Rivalries in DCI.

I'm with Bloocontraguy. Even in 07 or this past season there never seemed to be much of a rivalry between cavs and coats. Now here's a thought, did Bloo and Crown become rivals recently? I mean, they are the only 2 top 7 corps w/o a ring to claim. Before you know it, one of them will take it pretty soon. Just a thought.

While placements might have something to do with it, from the outside looking in, I could see where you might think that.

Again, a topic that really requires you to be in the action. Today, many individuals have friends in other corps. While reindeer games were certainly the norm with some corps, outright personal rivalries didn't seem to be huge. Competition plays a small role, yes. But I think overall, we're not talking about rivalries like some described back in the day.

im noy on the outside looking in

im actually IN one of these corps

and trust me, phantom is not a rival for either of us

• Like 1

Most of these are funny and not really true rvalries.

BOTH corps must think it not just one.

some real ones.

CADETS-CAVIES -ALWAYS

SCV-BLUE DEVILS

Some starting ( past 5-10 years or so )-close but not as intense as above.

CROWN-Bluecoats

Troopers-Blue Knights

Madison -Crossmen

Colts-Troopers

Crossmen - Spirit -friendly one .

new one

Teal-Surf.

Edited by FanofNight

Most of these are funny and not really true rvalries.

BOTH corps must think it not just one.

some real ones.

CADETS-CAVIES -ALWAYS

<snip>

Actually, Cadets and Cavies have a very long history of being friendly. Back in pre-DCI days, they even housed each other (not at a housing site either....they welcomed them in to their homes).

That long relationship was shown even in 2009, when The Cavaliers were kind enough to present a huge cake to the Cadets after a show, congratulating them on their 75th anniversary.

While placements might have something to do with it, from the outside looking in, I could see where you might think that.

Again, a topic that really requires you to be in the action. Today, many individuals have friends in other corps. While reindeer games were certainly the norm with some corps, outright personal rivalries didn't seem to be huge. Competition plays a small role, yes. But I think overall, we're not talking about rivalries like some described back in the day.

Understood....and that's why I stated that in today's world, drum corps rivalry has a completely different meaning!...Even if there is something in today's climate resembling drum corps rivalry, it's benign at best. Back in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's, it was a completely different story where "outright personal rivalries" were quite huge!....It added a little more fun and excitement to the whole realm of "competition".

And I can debunk the Colts/Troopers one, Fan of Night. In 2009, we fought for the last Finals slot together. When the Troopers took it, we sent them our congratulations for returning to the Finals field. Were there disgruntled members? Sure. It was a close fight. But a rivalry? I wouldn't call it that.

Understood....and that's why I stated that in today's world, drum corps rivalry has a completely different meaning!...Even if there is something in today's climate resembling drum corps rivalry, it's benign at best. Back in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's, it was a completely different story where "outright personal rivalries" were quite huge!....It added a little more fun and excitement to the whole realm of "competition".

In a way, I kinda wish I could have experienced that. Definitely a different culture!

Actually, Cadets and Cavies have a very long history of being friendly. Back in pre-DCI days, they even housed each other (not at a housing site either....they welcomed them in to their homes).

That long relationship was shown even in 2009, when The Cavaliers were kind enough to present a huge cake to the Cadets after a show, congratulating them on their 75th anniversary.

I agree with this one. I was touched when I heard that Cavies made a gigantic cake for HNC.

And it was delicious! :thumbup:

In a way, I kinda wish I could have experienced that. Definitely a different culture!

I can't speak for the 40's 50's, 60's or 70's but in the 80's the rivalries ran really deep between the organizations and we the MM's used it as mitivation to work harder and do better but when it came right down to interacting with the other corps MM's we always found them to be easy to get along with even when our ORGANIZATIONS had a rivalry. (IN MOST CASES)

LOL 2006? :thumbup:

This rivalry goes back a very long time. Much further than 4 years. Think decades.... :thumbup:

Yeah decades... I was just bringing up a recent year that there was a large rivalry there.