Time to dispel a myth...

Cavaliers were "boop boop"? Nope.

Funny, since the first four notes of their show were literally "BOOP BOOP BOOP BOOP" followed by some drill move.

And no one's calling for a limitation to pop music.

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Cirque is still about the acrobats and clowns and daredevils...

My point exactly! Gibbs wants drum corps to be more like Cirque!

getting into a regular circus troop as an acrobat is a lot of work, but training for a cirque performer is hardcore.

as good as coprs kids are at what they do, attempting to become like cirque would be folly akin to 4th graders attempting to do Mourning Becomes Electra...which would admittedly be kind of fun to witness.

Except the point of the drum corps format is that there are elements that arouse excitement and emotion in ANY human being. From a musical standpoint, its purely mathematical, harmonics and overtones and intervals and the like. From an excitement standpoint, it's purely physiological, release of serotonin and other such chemicals.

Drum corps has been rife with examples working lock step like this. I'll name one off the top of my head: Madison Scouts, "The Way We Were." End of the intro, quarter note triplet into stratospheric soprano unison, then a delayed mid-voice climb into the held out step above. Just playing it in my head makes my heart race.

you really think that this piece you love you're talking about triggers some sort of universal response that's hardwired into all human beings?

and you're using that to argue against somebody saying tastes vary?

are you joking?

indeed the bell curve does exist. hence the receipts for transformers 2. thank goodness for creative people brave enough to try to push into other standard deviations of that bell curve. great stuff that appeals to a true muliplcity of tastes is extremely rare, but it's how genres are re-invigorated, changed, and ulitmately preserved over time.

for always having been a niche activity, i happen to be thankful there's as much variety as there is out there in drum corps. of course, i'm critical of most music choices in dci now and see it becoming wgi with a few wind instruments very soon...but not quite yet.

deciding you're the authority on who "the majority" are and who "outliers" are in drum corps fandom is always fun and never very meaningful.

1. no one is arguing for homogenous drumcorps. straw man.

2. no one is arguing for "don't push boundaries". straw man.

3. no one is deciding *they* speak for the audience. not sure how many times it needs to be said but ... the audience speaks for itself quite well on it's own. all one need do is be there and listen. the only people claiming authority are those who say "BUT THERE IS NO AUDIENCE-THERE'S ONLY ME". absurdity ad infinitum.

you really think that this piece you love you're talking about triggers some sort of universal response that's hardwired into all human beings?

Yes, for the most part (think Gaussian distributed measure of serotonin release). I heard the piece for the first time yesterday, by the way. It has very little to do with familiarity or emotional attachment. It's all math and biology, really.

and you're using that to argue against somebody saying tastes vary?

With respect to the example I mentioned, yes. As for the people in whom no such response is triggered, well, maybe drum corps shows aren't for them.

are you joking?

No. But the only way to confirm would be to conduct some sort of scientific study, which is so far removed from the basic line of thought on these boards.

Edited by Hrothgar15

getting into a regular circus troop as an acrobat is a lot of work, but training for a cirque performer is hardcore.

as good as coprs kids are at what they do, attempting to become like cirque would be folly akin to 4th graders attempting to do Mourning Becomes Electra...which would admittedly be kind of fun to witness.

i think the cirque analogy is about the marketing strategy not the performers.

Funny, since the first four notes of their show were literally "BOOP BOOP BOOP BOOP" followed by some drill move.

Ah, I see - if a composer chooses to use a rhythmic jab in 2 or 3 measures, he's composing "boop boop" music, according to noted music critic Hrothgar.

Someone should Stravinsky, Copland, Bernstein, Bolcolm, and pretty much anyone else who wrote music post 1930 and tell them that they better get their ___ together and learn how to write real music. :tongue:

Edited by mobrien

Yes, for the most part (think Gaussian distributed measure of serotonin release). I heard the piece for the first time yesterday, by the way. It has very little to do with familiarity or emotional attachment. It's all math and biology, really.

With respect to the example I mentioned, yes. As for the people in whom no such response is triggered, well, maybe drum corps shows aren't for them.

you really think that all drum corps fans will automatically be biologically triggered by performances you happen to love, and that anybody who doesn't is some sort of scientifically measurable anomaly.

nothing to say to this other than...well...yeah.

i think the cirque analogy is about the marketing strategy not the performers.

wouldn't that be like trying to market blast as circque? they have a lot more in common than drum corps and cirque do, that's for sure.

maybe that's what stu's whole point was, though.

Ah, I see - if a composer chooses to use a rhythmic jab in 2 or 3 measures, he's composing "boop boop" music, according to noted music critic Hrothgar.

Someone should Stravinsky, Copland, Bernstein, Bolcolm, and pretty much anyone else who wrote music post 1930 and tell them that they better get their ___ together and learn how to write real music. :tongue:

pretty much any classical piece played by any corps over 120 bpm you mean, even the ones he happens to ADORE? :tongue: