Halloween Treat for Me

So I’m handing out the candy. Just happen to be standing on the front lawn, candy bowl in my hand, chatting with a neighbor when a young man yells from across the street: Is that Cadets?

I’m wearing a Cadets sweatshirt, so yes. He and his friend run over. He's wearing a black aussie (sort of), black cape, etc. He says: Can you see it? Crossmen?

His friend unzips his sweatshirt to reveal his t-shirt. Phantom.

They call over some more friends. And there on my lawn on Halloween, we talked drum corps. How often does that happen? On a fall day far from the beat of drums, you meet a handful of people you’ve never met before and talk corps? No trick. A genuine Halloween treat.

HH

PS: Their band – South Brunswick (NJ) High School – last night took first in the USSBA Northern States Championship. They won their group (the largest) by two points and had the highest overall score in the competition. Yes!

A halloween treat from DCI.org... Spirit of Atlanta 1983

Reminds me of an old recording of DCI I used to have on C60 tapes, top 6 on tape 1, bottom 6 on tape 2... probably copied 50 times before I got my copy.

A halloween treat from DCI.org... Spirit of Atlanta 1983

Reminds me of an old recording of DCI I used to have on C60 tapes, top 6 on tape 1, bottom 6 on tape 2... probably copied 50 times before I got my copy.

Did your 2010 CDs arrive in the mail!?!? I ordered 2 weeks ago and was hoping for a Halloween Treat but alas I know I'll be waiting 4 more weeks. You and I traveled many miles to be at 2010, you more than I. I too have C60 tapes when I judged winter guard in the 80's but alas no tape player. Oh my, oh sigh. I truly hope your 2010 Cds arrive soon for you.

Reminds me of the time I met a Phantom alum in an airport. I was just walking along wearing a Bluecoats shirt and noticed a guy with an Academy shirt. He called me over and asked if I was marching Bluecoats. Unfortunately I was not [yet!] and told him so and asked if he was an Academy alum. He said he wasn't but merely helped them a lot and that he marched Phantom. I commented that the drill designer of my school was a Phantom 93 alumni. Shockingly he happened to also march Phantom 93. He didn't recognize my guy's name since he was sop and my guy was contra but it was still an amazing coincidence.

Reminds me of the time I met a Phantom alum in an airport. I was just walking along wearing a Bluecoats shirt and noticed a guy with an Academy shirt. He called me over and asked if I was marching Bluecoats. Unfortunately I was not [yet!] and told him so and asked if he was an Academy alum. He said he wasn't but merely helped them a lot and that he marched Phantom. I commented that the drill designer of my school was a Phantom 93 alumni. Shockingly he happened to also march Phantom 93. He didn't recognize my guy's name since he was sop and my guy was contra but it was still an amazing coincidence.

About two weeks ago I was sitting in a cafe around the corner from where I live watching some SCV and my server comes over and says, 'Drum corps, eh? I marched Cadets 93 and 94' It was just a bit weird.

I think this same phantom guy you speak of wrote drill for my college's band this fall.

It's the old adage "Birds of a feather flock together" and it's true. Drum Corps people just seem to naturally gravitate toward one another.

Did your 2010 CDs arrive in the mail!?!? I ordered 2 weeks ago and was hoping for a Halloween Treat but alas I know I'll be waiting 4 more weeks. You and I traveled many miles to be at 2010, you more than I. I too have C60 tapes when I judged winter guard in the 80's but alas no tape player. Oh my, oh sigh. I truly hope your 2010 Cds arrive soon for you.

Yes, they arrived safe and sound last week. Exactly 4 weeks after the official release date and exactly 3 weeks after DCI dispatched them. The box was covered in US & UK customs labels so it's pretty obvious where the hold up was.... well worth the wait tho. If the same timeline applies to the BluRay I should get that just before xmas!

It is sometimes amazing where we meet drum corps folks. I was in Atlantic City at an Apple store. I was wearing my Empire Statemen hoodie and the Apple dude looks at my hoodie and asks "Statesmen?" I say yes, and he then asks Drum Corps? Of course after that we spent like an hour talking drum corps. Seems he just aged out of Blue Coats this year and is thinking of marching all age. If we advertise drum corps we will find others who love drum corps! Sound like a great Halloween treat!! :tongue:

It is sometimes amazing where we meet drum corps folks. I was in Atlantic City at an Apple store. I was wearing my Empire Statemen hoodie and the Apple dude looks at my hoodie and asks "Statesmen?" I say yes, and he then asks Drum Corps? Of course after that we spent like an hour talking drum corps. Seems he just aged out of Blue Coats this year and is thinking of marching all age. If we advertise drum corps we will find others who love drum corps! Sound like a great Halloween treat!! :tongue:

did you by any chance catch the name?