Your ten favorite moments in drum corps history

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said that, 84 Garfield's company front out of nowhere would be on that list.

Which a lot more people would be able to see IF THE *&^#^%#^ CAMERA SHOT HADN'T SWITCHED TO THE PIT JUST AS THE FRONT WAS FORMING!!

GOD that still pisses me off...camera work in the mid 80s SUCKED! :smile::thumbup: :thumbup:

2010 Star Alumni Corps - I'm only 24 years old so this is the only time I have ever gotten to see Star. I had tears in my eyes. Could truly feel the passion coming through the music especially on the first fanfare they played.

thank you.

Things that I find myself watching / listening to over and over again:

91 Star: Cross to Cross

00 BD: last 30 seconds

92 Cavies: the transition to the final form of the opener

97 SCV: The Pas de Deux opener music arrangement and performance

93 Phantom: the build-up to the crabwalk wedge and then the wedge

05 Cadets: last 30 seconds of the ballad

99 SCV: The Canyon opener...every aspect of it

97 BD: brass and guard throughout the opener

Things that I find myself watching / listening to over and over again:

91 Star: Cross to Cross

00 BD: last 30 seconds

92 Cavies: the transition to the final form of the opener

97 SCV: The Pas de Deux opener music arrangement and performance

93 Phantom: the build-up to the crabwalk wedge and then the wedge

05 Cadets: last 30 seconds of the ballad

99 SCV: The Canyon opener...every aspect of it

97 BD: brass and guard throughout the opener

No recording can capture how great that was live. I must have saw that show 20 times, ballad was great each time.

In no particular order, these are things that absolutely floored me on impact in a certain way:

-BD's snare line in 82 making a 90 degree angle with their sticks that appeared and disappeared LIKETHAT.

-Suncoast's first bass run in 85. The "wait, what?" factor that's been discussed on other threads is absolutely correct.

-The corps that brought the funny-Memphis Blues' marching band parody in 82, Pee-Wee in 88 for VK (first time I saw that was at our home show; I was in full uniform in the stands and I laughed so hard. Not DM-level behavior), Suncoast's guard pulling out pink ribbons in the "When you Wish Upon a Star" bit in Florida Suite, VK tossing golf balls on "One two three FORE!" in 84, Spirit's duck hunt in 86, Troopers cymbal line's one-act play in their drum solo in 85, etc.

-The last 1:30 or so of Madison's 88 show-best controlled chaos I've ever seen or heard in drum corps.

-The amazing fluidity of movement in the SCV pit in 84. This pro-level style of operation is commonplace now, but watching the way they interacted with each other and moved sticks, cymbals, mallets, and bodies during the course of that show was astonishing. It was, actually, the first time I ever heard the term "pit" used. by the next season, everyone was saying it.

-Spartacus 81 and 82. The first version, on impact, was stunning, and the second year was amazing mainly for how clean it was in June, and for how much emotion they could wring out of it anyway, ie DeKalb.

-Immediately after our show at Whitewater finals, 1983.

No recording can capture how great that was live. I must have saw that show 20 times, ballad was great each time.

The crescendo a little bit after the snares came in was possibly the most perfect one I have ever heard....it was like someone just turned the volume knob up.

thought of another to add to my 10: Cavaliers horn line step over the guard - chills, especially with the pause... Bad ###

Excellent call!

Absolutely a classic moment in drum corps history.

Which a lot more people would be able to see IF THE *&^#^%#^ CAMERA SHOT HADN'T SWITCHED TO THE PIT JUST AS THE FRONT WAS FORMING!!

GOD that still pisses me off...camera work in the mid 80s SUCKED! :smile::thumbup: :thumbup:

I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

This was early in my drum corps watching years, and I happened to see Garfield several times that year, so I knew what was coming. I stood, and like an idiot SCREAMED at the stupid TV and the stupid camera people who missed that shot.

Just like you, it STILL makes me mad!

Edited by wvu80