RIP Ted Key

Please find below the obituary from The Toronto Star regarding the passing of Ted Key.

Ted was known to so many people in the Drum Corps World. He was a talented musician. He was a member of Canada's Marching Ambassadors where he served as Drum Major, music arranger and horn instructor. He had also served as the director and music arranger of the DCAT (Drum Corps Alumni Toronto) Chorus.

We send our deepest sympathy to his wife and family.

Edward Lewis Key

|

KEY, Edward Lewis - August 5, 1939 -- October 7, 2010 After a long and hard fought battle with cancer, Ted Key passed away peacefully with his loving wife Jean, of 36 years, at his side. Ted leaves behind his sons Teddy and Andrew (Katlyn) and his two adored grandsons, Ryan and Jordan. Ted was predeceased by his mother Daisy Key (Loveridge) and his father Edward Key. Aside from his devotion to his family, Ted had 3 other passions. He loved music. He had a long and successful career as a music teacher with the TDSB at Parkway Vocational School, Brockton High School and Danforth Technical School. He was an excellent teacher who used enthusiasm and humour to bring out the best in his students. For many years, Ted was a member of the Canadian Judges Association which adjudicated marching bands in Canada and the United States. Ted was also the Musical Director for the DCAT chorus which put on many successful performances in the GTA. Ted was a proud member of Remembrance Masonic Lodge and the Scottish Rite. Finally, Ted loved his cottage at Dickey Lake. It was his refuge and his castle. He loved to put on lavish dinner parties for his friends and neighbours. He could tell a good joke. Ted was a Director and President of Shawano Ratepayers for many years. His family would like to thank the medical staff at Sunnybrook Hospital for their care and compassion during this difficult time. He was a terrific husband, a great Dad and an indulgent grandfather. He will be sorely missed. Visitation will be held from 5 to 9 p.m. on Monday, October 11th at the Ogden Funeral Home, 4164 Sheppard Ave. E., Scarborough (east of Kennedy Rd.). Funeral Service will be held in the Ogden Chapel at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, October 12.

I first met Ted in 1971 when he came to the Commanders along with many of his Marching Ambassador friends after their corps had folded up. Ted wrote the charts and taught the hornline in 71 and 72. He was also the drum major of the 71 corps. I will best remember "Fingers" sitting in a bar after a contest in Dunkirk NY or some other small town, banging away on the piano as we all sang "The Old Songs" together. He put a lot of the joy into the senior drum corps experience for me.

Please find below the obituary from The Toronto Star regarding the passing of Ted Key.

Ted was known to so many people in the Drum Corps World. He was a talented musician. He was a member of Canada's Marching Ambassadors where he served as Drum Major, music arranger and horn instructor. He had also served as the director and music arranger of the DCAT (Drum Corps Alumni Toronto) Chorus.

Edward Lewis Key

|

KEY, Edward Lewis - August 5, 1939 -- October 7, 2010 After a long and hard fought battle with cancer, Ted Key passed away peacefully with his loving wife Jean, of 36 years, at his side. Ted leaves behind his sons Teddy and Andrew (Katlyn) and his two adored grandsons, Ryan and Jordan. Ted was predeceased by his mother Daisy Key (Loveridge) and his father Edward Key. Aside from his devotion to his family, Ted had 3 other passions. He loved music. He had a long and successful career as a music teacher with the TDSB at Parkway Vocational School, Brockton High School and Danforth Technical School. He was an excellent teacher who used enthusiasm and humour to bring out the best in his students. For many years, Ted was a member of the Canadian Judges Association which adjudicated marching bands in Canada and the United States. Ted was also the Musical Director for the DCAT chorus which put on many successful performances in the GTA. Ted was a proud member of Remembrance Masonic Lodge and the Scottish Rite. Finally, Ted loved his cottage at Dickey Lake. It was his refuge and his castle. He loved to put on lavish dinner parties for his friends and neighbours. He could tell a good joke. Ted was a Director and President of Shawano Ratepayers for many years. His family would like to thank the medical staff at Sunnybrook Hospital for their care and compassion during this difficult time. He was a terrific husband, a great Dad and an indulgent grandfather. He will be sorely missed. Visitation will be held from 5 to 9 p.m. on Monday, October 11th at the Ogden Funeral Home, 4164 Sheppard Ave. E., Scarborough (east of Kennedy Rd.). Funeral Service will be held in the Ogden Chapel at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, October 12.

I first met Ted in 1971 when he came to the Commanders along with many of his Marching Ambassador friends after their corps had folded up. Ted wrote the charts and taught the hornline in 71 and 72. He was also the drum major of the 71 corps. I will best remember "Fingers" sitting in a bar after a contest in Dunkirk NY or some other small town, banging away on the piano as we all sang "The Old Songs" together. He put a lot of the joy into the senior drum corps experience for me.

A terrible loss for the Drum Corps community. My sincerest condolences to his family.

another friend is gone... what a great man Ted was...

Had the distinct pleasure of knowing Ted through his association with D-Cat and GAS.......a truer gentleman never lived. He will be missed......

R.I.P. My Canadian brother.

Edward Lewis Key

|

Thank you Bruce. I moved back home from K-W May 1975, with no intention of marching, however, Mr. Petschke asked me to assist. I shared DM duties with Dawn Canning and continued as part time guard tech for Ventures and Seneca Princemen. Tony Capizzano (may he rest in peace) was part time drill designer for Princemen and Oakland Crusaders. Our drum staff of John Cameron and Rich Hogan may have taught other corps the summer of 75.

Ted Key was Seneca Princemen's horn instructor 1975. I recall the horn line was young with many new members. Ted took up the challenge and by summer's end the line sounded sweet. I too have fond memories of Ted at the piano either tweeking arrangements or starting a sing along. This act of leadership, fun and camaraderie had resulted in bringing the staff and members together. When we sang together, we felt as one team, thanks to Ted Key. May he Rest in Peace. Sincere condolences to the family.

Ted was the MAIN reason that my corps the Royal Coachmen were good in 1976. Going to miss him and his Don Luce joke. See ya later Ted!

Edward Lewis Key

|

Tony Capizzano (may he rest in peace) was part time drill designer for Princemen and Oakland Crusaders. Our drum staff of John Cameron and Rich Hogan may have taught other corps the summer of 75.

I was not aware that Tony Capazanno passed away. When did this happen? He was another great guy from DeLaSalle and he will be greatly missed. Please give me some information on this; I'm shocked.