Your ten favorite moments in drum corps history

Just wondering what your ten favorite moments were in drum corps history. This can include WC, OC, DCA, visual moments or musical moments.

1. Santa Clara Vanguard- Disappearing phantom. 21 years later and this is still one of the most enjoyed shows of all time.

2. Velvet Knights-The Shark. While they have used several different versions of the shark, the ending of 1992 is still one of my most enjoyable moments of all time.

3. 1994 Blue Devils-In the middle of this show, there is one of most incredibly loud moments that not only blew my face off, but gave me one of the best sets of goosebumps ever. Definitely one of my all time favorite musical moments.

4. Les E'Toiles-Spinning drums 98. I think they used these in more than one show, but 98 was the year that I remember for sure. This was an awesome corps from Canada, and I really wish they were still around.

5. Blue Devils 2000-This is the only time in all my years around drum corps I remember that a pit has received a standing ovation. The pit accelerando was absolutely amazing, and I have watched and played this over and over on my dvd/cd players.

6. Cavaliers-Diamond Cutter. Used both in 1999 and 2000, this still is one of my favorite drill moves ever.

7. Santa Clara Vanguard-1985 The tunnel. Used several times over the years, most recently in 2004. What a great effect.

8. Santa Clara Vanguard-1986-The broom trick. 24 years later, and I would still love to know how it's done.

9. Cadets-disappearing company front-what an incredible show as drum corps drill was really starting to evolve.

10. Santa Clara Vanguard-1994-when the 2 hornlines cross and the colorguard appears wearing an entire new costume was another wow moment for SCV.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hit some great moments!!! Only one I would add is the SCV "Bottle Dance".

:smile:

Just a few...

Star of Indiana: "Cross to Cross" 1990-1991

Blue Devils: "Legend of the One - Eyed Sailor" 1976

Santa Clara Vanguard: helicopter sounds/giant flag 1991

Cavaliers: "Fight Club" 2002

Boston Crusaders: 2 lines meet on the 50 and collapse into a box drill move 2000

Cavaliers: "Gavorkna Fanfare" 1992

Suncoast Sound: "Midnight in Miami" 1985

Every company front Boston played during Conquest

The giant wheel and push after from 27 during Danny Boy

Edited by srsadersnare

Madison's "Death Star" formation with the flash bulbs going off in 1978

SCV pulling out the Bottle Dance in 1982 and the stands practically erupting with space shuttle lift-off decibal equivalent applause as a result

Phantom OTL in 1978

Cavaliers "Machine"

Carolina Crown crowd response after placement announcement at 2006 Finals... the collective "UGH..." from practically everyone there

Madisons "Baby throwing" Malaguena crowd melt-down best ever version

North Star snareline

Bridgemen drum solo 1982 (and for that matter, SCV and Blue Devils drum solos in '82 as well... great year for the drum solo)

Bluecoats - in general =P

Guardsmen rifle toss over the contra bass horns in 1979 from 45 yard line to 45 yard line... unheard of these days.

Edited by GGarrett

1. Santa Clara Vanguard- Disappearing phantom. 21 years later and this is still one of the most enjoyed shows of all time.

Apparently you had to be there. While I much prefer hearing the SCV arrangements (either year) to the original rock musical, on video the ending falls flat, with way too much emphasis on the cheap magic trick up front and too little context.

Not going to put a number to these because I just can't rank them(=and forgive me for my biases lol)

-Madison 1995- Rotating company front to the end-Textbook example of how to get babies thrown. I can only imagine what it was like in person!

-Phantom 2008- "I am Sparticus!"-I was there in person....... words can't describe the energy and emotion of that moment.

-Cavaliers 2000- Diamond rotations at the end of the show- simply stunning visual moment, and one of my favorite hornlines.

-Star 1993- Horns and drums blastissimo cluster that resolves to the big symphonic chord near the end- classic tension and release moment. Gives me goosbumps every time I watch it.

-Madison 1975- "The Way We Were" push to the end- Just straight up classic drum corps right there.

-Cadets 2005- All of Dancer in the Dark- simply amazing.

-Vanguard 2009- The whole show-Probably the only drum corps show I could truly call beautiful.

-Blue Devils 1997- The main soprano soloist is just ice cold the entire show. Amazing chops right there.

-Bluecoats 2008- The Boxer hit- One of the greatest brass moments in DCI history IMO.

-Madison 1998- Remembrance- My all time favorite drum corps chart. Could listen to it a million times and never get tired of it.

In no particular order:

27th Lancers (can't remember the year) Danny Boy with the wheel.

Vanguard '89...euph soloist at the end, then disappearing.

Phantom '89 whole show...that's my favorite show of all time.

Whenever Vanguard busts out with the bottle dance...or the classic Vanguard pose.

Vanguard '09, going into the company front and the following 15-second chord (including the aforementioned pose)

Whenever Phantom kicks the leg out...'89, '03, '07...

Phantom '07 during Firebird where the mellos are holding one note out forever and the rest of the corps is going nuts around them.

Phantom '08, watching Will Pitts get speared. I AM SPARTACUS!

Every time Bones comes out.

Mass Brass Allentown 2004...look that up on YouTube, both Crossmen and Spirit hornlines teaming up to play Georgia and Russian Christmas.

2008 Phantom I am Spartacus

2000 Boston when they hit the Conquest moment

1987 Cadets company front/scatter/reformed company front

1992 VK Shark

1992 SCV Bottle Dance

1992 Crossmen Drum solo

1982 Bridgemen Drum solo

1995 end of Madison's show

1994 BD

2004 SCV opening

Edited by Jeff Ream

-- in no particular order, for the most part --

- 1975 SCV, whole show

- 1974 Muchachos Finals show

- Bottle dance

- Rockford file

- Bacchanale, 1991

- Garfield Cadets 1986 (I believe) part of the show with fast drill and music and guard carrying the streamer frames over the hornline as they move

- marching into Franklin Field in 1975

- marching into Olympic Stadium in 1982

- 1976 Phantom DM playing the rifle/flag "organ" during Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

- Troopers sunburst

BTW, XmenRam, any year you hear 2-7 playing Danny Boy you can count on a pinwheel :smile: