Blue Devils tunes from the past

When I started drum corps was single valve horns with slip slides, snares, single tenors, thumper basses, cymbals, guards that did NO flag work at all, elevator drum drills, starting in one end zone and exiting out the other. Drum corps is whatever those who make decisions say it is, as always.

Get it yet?

Yeah .. it was percussion and brass. I get it. I'm glad we agree.

I didn't like your post.

This may be my favorite post ever on DCP!

When I started drum corps was single valve horns with slip slides, snares, single tenors, thumper basses, cymbals, guards that did NO flag work at all, elevator drum drills, starting in one end zone and exiting out the other. Drum corps is whatever those who make decisions say it is, as always.

Get it yet?

Apparently, you don't. Drum corps does not have saxes, because those who make the decisions say so. Yet you continually advocate for woodwinds to be added to drum corps, in opposition to the decision-makers. Isn't it hypocritical to insist that others accept the current instrument set when you so obviously don't?

If it had the same punch as the "old" Blue Devils... Everybody Loves the Blues or La Fiesta

Respect to those classic BD corps and shows of yesteryear. But whether you're into their current brand of programing or not, I don't know that it can be justifiably said (or implied, anyway) that recent editions of Blue Devils are lacking in "punch." They were pretty potent when I saw them back in August.

peace,

Fred O.

T.O.

Any of the 1985 show prior to First Circle.

Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor.

My Heart Belongs to Me.

Everybody Loves the Blues.

Bacchanalia.

Longer than snippets would be preferable, please.

That right there would be one of the most bad-azz shows of all time. Opening with TO and closing with Bacchanalia might make me wee-wee myself.

QUOTE (mellophonium @ Oct 20 2010, 07:19 PM) *

if I want to listen to Channel One or La Fiesta or Ya Gotta Try, I'll listen those back in the day shows

Right, because drum corps sounds just as good on a recording as it does live. All people want to do is hear those tunes. Played by a good drum corps. Again. Is that too much to ask?

I agree with mellophonium. Don't get me wrong: I was brought up on, and love that classic stuff as much as the next old-schooler. But give me something new to listen to, not the same old songs.

The statement that "all people want to do is hear those tunes..." is a broad, opinion-based generalization. I don't think corps are under any obligation (nor should they be) to keep re-programming old war-horses. I don't pretend to represent or speak for any constituency, but I found plenty to enjoy in this year's opus.

Peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

I agree with mellophonium. Don't get me wrong: I was brought up on, and love that classic stuff as much as the next old-schooler. But give me something new to listen to, not the same old songs.

The statement that "all people want to do is hear those tunes..." is a broad, opinion-based generalization. I don't think corps are under any obligation (nor should they be) to keep re-programming old war-horses. I don't pretend represent or speak for any constituency, but I found plenty to enjoy in this year's opus.

Peace,

Fred O.

By "people" I'm referring to the people in this thread who by their own admission claimed to want to hear those tunes again.

What about Johnny One Note (Sigh I can hear the jokes already) or Strawberry Soup? Both Classics and in the jazz idiom.

There'll be a lot more than one note...but you wouldn't recognize them as a whole piece. :laughing: