Favorite Dreitzer Tunes

1980 New York Lancers version of "Don't let me be Misunderstood" I still have hearing damage because of that stratospheric hornelline. They ripped it up with that opener.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also played "Don't Cha Go Away Mad." (1962) I always thought it was meant to be "in the face" for the Cab's when we beat them. Which did'nt happen AT ALL that year. Some other greats: Showtime on Broadway, Sound of the City, Lullaby of Birdland, Alabama Jubilee and Melancholy Rhapsody. To name a few. It is always a feeling of pride when I think back to the days with Hy and my beloved Skyliners. I was truly blessed to be a part of this corps. Thanks Hy, Lefty, Winky and all you "other" guys!

I tried to narrow it down...but I cannot. My answer is ALL OF THEM. His scoring was unique, and the keys he picked were out of the ordinary C, F, or G. Some tunes were written in Eb or even Ab. And the voicing was nobody else. I used to try to figure out his arranging style.

Donny

I tried to narrow it down...but I cannot. My answer is ALL OF THEM. His scoring was unique, and the keys he picked were out of the ordinary C, F, or G. Some tunes were written in Eb or even Ab. And the voicing was nobody else. I used to try to figure out his arranging style.

Donny

You did a nice job on "Lil Old NY" for the all-star corps.

Donny

Great stuff DA,................there in lies the true roots of that Skyliner and G bugle edge that people are thinking about when they advocate for the G bugle,....................really!

That would be a surprise ... I was pretty sure that Hy wrote both charts and that some of our guys saw both charts in his briefcase ... maybe LarryG can comment ... wouldn't be the first time I was wrong!!!!

:-)

Andy, I only saw the Skyliners Aquarius chart.

For the group: Hy wrote for a lot of corps, including the little known Enfield Sabers in 1969 thru 1971. I have the original charts for lots of the stuff, including a masterful "God Of Our Fathers" that modulates from C to Eb, a great "If My Friends Could See Me Now" chart with french horn lick at the end and even a chart he originally was doing for Velvet Knights that ended up in our rep one year. I only wish I had "Tropical Merengue" (sp?), 'cuz it proves that he could and did arrange latin music.

Donny

Donny,

I wish there was a repository for ALL of Hy's charts - even the klunkers. It would be a great resource for anyone interested in marching music. Hy didn't write for bands, but I'm willing to bet that he would have been good at it. As you so aptly posted, his key selection and voicing were phenomenal. The guy had a brilliant imagination and knew how to get what he wanted onto paper to share with us. And God help the show-off that tried to "embellish" his charts. I can still hear him tearing a certain lead sop player a new one for adding some extra stuff to a final chord.

Funny how nobody has mentioned CMCC Warrior's "Voodoo Suite", with all the bird calls at the beginning and another opener he did for CMCC, that I can't remember the title of, where he successfully imitated a Moog with the sopranos during the intro. And then there's Brassmen's "Sorcerer's Apprentice". There's just too much music...

Donny,

I wish there was a repository for ALL of Hy's charts - even the klunkers. It would be a great resource for anyone interested in marching music. Hy didn't write for bands, but I'm willing to bet that he would have been good at it. As you so aptly posted, his key selection and voicing were phenomenal. The guy had a brilliant imagination and knew how to get what he wanted onto paper to share with us. And God help the show-off that tried to "embellish" his charts. I can still hear him tearing a certain lead sop player a new one for adding some extra stuff to a final chord.

Funny how nobody has mentioned CMCC Warrior's "Voodoo Suite", with all the bird calls at the beginning and another opener he did for CMCC, that I can't remember the title of, where he successfully imitated a Moog with the sopranos during the intro. And then there's Brassmen's "Sorcerer's Apprentice". There's just too much music...

You are NEVER gonna guess what I just found. When Gus Wilke passed away his daughter Lorie gave me a shopping bag filled with music that Gus had collected over the years. I just now took a look through it. It is a treasure trove of Dreitzer's music going back to the 50s,....A LOT OF THE MUSIC IS IN PENCIL. Some are the entire charts. Quartets, duets, solos, Pepe's solo in "Aquarius". Even some of the "klunkers". "Tarantelle", "I'm Gonna Love You". I haven't put it all in order as of yet. As I just said I just began looking through it about 20 minutes ago. MAN, WHAT A FIND.

Edited by NYSkyliner

You are NEVER gonna guess what I just found. When Gus Wilke passed away his daughter Lorie gave me a shopping bag filled with music that Gus had collected over the years. I just now took a look through it. It is a treasure trove of Dreitzer's music going back to the 50s,....A LOT OF THE MUSIC IS IN PENCIL. Some are the entire charts. Quartets, duets, solos, Pepe's solo in "Aquarius". Even some of the "klunkers". "Tarantelle", "I'm Gonna Love You". I haven't put it all in order as of yet. As I just said I just began looking through it about 20 minutes ago. MAN, WHAT A FIND.

Wow...put that stuff under lock and key. Priceless.

Mike,

Needless to say, anything in that bag which made it to SKY, we in the Alumni would be most interested in.

I, as the music librarian, would love any zerox copies you can make of the scores for our music archives, as

there is much missing over the years.

Charlie