CrownGUARD taking 2011 off

Not if you're selling a World Class winter guard program. Staff, regionals and rehearsal facilities will get the bill up really fast!

Later,

Mike

I understand the costs of all that you mention, but still looking for real budget that costs what you say. You can sell a successful program at any level (A through World) with cost well under what you have mentioned. If you have specifics, lets see it. Otherwise it's just frivolous spending the could probably be cut back anyway or an organization that does not know (or chooses not to) be fiscally sound.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets take into consideration all the expenses made since about 05. 03-05 crown had practically the same basic uniform and decided to change the white to purple and add some extra parts to the uniform to fit the show. 07-they go brown and add the brown sash cape thing and get brown plumes, not to mention the race track gates as props. 08-they go to a tan plume and each stripe on the uniform jacket is a different patter rather than all the jackets having the same. 09-they go green on us adding the vines, a green plume, and I think the uniform got a different shade of cream added to it. Finally 10- they get completely new uniform, (as told by members from this past season) they tried to make tan gloves using dye and gave up on that after a while and they bought those gold horns.....hmmm might be getting a little to hasty with their money and it's hitting them hard.

As for uniform sponsorships, I know that for most corps (phantom, bluecoats, cavaliers, etc) each have the chance to get a new uniform every 3 years or so, not every year. But I don't know if crowns uniform contract was different from those other corps

Crown's 07, 08 & 09 were exactly the same...the only changes were accessories and plumes.

Let's not forget that the winter guard probably doesn't bring in a great deal of money, where the corps does. So if the organization has one group that brings in money, and two that it is funding...it makes sense to me.

And before we get so bent out of shape...doe all of the other "top" corps have multiple ensembles under their belt? And if they do, are each of these ensembles bringing in money, as well as spending it?

I will not pretend to know what the costs are of running a competitive WGI guard, but I say good for Crown for deciding not to overextend themselves. Those guys have made some very shrewd business decisions in the last decade to get them where they are, and if they made this call, it's probably for the best.

Another thing to remember: these days, guards attached to corps are often (not ALWAYS, just often) more a function of the instructor, not the organization. IIRC, Phantom's guard went under and Crown's appeared around the same time. Maybe it wasn't meeting the needs of the overall organization.

It's all about risk vs. reward, right?

Q - was adam sage direction for the winterguard?

coincidences? :tongue:

Ummm - no it doesn't. I ran a guard - and there's no way you can run it for $25K - you're looking at at least $80K to $100K and that's low balling it.

Later,

Mike

I run one, and I can assure you that the few gold medals that we have won I did it with no where NEAR 80-100K....

And I can almost BET you that the financial drop of support has effected them.

But taking a year here and there off doesn't show that you are a "world-class" caliber program.

If it doesn't turn a profit, WHICH IT CAN as I do it ALL THE TIME!

Then they need to dis-associate the whole program from the CROWN family.

But say what you want, I promise you they are not making smart decisions down there in the "jewel" land. Possibly cut back the outrageous spending and maybe quit acting like competing in Drum Corps is actually a burden on Crown.

Well if you wanna see a breakdown, ask them.... They do after all HAVE to make those budgets public. They are nonprofit and really have no choice.

I run one, and I can assure you that the few gold medals that we have won I did it with no where NEAR 80-100K....

it can easily run at least 50 grand with bus transportation for regionals and Dayton ( depends where you are from ) a place to practice can easily be 15 grand many i know pay that, especially Independents, Costuming, insurance, equipment, instructor salaries for many in World class. Yes out of hand But it is a realility. A few new ones coming out but many take a year or so off and some are just packin it in. Sad.

And I can almost BET you that the financial drop of support has effected them.

But taking a year here and there off doesn't show that you are a "world-class" caliber program.

If it doesn't turn a profit, WHICH IT CAN as I do it ALL THE TIME!

Then they need to dis-associate the whole program from the CROWN family.

But say what you want, I promise you they are not making smart decisions down there in the "jewel" land. Possibly cut back the outrageous spending and maybe quit acting like competing in Drum Corps is actually a burden on Crown.

Well if you wanna see a breakdown, ask them.... They do after all HAVE to make those budgets public. They are nonprofit and really have no choice.

Exactly which guard do you run?

If you earn a profit running a winterguard, you should be a speaker at SpinFest because there are a lot quality organizations who seem to struggling just to break even every season.