Raising DCI's Ageout Limit

Would make it harder for newbies to make the cut..... might kill interest.....

Not only are there definite ethical considerations in a corps that marches 14 year olds along side 26 year olds, drum corps is not life. Drum corps is a youth activity and after college ends (right around the time you age out hopefully haha), there are more important things than putting life on hold for an entire season to run around a football field. Like supporting and teaching those who are. Like establishing yourself.

I would not want to see the age-out limit raised. Drum corps is a youth activity. Many like to say that "youth" excludes 22 year old college seniors but the fact of the matter is that the age of dependency has been consistently raised with the prevalence of higher education.

Age out limit is fine where it is.

it's not DCI's fault if you can't graduate in 4 years.

no one graduates in four years anymore...maybe kinesiology (sp?) majors, but that's about it... ESPECIALLY not music majors

no one graduates in four years anymore...maybe kinesiology (sp?) majors, but that's about it... ESPECIALLY not music majors

lots of people graduate in 4 years

if you are taking more than 4 years, perhaps you [you in general... not you specifically] should use the summer after your 4th year to take summer classes, instead of playing marching band.

Not only are there definite ethical considerations in a corps that marches 14 year olds along side 26 year olds...

This can (and does) happen in DCA. What's the problem?

• Like 1

I think you'll find the majority of 22-26 year old folks looking for something else than marching for the summer, especially as you creep towards the mid-to-late 20's.

Who said all of the corps had to do a full tour? In fact, whenever I would read press coverage of Jersey Surf or similar corps they would always profile at least one person who chose the corps in order to also have a job over the summer.

• Like 1

Who said all of the corps had to do a full tour? In fact, whenever I would read press coverage of Jersey Surf or similar corps they would always profile at least one person who chose the corps in order to also have a job over the summer.

Let's come clean. Do you want more years so you can still have eligibility? On what grounds are you talking about benefits to the members? Is this just for the sake of debate?

This can (and does) happen in DCA. What's the problem?

DCA is a different environment than DCI; a large-scale national tour presents a completely different social environment than the weekend-only DCA stuff does.

Not that I would expect anything to happen in either circuit, but, really . . .DCI would become a difficult sell for a "youth activity" (as its charter defines it) with 26 year old folks there.

DCA is a different environment than DCI; a large-scale national tour presents a completely different social environment than the weekend-only DCA stuff does.

Not that I would expect anything to happen in either circuit, but, really . . .DCI would become a difficult sell for a "youth activity" (as its charter defines it) with 26 year old folks there.

This. Hrothgar, the fact that you would compare the DCA experience to the full-summer-close-quarters environment of the DCI tour tells me you don't quite understand the ethical issues arising from the simple nature of the tour. There is no way in the world I'd want 14 year olds and 26 year olds together in the same corps over that duration of time. It's already a slight issue when dealing with minors vs. those of age.

Some things you need to experience to understand; DCI summer tour is one of them.