Recordings

There should just be an established time that all this stuff is published on the site that shall remain nameless so that it can be gleaned by the DC fans in mass to help preserve our heritage. Since the law is against us... BTW isn't there a statute of limitations on that crap? And how long does it take for something to become part of the public domain? I know that there are many books out there that are no longer protected and can be legally downloaded via the internet for free! Look for "THINK AND GROW RICH by Napoleon Hill written in 1929 it is there for free!

The smart move would be to sell the entire collection via an auction. I'm sure DCI can find a way to fix who has the winning bid :thumbup:

In all seriousness, I think the collection will never be released because those were the wishes of the man who owned and created them. The sad thing is ... they're not being enjoyed by anyone as they should be. There's so much great drum corps that will never be shared with the current and future members of drum corps and DCI ... it's truly saddening. If time could be reversed, I would have made it my mission to convince the man to donate the recordings of each corps to their respective organizations. At least that way, they could decide whether it was worth it or not to secure the rights to sell and distribute. This could actually happen someday ... I just hope it's not long after the passing of those who are still alive and holding the torch of their former corps.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall .. the recordings were entrusted to DCI with the agreement that they would never be sold.

That is not correct.

As for the rest of this, I'm going to suggest getting this responded to via the Roundtable. Like I said back in this post, both myself and the DCI office staff are actually working on an archival audio solution....but I'm not sure how much we can say about it, since it is very much a work-in-progress at this point.

What a great fundraiser for the Drum Corps Museum!

That is not correct.

As for the rest of this, I'm going to suggest getting this responded to via the Roundtable. Like I said back in this post, both myself and the DCI office staff are actually working on an archival audio solution....but I'm not sure how much we can say about it, since it is very much a work-in-progress at this point.

I think the collection will never be released because those were the wishes of the man who owned and created them.

??? By "released", do you mean breaking up the collection and selling off original master tapes piecemeal? Or do you mean selling remastered copies on CD? I have never heard anywhere that Ken Kobold objected to the latter, but I could certainly understand his objecting to the former.

That is not correct.

Before/if this goes to Roundtable ... I was wondering in the recordings done by Dale Johnson are also part of this historical archive ... I purchased the 1965 VFW Nationals from him years ago but, don't know what his current status is for reproducing his recordings ... and these were his recordings, not Fleetwood Records' ...

Thanks,

:-)

The biggest issue DCI is facing is the fact that no one ever bought the rights to play, arrange, record, synch, etc. the music corps played back in those days. As was mentioned in the recent article DCI had on the subject, it cost the corps over a quarter of a million dollars just last season for the music rights to what they played! There probably would not be enough of a market for them to get those rights at this point on the non-finalist shows from back in the day.

I remember when we went to two piston valve instruments and the question then was why not just go with three valves. The answer I seem to remember was that it was claimed a two valve instrument was not "legal" and corps did not have to get copyright permission. Was there ever a test case for this? Also, if DCI does not have the rights, how do they have the finals performances from these corps on FN? It would seem that if you can post the 72 Kingsmen DCI finals performance, you can post the 72 Kingsmen prelims performance.

I remember when we went to two piston valve instruments and the question then was why not just go with three valves. The answer I seem to remember was that it was claimed a two valve instrument was not "legal" and corps did not have to get copyright permission.

Tell that to the judge and get laughed out of court!

Tell that to the judge and get laughed out of court!

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I do remember hearing that at the time.