Corps Directors

actually, the word period was used to emphasize the statement preceding it. the puntuation was the indication of the end of the sentence.

and I never said the best person is always hired for the job, I just said that they should be, so no unicorns and rainbows needed.

I didn't say you said that either, but what things should be is always fairly obvious, what they are is complicated, just like this issue.

Oh ease up, it's just drum corps!!!!!

If the discussion of diversity is not that important, and we need to ease up because it is just drum corps (with five exclimation points), then please explain the 5279 hits and 198 posts (as of this posting) concerning the importance of this topic.

My turn to blast you. We have agreed to this point but I have to take eception.

Dude,

Ease off on the ginormous words. I am spending more time looking up your vocabulary than reading he thread.

Tom? Really?

I spent less time reading "mysoginists" than I did "ginormous".

Open another browser and keep a dictionary open if need be, but I appreciate not dumbing-down (literally) the word choices...

Just MHO, of course.

If the discussion of diversity is not that important, and we need to ease up because it is just drum corps (with five exclamation points), then please explain the 5279 hits and 198 posts (as of this posting) concerning the importance of this topic.

Because it's the off season of drum corps, and people are bored :blink:

C'mon, don't take this so seriously!!!! This issue is totally not that important in the grand scheme of things (and neither is drum corps).

Oh ease up, it's just drum corps!!!!!

Typical. Throw punches and snot balls then, when cornered, exclaim "What are you getting so upset for?"

Well, WooHoo, it is drum corps, and it's important enough to many of us that we resent the attempts to make it into something else.

That it's not so important to you is fine, but your aspersions (sorry Tom, :blink: ) to the rest of us are even more irritating when you claim the subject is not important enough to raise the ire.

Typical. Throw punches and snot balls then, when cornered, exclaim "What are you getting so upset for?"

Well, WooHoo, it is drum corps, and it's important enough to many of us that we resent the attempts to make it into something else.

That it's not so important to you is fine, but your aspersions (sorry Tom, :blink: ) to the rest of us are even more irritating when you claim the subject is not important enough to raise the ire.

http://www.funnycatsite.com/pictures/Happy_Cat614.jpg

Ralph Hardimon, Julie Davila, and Mike McIntosh are applying for a high level position. Only one can be hired. Should Race and Gender play any role in the hiring decision? If yes why, and if no why not.

I don't think race and gender should be factors in the selection. The best person should be hired. Who's "best" can mean a lot of things. Is it about experience? Past success? New ideas? Energy? Respect? Lack of other commitments? Connections to funding sources? Loyalty? Business acumen? I don't think an outsider could look at a list of three candidates and decide who's best for a corps just based on their resume. It depends on what the corps wants their director to be. The Cadets made what turned out to be an incredible choice of director when they let George Hopkins run the corps at the age of 25. I doubt he would have beaten out many other potential candidates in a straight comparison of resumes.

On the other hand, I really doubt directors in particular are chosen in this way, at least not by most corps. Some folks have suggested that corps boards should announce open positions and be sure to give chances to outsiders and/or unknowns. I dont' care to prescribe a particular method. Every corps should choose their directors how they want. I would think making a point of interviewing multiple candidates, and not just promoting an insider, is probably a better way to go about it, but it's not up to me.

I'm sorry, but this is a nearly-slanderous post. If anyone is to "blame" it's the female music leaders or minority community leaders who fail to step up and take the risk.

Your connotation that it's somehow institutionalized in DCI is complete crap.

Instead of poking sticks at the governing body or the activity, why not instead insert yourself in front of community leaders and band directors in under-privileged communities and convince them why taking the risk of starting a corps is worth-while to their kids.

At least cast your aspersions in the right direction, for God's sake.

Not too worried about political correctness here... Have to agree with you.