Soloist Stories or Nightmares!

That happened in our corps but it happened at the start of the show (Crown Imperial) and a 3rd Sop saw it an without a pause yanked his mouthpiece out and handed to the lead sop. This guy played a lot of high notes for us too.
Edited by srsadersnare

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That happened in our corps but it happened at the start of the show (Crown Imperial) and a 3rd Sop saw it an without a pause yanked his mouthpiece out and handed to the lead sop. This guy played a lot of high notes for us too.

My first performance ever with a Drum Corps, '82 Arbella, doing a standstill in a gym pre-season. We played a Bill Chase tune for our opener and had a screaming sop soloist, Mike Pantinella (sp?). Hot as all h$ll in that gym, he finished his solo and blacked out, fell backwards without bending or breaking his fall in any way, like a dead tree, hit his head pretty hard on that gym floor.

Mike Pantinella is still around...playing trumpet for a local band "One Moe Time". It's on a website with him and his bio so I don't feel like I am invading his privacy. He played with us in Annunciators, Cambridge/Somerviell Cavilliers and Alliance too...great screecher

Ok, not on a grand scale like some of these but I had the solo in 75 in the Cavalier Cadets. I was 14. I played a solo in the song, He's Got the Whole World in His Hands. Yes, the religious song. When I first started playing it I wasn’t loud enough. When I was loud enough I wasn’t in tune. Finally, by the end of the year I was doing pretty good but I got cocky and started doing this little horn spin before my solo. One show in front of the largest crowd of the year, with most of my family in the stands, I almost dropped my horn. ARGH. At 49 I still dream about it.

My cousin was recording the show on his cassette recorder and on the tape you can hear my cousin say in a low voice, “Oh, sh*&” right at that spot. Until the day he died, he never let me forget it. LOL!

71 Legion Nationals finals in Houston, my rotar stuck and made my solo in Golden Slumber sound pretty weird because there were a few #'s that could only be played with a rotar.

72 somewhere, Dave Richards gave me four ticks on my solo in Zipadeedodah. 10 years later, we just happened to be on the same plane headed for Montreal for DCI. I told him about it and he told me--you deserved it! Thanks alot Dave--I thought.......and he's probably right!

There was a Memorial Day service in front of the Park Ridge Village Hall in 1976 and The Cavaliers were there to support the home town event. The entire corps formed two lines facing each other down the walk to the flagpole, through which walked the two soprano players who were to play "Taps" and the "Taps" echo. The first soloist got cotton mouth when it was time to play. (For those who haven't heard the term, it's when the mouth goes totally dry.) He kept trying to make his horn play, but all that came out was the sound of a hyena being forced into a meat grinder. The echo effect player kept presenting the echo, probably hoping the primary soloist would be able to finish, but it only got worse as it went on. It was the most painful thing I ever heard from the corps in my three years as a member. The worst part for the soloist was the two had to walk through the double line of corps members to get back to position after the performance. I still remember the look on the face of the guy who suffered the indignity of embarrassing himself and the corps. It looked like he was praying for a brain hemorrhage to strike him so he wouldn't have to look anyone in the face afterwards.

Ironic that this came up as Dave Sullivan just passed away, (RIP Sully!) but Dave told me this story and always wanted the record straight. Dave was the baritone soloist in Bayonne in '80 and at I-don't-know-what-show, he was asked to play the National Anthem. As the show started, right on cue, Dave put his horn up and got through 3 or 4 notes when his valve froze! Thinking quickly he ran back into formation and grabbed the nearest kid's baritone he could find, ran back and played the Anthem. The crowd, knowing the Bridgemen, thought it was a joke! Half laughed, half were upset and he heard people complaining about how the "Bridgemen are such cut-ups they actually mess with the Star Spangled Banner!" He was always adamant that he wasn't screwing around, that it was the only thing he could do!

Personally, I almost had the same thing. At some show when I was with the Cadets, I too played the Anthem solo on my baritone before the show, only to get to the second to last note, and feeling "home free!" when I fracked it big time! Grrr!! Lesson learned. Never let down your concentration.

That was 1979. I did not know the circumstances about why he stopped until a couple of years ago. I did think it was a joke for 25 years.

... but all that came out was the sound of a hyena being forced into a meat grinder.

That is one of the funniest things I've ever read on DCP. :laughing:

I lost my soprano mpc once in a horn move during a standstill performance. It landed in the lap of an audience member who was literally 2 feet from me, but I couldn't move to get it. I had a solo in the next song, but no mpc, and before the song started while my horn was at my side in a trail position, someone ran up out of my peripheral vision and threw a mpc in my horn, and to this day I don't know who that was.

So the good news was I had a mpc. Bad news, it was a V cup mellophone mpc. Try getting consistent High Es and Fs with that when you aren't prepared for it! Turns out, the mpc was that of a horn player whom had lost theirs on the same move!

There was a Memorial Day service in front of the Park Ridge Village Hall in 1976 and The Cavaliers were there to support the home town event. The entire corps formed two lines facing each other down the walk to the flagpole, through which walked the two soprano players who were to play "Taps" and the "Taps" echo. The first soloist got cotton mouth when it was time to play. (For those who haven't heard the term, it's when the mouth goes totally dry.) He kept trying to make his horn play, but all that came out was the sound of a hyena being forced into a meat grinder. The echo effect player kept presenting the echo, probably hoping the primary soloist would be able to finish, but it only got worse as it went on. It was the most painful thing I ever heard from the corps in my three years as a member. The worst part for the soloist was the two had to walk through the double line of corps members to get back to position after the performance. I still remember the look on the face of the guy who suffered the indignity of embarrassing himself and the corps. It looked like he was praying for a brain hemorrhage to strike him so he wouldn't have to look anyone in the face afterwards.

It wasn't Larry P was it?