Soloist Stories or Nightmares!

1981 with DCA's Sunrisers..... Mike Fitzpatrick (mellophone) and I (French horn) had a duet in "Late in the Evening."

At the Boston Cup show that season... sometime in late June, I think it was..... the two of us had an absolutely HORRIBLE night. I mean, we completely gacked/mangled the duet that night. The worst we played it all season, by far... including rehearsals.

The upshot of the whole thing: Our corps (Sun) won the show.... our first win that season. Go figure. LOL. Heck, it was our first win since the 1979 season.

So... of course..... everyone in the corps wanted to hear the judges' tapes/cassette playback(s) of the performance... and, as a result, got to hear the fractured duet.... over, and over, and over again. :tongue:

Mike and I heard it once.... then didn't want to hear it again. LOL. We walked away, went to get a bite to eat and then numerous beers. :tongue:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... it wasn't supposed to be a solo, but I once left four counts early after concert. Hit the first two notes beautifully before I realized what I had just done. :tongue:

Jimmy Stanko, unofficial historian for the New York Skyliners, has been busy for the past year compiling a list of every Skyliner soloist since time immemorial.

He has this to say about those unintended early entries: "I don't classify it as a solo unless it made the record."

Well... it wasn't supposed to be a solo, but I once left four counts early after concert. Hit the first two notes beautifully before I realized what I had just done. :tongue:

I believe the technical term for that kind of solo is a #### up. :tongue:

Edited by rayfallon

I believe the technical term for that kind of solo is a #### up. :tongue:

LOL!! That's funny. I held a note a little to long in '76 and made the album. At least it sounded good and was in tune. As the famous Jim Alvord use to tell us in '77 "If you are going to &^%* up, at least make it a good sounding ^%&* up".

Edited by dc oldtimer

It wasn't Larry P was it?

I think it was either Tommy Poz or Dave Wilson. If Larry had that problem he would just start hitting grand C's for the heck of it.

Blue Devils B in about 80-81 we had pants that had adjustble waist with a zipper contraption. The sop soloist went up to do his thing when the zipper came apart. He ended up doing the solo with one hand on his horn and the other hand holding his pants on.

1976 Muchachos a show in Conn. While loading on to the buses getting ready to travel to the show (after a full day of practice), I was told I needed a new hat. (I paraphrase due to this being a family forum.) "When we get to the show get one", but when we arrived at the show, the truck had to move quickly away from the field entrance. I dress as quickly as I could; we didn't have much time due to our arriving late. I got a different hat. What I didn't know was the buses were being moved at the same time I was at the truck getting a new hat to the parking lot 250 yards away from the field. I never got the chance to get my sop off the bus. A member of the staff ran to the bus, grabbed the first sop he saw, and ran back to the field and handed the sop to me...only problem; he never brought the mouth piece with the horn. I went through the whole show without a mouth piece. We won the show and high horns.