Good News for West Coasters

I'd agree that was obnoxious, but it didn't happen. The 7/8 got their special events, DCI will still make a cut of those gigs, and everyone else is free to perform elsewhere and/or do whatever else floats their boats.

Life's happier if we don't spend energy being angry about things that don't actually exist. :sleeping:

Ah, but in America we've become dependent on being angry/worried about things that don't actually exist: don't you read or watch the news?! :sleeping:

I totally agree with you: being bitter about a proposal that didn't come to fruition is a pointless exercise and paints a picture of a poor soul grasping at straws and looking for (more) reasons to complain about the haves. And that same person who complains about policy that is never enacted will probably choose to enact positive change in the activity by... (wait for it).... complaining on an internet forum.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stillllll waiting for you to quantify just how many fans each corps brings to the stadium. Oh, that's right....you can't.

I think it's fairly naive if you think that, say, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Crown, Cadets, Phantom Regiment, and SCV are not the bigger draws of any given regional, and/or Pioneer, Jersey Surf, Cascades, etc. could pack in as many audience members. The fact that those corps routinely have clinics, draw decent crowds to rehearsal sights and typically have large crowds in the parking lot warm-ups is somewhat of a testament to their popularity: heck, I've been to Regionals where there are probably more people in the parking lot watching all of the Top 6 corps warm-up than there are watching the bottom six corps performing on the field.

But there's nothing wrong with that: every corps is worthy of an audience, and every corps has it's place in the activity. But you're really ignoring the obvious if you think the top 6 or 8 corps aren't the main draw for shows. They may not be the main draw FOR YOU, but they are for the majority.

Edited by perc2100

I think it's fairly naive if you think that, say, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Crown, Cadets, Phantom Regiment, and SCV are not the bigger draws of any given regional, and/or Pioneer, Jersey Surf, Cascades, etc. could pack in as many audience members. The fact that those corps routinely have clinics, draw decent crowds to rehearsal sights and typically have large crowds in the parking lot warm-ups is somewhat of a testament to their popularity: heck, I've been to Regionals where there are probably more people in the parking lot watching all of the Top 6 corps warm-up than there are watching the bottom six corps performing on the field.

But there's nothing wrong with that: every corps is worthy of an audience, and every corps has it's place in the activity. But you're really ignoring the obvious if you think the top 6 or 8 corps aren't the main draw for shows. They may not be the main draw FOR YOU, but they are for the majority.

Of course the top X corps get more attention than the other corps in the context of a competitive situation (i.e. DCI). But:

1. That's only because they are the top X corps. If the 2011 contests see the following corps on top....

Pioneer

Cascades

Jersey Surf

Teal Sound

Mandarins

Pacific Crest

Crossmen

....those same fans will be in the lot watching them warm up while BD/Cavies/Bloo/Crown/Cadets/PR/SCV are on the field.

2. That attention is drawn largely by the context of the competitive situation (i.e. DCI). A large and indispensable part of that context is provided by the other corps, without whom the 'top 7' would also be the 'bottom 7'. Also note that these corps are virtually unknown outside of that DCI context. If they were really 'draws' by their own intrinsic value, they'd attract equally fervent attention among the general public in other performance venues....but they don't.

I'd agree that was obnoxious, but it didn't happen. The 7/8 got their special events, DCI will still make a cut of those gigs, and everyone else is free to perform elsewhere and/or do whatever else floats their boats.

Life's happier if we don't spend energy being angry about things that don't actually exist. :sleeping:

sure... I do see that side of it. If I tried to burn your house down, but the police caught me as I was about to light the match, we could still be friends, right? I mean, since I didn't burn your house down, everything turned out fine.

Actually, the West coast fans are mostly grown-ups who "get" that early season offerings are a bit rough, and works-in-progress. All the fans in my group, for all the west coast shows were blown away by what "California's own" presented on the field. And, IIRC there was some discussion on DCP last summer of other corps who started with incomplete shows.

Anyway. 2010 is history. Get over it. It's tiresome. relentless. negativity. :sleeping:

why so mad regarding what someone thinks about 2010 if it's over already? I'm glad you are blown away by 8 minute shows after 5 weeks of 12+ hours of rehearsal per day, since you bought the ticket. I would not buy a ticket to see that. But, being on the west coast, I understand that your hand is forced. If you want to see live drum corps at all, you have to go see the 8 minute version.

Of course the top X corps get more attention than the other corps in the context of a competitive situation (i.e. DCI). But:

1. That's only because they are the top X corps. If the 2011 contests see the following corps on top....

Pioneer

Cascades

Jersey Surf

Teal Sound

Mandarins

Pacific Crest

Crossmen

....those same fans will be in the lot watching them warm up while BD/Cavies/Bloo/Crown/Cadets/PR/SCV are on the field.

2. That attention is drawn largely by the context of the competitive situation (i.e. DCI). A large and indispensable part of that context is provided by the other corps, without whom the 'top 7' would also be the 'bottom 7'. Also note that these corps are virtually unknown outside of that DCI context. If they were really 'draws' by their own intrinsic value, they'd attract equally fervent attention among the general public in other performance venues....but they don't.

Yes but what you are not saying here is that the "top" corps are draws because they WIN the competetions or come at or near the top... So what are you saying? that the other corps allow this and are intentionally an inferior product? I think you are looking at this backwards... The "top" corps are a draw because they are good and people want to see them. Many other corps have their parents and staff in the stands for the performance, no real fans. And as to your point about general public in a non drum corps setting... IT IS GEEKY MARCHING BAND AND NO ONE BUT US WILL EVER LIKE IT EXCEPT FOR A FEW NEW KIDS PREDISPOSED TO LIKE THIS GEEK STUFF LIKE ME!!!!!!

Seriously with your credentials you leave me at a loss... :sleeping:

Edited by Big Bad Bari

:sleeping:

Here's what we have to do to "quantify," two shows within 10 mils of each other on the same night:

Show #1 Headliners

BD

Cavies

Cadets

Show #2 Headliners

Boston

Madison

Bluecoats

All things being equal, whoever brings in the most people, wins!

Actually, if you put the venues close to each other...all the fans going to Show #1 can use Show #2 for overflow parking! :sleeping:

I keed!

why so mad regarding what someone thinks about 2010 if it's over already? I'm glad you are blown away by 8 minute shows after 5 weeks of 12+ hours of rehearsal per day, since you bought the ticket. I would not buy a ticket to see that. But, being on the west coast, I understand that your hand is forced. If you want to see live drum corps at all, you have to go see the 8 minute version.

LOL :sleeping: Okay. Uncle. I'm a glass-half-full kinda person/fan. Too bad for the glass-half-empty guy. I'm not mad....... just tired, (and now bored), by certain negative rhetoric.

Anyway..... bring on 2011! Can't wait to see what California's own has to offer!! And everyone else, for that matter! And, if any corps gives me X minutes of a show, minus finished guard costumes, or finished silks, or with tentative drill that is changed or edited by the next month...... I won't cry about it. I'll enjoy and appreciate it for the fascinating process that it is.

And, my final thought...... 8 minutes of SCV's Bartok show, along with the other corps' early season offerings, was very much worth the cost of the ticket(s).