Yes, you hate electronics, but...

The soloist were mic'd because the entire drum corps was standing right behind them playing playing full out. Those screamers had plenty of power (I stood right in front of them at a rehearsal), but without the mic's you never would have heard them with the other 77 horns and the battery playing full out right behind them... no freakin way.

Bull ####.

Go watch Cavaliers 04 or Cadets 03.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like that was a mistake in arrangement. Plenty of single sop soloists stood out over the rest of the brass in the goode olde dayes. :confused:

Well I guess you could say that it was a mistake in the arrangement or the staging of the drill, but they did receive a MID SHOW STANDING OVATION after that moment.... So, I guess it worked out ok. :dontgetit:

I am sure their show designers will be sure to listen to you in the future though. I can't imagine they would want to do anything that you don't approve of, even if it gets the crowd to their feet in the middle of the show again. :shutup:

You mean, the screamers standing next to the mics for the DVD's?

Yes I do mean those.

And I do see your point, because the crowd didn't respond AT ALL when they played. Nope. They didn't applaud at all because they didn't hear what was going on. Didn't hear any applause during those sections WHATSOEVER. [/sarcasm]

The one and only use of amplification I thought was appropriate and necessary and tastefully done was the handbells in SCV '06. You wouldn't have been able to hear them otherwise.

I thought I remembered handbells being used in drum corps before amplification, and a quick search of these forums indicates Spirit '83, Freelancers '87, Cadets '92, Southwind '92, and SCV '93.

Bull ####.

Go watch Cavaliers 04 or Cadets 03.

Screamers playing one note and screamers playing melodic material being passed back and forth are a different thing, but again I will refer back to the standing O they got right after and say that maybe all of that was intentional... either way it sure seamed to work.

Yes I do mean those.

And I do see your point, because the crowd didn't respond AT ALL when they played. Nope. They didn't applaud at all because they didn't hear what was going on. Didn't hear any applause during those sections WHATSOEVER. [/sarcasm]

Well, you didn't see my point, because that isn't my point. It ends up being the same on the recordings as far as the screamers being heard.

Yes I do mean those.

Of course the crowd heard them. I was not saying that it was impossible to hear screamers with the corps behind them. What I was saying was what these guys this year were being asked to do (play an ascending melody that sequences upwards) with the whole corps parked right behind them was not gonna happen.

Also, Cavaliers and Cadets marched 16 less horns those years than the corps do now.

Well I guess you could say that it was a mistake in the arrangement or the staging of the drill, but they did receive a MID SHOW STANDING OVATION after that moment.... So, I guess it worked out ok. :dontgetit:

I am sure their show designers will be sure to listen to you in the future though. I can't imagine they would want to do anything that you don't approve of, even if it gets the crowd to their feet in the middle of the show again. :confused:

Yeah I guess it did!