Why not more Big-Band Jazz?

A 27 member stage band?

Methinks someone has been attending too many middle-school "jazz band" festivals.

Yeah, I am overshooting it. I was thinking the 60s era Kenton band with the two tubas, the french horns, the two bari saxes, but still with a band that big it was about 24.

Good call. I adjust my numbers...5 trumpets, 4 trombones, 5 saxes and a rhythm section of 4 works.

jazz can and has been done very well by drum corps. People are afraid to do it, probably because they feel the system doesn't reward it

Yep...that's it. That and and endless park n blow doesn't score high on the visual demand. Could be that too.

yeah cause jazz says you have to park and bark :tongue:

it's been a while Tom, since we had a "real jazz" show, so how can we tell what may be written? if you call BD last year a real jazz show, then you have a point, however others will cal you a hater and try to educate you on how groundbreaking it was and what a game changer it was :tongue:

I saw a jazz show or 3 in DCA the last few years that were far from park and bark...except at moments where it made sense to park and bark...and...gasp...they even threw a little body work in there at the holds.

imagine that

it's been a while Tom, since we had a "real jazz" show, so how can we tell what may be written? if you call BD last year a real jazz show, then you have a point, however others will cal you a hater and try to educate you on how groundbreaking it was and what a game changer it was :tongue:

I saw a jazz show or 3 in DCA the last few years that were far from park and bark...except at moments where it made sense to park and bark...and...gasp...they even threw a little body work in there at the holds.

imagine that

there are moments of big band jazz in many shows from the past 5 years. I would not call many of them a "Salute to Big Band" or anything. But, the park and blow seems to be endemic to the idiom. Big brass chorus...everybody doing the lean backs, the drummers all money style, the cymbal crashes? Ever seen this? Does this jog your memory?

there are moments of big band jazz in many shows from the past 5 years. I would not call many of them a "Salute to Big Band" or anything. But, the park and blow seems to be endemic to the idiom. Big brass chorus...everybody doing the lean backs, the drummers all money style, the cymbal crashes? Ever seen this? Does this jog your memory?

"moments"...you mean a quick hit, probably done explicity for that park and bark GE moment. we're talking whole shows...whole tunes, with...gasp...a flowing melody.

what your talking about has been programmed specifically for what you describe...that GE "Moment"

So let's go about this the other way.....if I listen to a jazz band playing "Midnight in Miami" -- a chart written originally FOR drum corps -- and there's a bari sax playing Bob Barfield's bari solo (the one before the bass run)....I should be upset??

Can't we just enjoy the &^#^$ music???