Corps Moving back to "G" Horns

We all love Facebook and social media. I came across this today on Facebook....

http://www.platinumdrumcorps.org/gdrive.html

This is amazing, and simple a wonderful idea. I think personally that this might just help this drum corps find their "niche" in the activity. I hope they raise the funds needed. I for one will help them out, because I love the sound of a field of Bugles, actual ones. I just wonder what and how the judging community will look at this. I hope they wouldn't be picked apart for making this move.

What do you think?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all love Facebook and social media. I came across this today on Facebook....

http://www.platinumdrumcorps.org/gdrive.html

This is amazing, and simple a wonderful idea. I think personally that this might just help this drum corps find their "niche" in the activity. I hope they raise the funds needed. I for one will help them out, because I love the sound of a field of Bugles, actual ones. I just wonder what and how the judging community will look at this. I hope they wouldn't be picked apart for making this move.

What do you think?

Sort of off topic but I'm very curious as to all this Platinum news that has come out in the past couple of weeks. Didn't they not finish the 2010 tour because of money? I remember that being a rumor and then they posted on the DCI news that they would be in Dubuque and Michigan City and then nobody heard another word out of them.

I think it was because of members....

They had staff up and quit on them, but don't quote me I'm not sure on that one. I just know that in the beginning there was a large group of kids, then it weeded away, which if the staff thing is the case, I'd be mad. But either way still is great news, that someone is wanting to make the move....

They are new though. so who knows. First years are hard, I see where they purchased a EQ trailer as well on there, so I am not sure if money was the issue..... Not sure.... Does anyone have any connections with the staff that could comment?

Sort of off topic but I'm very curious as to all this Platinum news that has come out in the past couple of weeks. Didn't they not finish the 2010 tour because of money? I remember that being a rumor and then they posted on the DCI news that they would be in Dubuque and Michigan City and then nobody heard another word out of them.

Good for Platinum. Racine Scouts is also in the process of raising money to purchase a new line of Kanstul Bugles.

I wish more OC would do that, I know its expensive and would be for them to go to it, but I say UNPLUG them and arm them with G's.... :) I am just excited that a few groups are wanting to offer at least the opportunity to march with a G horn.

OK, so educate me. What is the big deal with G bugles? Is this just a longing for the old days, or can you list actual advantages to using them?

OK, so educate me. What is the big deal with G bugles? Is this just a longing for the old days, or can you list actual advantages to using them?

1. Better Projection

2. Darker Tone in the upper voices

3. Better balance in upper register

4. Force them to use their ears to tune rather than trusting the horn.

Do I have to go on ... or is this just going to end up another G vs BbF thread?

Since this thread is about raising funds to get new equipment for Platinum, this seems like a better place than any to ask about their uniforms.

Please forgive me if I seem uninformed for saying this, but their 2010 uniforms seemed to be purchased on an extreme budget. There was no design or anything on them, just a sky blue jacket and white pants. I'm wondering if this is just a temporary uniform until they can get the funds for more interesting attire of if they're planning to add on to what they have, like maybe an emblem or a sash or anything else. But if that's the final uniform for Platinum, I'm wondering why they decided to go with something so plain. I don't mean for any of this to be derogatory, I'm just wondering if there's more than we've seen so far.

I was thinking the same thing, I asked someone who is auditioning there, they said that they are wearing black this upcoming year, so I am thinking it was a quick fix... But I've seen those jackets somewhere before, I just know I have. SO maybe they were given to the corps?????

Either way you're right they were rather plain........ I am hoping that they do have a fix for that..... What are their corps colors? Is it blue? I don't think its really defined. Either way I don't care, but I would like to see an emblem or something on the jacket. Finances seem to be a huge topic so what does it cost to have something like that made?

I don't mean to be critical of the corps, more so just curious about some of their decisions.

Oh well I'm still supporting them for the bold move to march bugles, They could wear pink for all I care.... (no pun on star)

Since this thread is about raising funds to get new equipment for Platinum, this seems like a better place than any to ask about their uniforms.

Please forgive me if I seem uninformed for saying this, but their 2010 uniforms seemed to be purchased on an extreme budget. There was no design or anything on them, just a sky blue jacket and white pants. I'm wondering if this is just a temporary uniform until they can get the funds for more interesting attire of if they're planning to add on to what they have, like maybe an emblem or a sash or anything else. But if that's the final uniform for Platinum, I'm wondering why they decided to go with something so plain. I don't mean for any of this to be derogatory, I'm just wondering if there's more than we've seen so far.

woo! Hope they sound good.