major weakness with current A&E

But again, except for regionals it was hit or miss if there was a location, and whether the contest coordinator knew about it, or cared about it...just sayin' that was my experience.

Donny

This is true, and my guess is it will be addressed and improve in the future. To be honest, we only used the phone communication system when we knew it would help. If the show was in small stadium, we didn't bother, as the sound was much (if at all) different at the box than it was at the board. In medium and larger high school stadiums, I walked up and stood just below or off to the side of the press box.

Hey John,

I think that several are pointing out that the remote operation of the mix is illegal. The 2010 DCI Contest Rules, Under 4.3.1 (4th paragraph), state:

"The board cannot be adjusted via remote control. It must be adjusted with the use of a corps member or a member of the competing’ corps team. The “sound person” may or may not, speak to a corps representative in the stadium, in the stands, and via phone or wireless device."

So it is clearly stated, NO remote operation of mix. That would include via iPad, iPhone, etc. That would be "remote control" of the mix, as shown in the Yamaha video. Cell phones can be used to communicate "to a corps representative". Please, don't try to argue that your mixer is now considered a corps representative, and that you speaking to him/her/it ;o)

The only memo sent out (2009) was that staff members need to TEXT, not talk, since it was a nuisance for audience members. " I SAID, TURN THE DJEMBE DOWN AAAAH!!!"...

We can get into a philosophical argument about IF remote operation should be legal, but that's not what a few (Roosevelt, etc) are getting at in this thread.

And someone HAD to bring up the Jabba laugh...

Edited by wunderlich

Hey John,

I think that several are pointing out that the remote operation of the mix is illegal. The 2010 DCI Contest Rules, Under 4.3.1 (4th paragraph), state:

"The board cannot be adjusted via remote control. It must be adjusted with the use of a corps member or a member of the competing’ corps team. The “sound person” may or may not, speak to a corps representative in the stadium, in the stands, and via phone or wireless device."

So it is clearly stated, NO remote operation of mix. That would include via iPad, iPhone, etc. That would be "remote control" of the mix, as shown in the Yamaha video. Cell phones can be used to communicate "to a corps representative". Please, don't try to argue that your mixer is now considered a corps representative, and that you speaking to him/her/it ;o)

The only memo sent out (2009) was that staff members need to TEXT, not talk, since it was a nuisance for audience members. " I SAID, TURN THE DJEMBE DOWN AAAAH!!!"...

We can get into a philosophical argument about IF remote operation should be legal, but that's not what a few (Roosevelt, etc) are getting at in this thread.

And someone HAD to bring up the Jabba laugh...

:devil:

:lol:

Ok, I'm going to post this one time. For the record, in addition to my brass staff duties at Teal Sound, I am also one of the sound engineers.

With regard to number 1: Communication by telephone, telegraph, smoke signals, jungle drums, signal flares, Star Trek communicators and mental telepathy are perfectly legal, from anywhere in the world (or space) to the corps staffer at the sound board. It was legal before 2010, but was specifically codified within the rules for the 2010 season. While iPad controls are not expressly mentioned, they are not codified as illegal either, hence the communication problem the Bluecoats had in Indy.

Number 2: DCI already provides a specific location set aside for sound engineers to sit/stand while in communication with the staffer at the board. They do so at ALL DCI REGIONALS and Indy. Period, dot, all stop. For example, in Allentown the camera platform just below the box on Side 1 was specifically reserver for corps video and sound engineers. In Atlanta the seat was in the Luxury Box on the 50.

At Lucas Oil Stadium, the sound engineer's seat was located on the camera platform in Section 440. They had a chair right on the 50 reserved with a really nice sign that said "Corps Sound Engineer" on it. For confirmation, you can ask Michael Boo, who's computer set up was on adjacent platform. What was really a nice touch was the signs DCI had posted at the elevator in the garage area telling us that "The sound engineer's seat is in Section 440". The platform was about 10 feet below the judges area, and was an excellent place to direct the mix of the show.

If you want to know where the other officially provided sound engineers eats were at other regionals, I'd be happy to tell you.

But you know, never let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

So, after totally talking down to me we have Donny Allen (brass caption of pioneer last year) and Jim Wonderlick (from some small obscure corps out in california) come out and say differently.

So I am going to go ahead and re-post this:

Hey John,

Now we can see why people got all hot and bothered by the bluecoats last year because they were clearly cheating and got caught doing it. Should we have the ability to remote mix? Absolutely. BUT there were numerous times last year when people on here and at shows (including judges tapes) talked about the electronics being out of balance while lots of folks mentioned how the bluecoats seemed to have it much more dialed in than everyone else.... now we can see why that was the case and I think it is clear that they did gain a competitive advantage from doing so.

All I was saying is that it wasnt consistent from show to show...with the exception of regionals. It wasnt that big of a deal, but some of the contest coordinators looked like we were asking for something they had no idea of. Again, that was just my experience.

Donny

FYI, the guidance memo from DCI on this issue didn't include any mention of paragraph 4.3.1. It only talked about the board being located at any point on the field surface, in conjunction with the contest director. It also mentions alternative location of the sound engineer. It has no mention of remote control in any way shape or form. Perhaps that's why, in addition to what we were told by the DCI contest directors all summer, there there was so much confusion regarding Bluecoats' issues in Indy.

Clearly, this is something that should be addressed at the next Rules Congress. In the meantime, DCI should communicate policy on this issue better than they have the last few years :)

(Of course, all of this could have been avoided if DCI would simply post the Official Rules on the DCI website.)

Edited by Kamarag

and have the rules spelled out in clear black and white with no shades of grey.

you give any opportunity to find a loophole, people will run with it

Funny how top corps get defended so quickly when it comes to breaking the rules and/or questionable actions. (Blue Stars joined G8 and people are talking about sound business, BD07, Bloo10, etc.)