major weakness with current A&E

I am in favor of anything that will cost more money, and in return increase the possiblility of failure. :smile:

While I'm in agreement ... isn't the major weakness that they exist to begin with? Or is that just me?

I was under the impression that you do not need an actual wireless internet connection, just a wireless network connection (like when two laptops connect to each other through a user-created network and are not connected to WiFi). There should be a wireless broadcast system of some sorts on the systems, I believe.

I could also be totally wrong.

I think you're completely correct. There's no need for internet -- in fact you could make this work with a point-to-point wireless connection and not really have a "network" at all.

The way I understand it is that they do not adjust the levels based on what the operator hears from the track. There is always someone from the staff in the audience with a cell phone or walkie-talkie telling the operator to change the levels.

Perhaps there is communication but the results have been somewhat disappointing to many. In any case having the sound operator in the stands would still be superior to relayed communications (if only because the operator can use their own ears to fix things instead of relying on another opinion).

Yes they do. You can remote mix from an ipad to some of the digital boards that they have out there now. It is illegal though (but one drum corps did it anyway this last year and got busted doing it finals week). I do think they will probably make it legal for everyone to do it though next season.

Illegal how? The ipad was calling the sound board with adjustments !!

Illegal how? The ipad was calling the sound board with adjustments !!

Because the rule is as of right now that you cannot remote mix.

The reasoning I think was that not every stadium has a place where you can go and do this without disturbing the audience or judges by talking on a cell phone or walkie-talkie. However, with an ipad you should be able to do this now without worrying about being a disturbance. The only issue I see is corps having access to a place in or near the box where they can do the remote mixing. This last summer one staff was doing this from the yamaha booth right next to the judges, which could be considered an unfair advantage to anyone that does not play yamaha.

Because the rule is as of right now that you cannot remote mix.

The reasoning I think was that not every stadium has a place where you can go and do this without disturbing the audience or judges by talking on a cell phone or walkie-talkie. However, with an ipad you should be able to do this now without worrying about being a disturbance. The only issue I see is corps having access to a place in or near the box where they can do the remote mixing. This last summer one staff was doing this from the yamaha booth right next to the judges, which could be considered an unfair advantage to anyone that does not play yamaha.

There is no rule that forbids remote mixing.

Additionally, DCI provides a location for corps sound engineers at all major shows and championships. I should know, that was part of my job last summer.

Edited by Kamarag

It would have to be a locked/dedicated network. The last thing you want is a corps sound tech unable to adjust settings because to many folk in the audience are on Facebook. A bit like when Steve Jobs first tried to demo the ipad.

There is no rule that forbids remote mixing.

Additionally, DCI provides a location for corps sound engineers at all major shows and championships. I should know, that was part of my job last summer.

Yes there is a rule and no they do not provide a place to locate sound engineers at every major show and championships. I was part of numerous conversations with show promoters about this very thing.

If the ipad is 3G it would work right?

Ya, like the way 3G works with my Sprint wirless "Hotspot"? I supposedly live in one of the highest signal areas in the country (according to sprint), yet I gave up trying to watch video's online due to the horrible speed and tendency to go from good signal to great signal to no signal.

Creating any situation where a part of the corps performance relies on multiple electronic systems is a bad idea. Throw in the uncertainty of wireless and you've got a nightmare. The worst part of it IMO is that those corps that choose to go that route will likely see no negative consequences when their system fails or the wireless goes out. DCI really NEEDS to start judging the quality of electronics/amps the same as they would good or bad tone quality from a hornline.