Corps Moving back to "G" Horns

ABC Peanut Butter Company, XYZ Peanut Butter Company, and 123 Peanut Butter Company all produce a high quality product. They each taste somewhat different, so some people gravitate towards one of the three companies. ABC starts to have more people partaking of their product, has better marketing to a wider audience, and offers better deals on bulk sales. 123 Company sees that ABC is flourishing so they follow suit. However, XYZ, while still producing a quality product does not market their product well to a wider audience, offers no good deals on bulk sales, and has fewer and fewer partakers, but some will stay with tenacious loyalty. ABC and 123 both flourish while XYZ goes belly up. I do not see the problem with ABC and 123 gaining the higher market share and also have no problem with XYZ going under as an entity. Change the company names and their products to instruments and I still hold the same belief.

...do you play, Stu? If so, you don't notice different playing characteristics between manufacturers and/or Bb vs. G? Your point is relevant AFA the survival or success of companys...but aren't we talking about the mechanics of horns?

cg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I think you're right Sam, in general. But one of the main points missing here is how dang *easy* it is to edge-out a G horn.

Oh,no argument there...I remember either Don Burns or Steve McLaren (I think it was Steve) doing so on purpose on a K-90 once....you could actually SEE then edge of the bell vibrate!

However, good playing technique and instruction can make a line be able to play freakishly loud without that distortion....ask anyone from Cadets' 84 battery who heard us warming up for finals...loudest note I've ever played in my life...and no distortion at all, from either myself or the rest of the line.

Edited by 84BDsop

...do you play, Stu? If so, you don't notice different playing characteristics between manufacturers and/or Bb vs. G? Your point is relevant AFA the survival or success of companys...but aren't we talking about the mechanics of horns?

cg

I am saying that as long as the horns are manufactured with "quality and care", the differences in horn characteristics would be a matter of personal taste. And that taste is only one of many. many variables when considering what manufacturer to use when purchasing instruments. Other variables include cost, availability, commonality for performers (this is where G vs Bb enters the picture), sponsorships, endorsements, resale value, the general market, on and on.... So if Yamaha, Kanstul, King, Jupiter, Dynasty, etc... all manufacture quality instruments, the market itself will dictate which horns will sell more and which horns will sell less. Moreover, there is no rule in DCI that states a corps has to use Bb; the major corps' decided to switch because of great Bb endorsement deals from manufactures, the horns were of great quality, and the Bb horns have the ability to get more in touch with future corps members (the band kids). Many G horns are of high quality, no question about that. And if the Bb horns had sucked, the corps' would have immediately gone back to G. But the Bb horns do have quality; they also have two huge benefits to corps' that Gs do not which are mass connection to the millions of Bb players in the world and great resale value to band programs(just ask Crown).

Edited by Stu

I am saying that as long as the horns are manufactured with "quality and care", the differences in horn characteristics would be a matter of personal taste. And that taste is only one of many. many variables when considering what manufacturer to use when purchasing instruments. Other variables include cost, availability, commonality for performers (this is where G vs Bb enters the picture), sponsorships, endorsements, resale value, the general market, on and on.... So if Yamaha, Kanstul, King, Jupiter, Dynasty, etc... all manufacture quality instruments, the market itself will dictate which horns will sell more and which horns will sell less. Moreover, there is no rule in DCI that states a corps has to use Bb; the major corps' decided to switch because of great Bb endorsement deals from manufactures, the horns were of great quality, and the Bb horns have the ability to get more in touch with future corps members (the band kids). Many G horns are of high quality, no question about that. And if the Bb horns had sucked, the corps' would have immediately gone back to G. But the Bb horns do have quality; they also have two huge benefits to corps' that Gs do not which are mass connection to the millions of Bb players in the world and great resale value to band programs(just ask Crown).

While I still personally prefer the G horns, Stu (as usual) makes the points here all so clear. With so many fewer corps these days, there are many less avenues for resale of the G horns. I believe it's unfortunate, but it"s a matter of what makes the most fiscal sense.

While I still personally prefer the G horns, Stu (as usual) makes the points here all so clear. With so many fewer corps these days, there are many less avenues for resale of the G horns. I believe it's unfortunate, but it"s a matter of what makes the most fiscal sense.

Thanks for the little (as usual) insert; I am humbled by that complement. By the way, I preferred the Pontiac Firebird over the Chevrolet Camaro; but the market played out otherwise; and that is fine with me because the new Camaros are sweet!!!

...gotcha. And I agree (as I implied in my follow-up to your post) and you clarify quite well. I have no real position in the G vs Bb debate, don't really care all that much. My point(s) were seated in the playing of the instruments, and my question to you was unanswered: Do you play? No big deal, but you're very literate and thorough most of the time...

cg

...gotcha. And I agree (as I implied in my follow-up to your post) and you clarify quite well. I have no real position in the G vs Bb debate, don't really care all that much. My point(s) were seated in the playing of the instruments, and my question to you was unanswered: Do you play? No big deal, but you're very literate and thorough most of the time...

cg

Wow, another compliment; again I am humbled, thank you. I guess that need to say something stupid real soon to get back on track!!! Anyway, to answer your question, I work in business but yes I am also a musician. Quality in both instances is what I find important; but I believe the quality of "business" should own and drive the bus while the quality of "music" should be the vehicle being driven; and if all corps directors would just follow that simple philosophy their corps would more than likely never go into the red and fail.

Edited by Stu