How does this community feel about fielding cymbals?

Now you're just being argumentative.

Bass drums have a lower frequency which doesn't always reach the ear as an articulate and accurate pulse. Having three types of drums with different timbres ensures that the pulse is going to cut through the ensemble to be read by the members during any situation. And before you say it, cymbals while offering a different timbre don't have a regular enough pattern or readable profile to be used as a listening guide. More then often they are actually a hinderance to the reading of the pulse as they cover up the more articulate and readable drumline.

Bass drums have a lower frequency which doesn't always reach the ear as an articulate and accurate pulse. Having three types of drums with different timbres ensures that the pulse is going to cut through the ensemble to be read by the members during any situation. And before you say it, cymbals while offering a different timbre don't have a regular enough pattern or readable profile to be used as a listening guide. More then often they are actually a hinderance to the reading of the pulse as they cover up the more articulate and readable drumline.

I LOVE this guy. :sleeping:

It depends.

Some corps have enough leftover spots that to fill them with a cymbal line makes the most sense. Other corps have such competition for spots that they feel that fielding a cymbal line is a waste.

All I know is if the Santa Clara Vanguard ever retires their cymbal line I am going to kill someone.

As much as I agree with you on ALL points... It is an unpopular view as drum corps is about parents and friends getting to feel good about little Bobby and Julies participation. Also you do not have very popular opinions with the percussion community on DCP because you seem to be one of the only perc folks musical enough to understand the concept of maintaining a groove and/or timing and tempo without dutting.

why are there 8 snare drums in lines? because 4 can't cut through the ensemble?

I don't really have an issue with cymbals in the pit... I just think that everything you do on the drum corps field, you can also do in the pit. You could put one of each hornline voice in the pit, mic'd (small ensembles can be mic'd), and let the people on the field march around without instruments.

What is this? Logic and reason on my DCPs?

You sir, win one internets.

I don't really have an issue with cymbals in the pit... I just think that everything you do on the drum corps field, you can also do in the pit. You could put one of each hornline voice in the pit, mic'd (small ensembles can be mic'd), and let the people on the field march around without instruments.

Actually, battery balance is a huge issue. Why do you think the preferred instrumentation is 8-9/5/5? Because that's the best balance for a large hornline. 4 snares wouldn't cut, and they definitely wouldn't balance well with 5 tenors. It's an art and a balancing act to get all of these sections to blend/balance with one another.

As for pitted horns...now you're just trying to redefine the entire activity to fit your narrow point of view.

There are reasons why the rest of the instrumentation isn't in the pit. Most combinations have been tried and abandoned because they're just not functional. (on another note, several BOA bands have experimented with replacing the battery with a rear sideline electronic drum sections that blasts speakers forward in an attempt to create a pulse center. it's moderately successful but requires there to be a large amount of electronics setup and monitors used). The only section that can be logically cut from the program and recreated in the pit with minimal effort is the cymbal line. The mere fact that a large percentage of the top programs have done this season after season supports that fact.

However, if you like a cymbal line, and you have the extra bodies/money, please feel free to use them in the programs you run. I however choose not to as I seem them as superfluous, and I'm not alone.

Edited by MarimbaManiac

Then this would be orchestra instead of drum corps, I guess.

It depends.

Some corps have enough leftover spots that to fill them with a cymbal line makes the most sense. Other corps have such competition for spots that they feel that fielding a cymbal line is a waste.

All I know is if the Santa Clara Vanguard ever retires their cymbal line I am going to kill someone.

Not even close to the reason.

maybe DCA corps.