlines and colorguards everywhere, just switching uniforms. This is especially obvious in DCA, but it goes on in DCI all the time too. We all know what to expect from SCV next summer. Not that that's a bad thing, but it might be cool to see some new people do things in the activity.

Wow...a personal attack from a moderator. Wow.

I asked a simple question now that this issue was brought to light. Thought we should include the senior circuit in the discussion. That's it.

It was NOT fodder for a personal attack. Especially from you.

Wow, indeed.

. . .what I said hardly qualifies for a personal attack, in my opinion. Sarcasm, sure, but perhaps tone gets lost through the medium in which we communicate.

However, since I am a moderator here and certainly believe that we need to have a fair and safe environment for our Community. . .and since no one has reported the thread yet for some strange reason . . . I will report myself now, and let the other moderators make a decision on whether or not it qualifies.

. . .now, back to our regularly scheduled thread. :thumbdown:

edit: additionally, in the interest of erring on the side of caution, I've edited the post to take out what may be construed as a personal jab.

Nothing to see here; move along.

But again, as a privately run organization, do they or SHOULD they be required to post openings?

I don't think it should be required by any means, but I do think that slightly more open searches for top staff would probably benefit the corps, in much the same way that open membership auditions are good for the corps. Rather than sticking to what and who you know, be open to new people and new ideas. Staff consistency year to year is usually good, but when there is an opening, be open to someone new or different. It's common in these discussions to talk about just hiring "the best candidate". But in reality, it's rarely that clear cut. Often two or three people might all bring different strengths and ideas to the table, and each have their own weaknesses, as well, and it's not easy to decide who would be the best fit.

I don't think it should be required by any means, but I do think that slightly more open searches for top staff would probably benefit the corps, in much the same way that open membership auditions are good for the corps. Rather than sticking to what and who you know, be open to new people and new ideas. Staff consistency year to year is usually good, but when there is an opening, be open to someone new or different. It's common in these discussions to talk about just hiring "the best candidate". But in reality, it's rarely that clear cut. Often two or three people might all bring different strengths and ideas to the table, and each have their own weaknesses, as well, and it's not easy to decide who would be the best fit.

This would likely have no difference.

The fact is, most of our membership is pulled from an overwhelmingly male (and most likely very skewed white, though i dont have stats there, and it probably depends on the corps and their recruiting footprint) group in marching band brass and percussion. When your talent pool is skewed that way, your membership will reflect that. When your membership reflects that, your leadership will eventually reflect that. Its fairly simple.

Right on, but that's a risk any employer takes hiring anyone for any job. I just had to decide between 4 great cantidates who to hire for a position where I work. I made the best decision I could with the information I have. I think the person we hired will do great work, but we don't know for sure until we see. When a corps is not even considering multiple candidates, how can they know they are getting the best staff? They didn't look at anyone else.

Hmmm.. why does DCI need to "reach out" to certain groups? The opportunities are there. If there is a black female band director that is out there and wishes to enter the drum corps world, by all means she should go for it. I sense that the OP is saying that there is some discrimination going on. I personally don't see it. I suppose you can compare it to the NHL. Why are there not a lot of black NHL players? One, it's not a sport they levitate to. Two, it is a very expensive sport so that limits many groups, not just African Americans.

To paraphrase Colin Powell to the black community some years back; there are many opportunities out there. It’s your job to work for them. It’s not going to be given to you on a silver platter.

I think it boils down to a few things.

1. How often are WC director positions up for grabs?

2. When they are up for grabs, how often are they filled by other WC directors wanting to make a move i.e. Fiedler to SCV.

Corps with open director positions are of course going to consider first a proven quantity.

I compare it to the way NFL head coaches move around. More often than not when a team has an opening for a head coach, you see that position filled by someone who was either already an NFL head coach, or already employed by an NFL team i.e. offensive/deffensive coordinator. It is MUCH less common to see a college coach move up to the NFL, even though it happens from time to time.

I think it boils down to a few things.

1. How often are WC director positions up for grabs?

2. When they are up for grabs, how often are they filled by other WC directors wanting to make a move i.e. Fiedler to SCV.

Corps with open director positions are of course going to consider first a proven quantity.

I compare it to the way NFL head coaches move around. More often than not when a team has an opening for a head coach, you see that position filled by someone who was either already an NFL head coach, or already employed by an NFL team i.e. offensive/deffensive coordinator. It is MUCH less common to see a college coach move up to the NFL, even though it happens from time to time.

That's just it though, it does happen from time to time. Take Mike Tomlin for example. Never headcoached, in his early 30's. Won a superbowl his second year in. Had the Steelers not had open interviews, they probably would have groomed Ken Wisenhunt for the job. Ken would have made a good coach, as he has done amazing things with the Cardinals, but obviously, the Steelers made the right choice with Tomlin.

I think DCI should simply operate the same way. Open it up, some awesome cantidates might come up that otherwise would be overlooked.