Time to dispel a myth...

Ah, I see - if a composer chooses to use a rhythmic jab in 2 or 3 measures, he's composing "boop boop" music, according to noted music critic Hrothgar.

No.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you really think that all drum corps fans will automatically be biologically triggered by performances you happen to love, and that anybody who doesn't is some sort of scientifically measurable anomaly.

Not an anomaly, but maybe some other factors are at play.

It has nothing to do with performances I love. Think about what I'm saying for a bit.

wouldn't that be like trying to market blast as circque? they have a lot more in common than drum corps and cirque do, that's for sure.

maybe that's what stu's whole point was, though.

(in my view at least) the parallel is :

take a traditional mode of entertainment that has been thought of as somewhat dated and repackage the marketing so that you take the same product with same performers doing the same acts but present in a format that seems more accessible and up-to-date.

new box - same old cornflakes. i really didn't hear any "we want to remake drum corps into a circus act" from the G7 ideas.

Not an anomaly, but maybe some other factors are at play.

It has nothing to do with performances I love. Think about what I'm saying for a bit.

I know where you're going (fresh off your cognitive psych courses and other semi-related-to-CS stuff which is more interesting than compiler design ) and you're probably right. there's been a bit of research done in this area. goes to the *why* does music have such a direct visceral impact on emotional responses thing. drum corps would actually make an interesting area of study because designers *are* actively attempting to manipulate the audience.

as transformer 2 box office receipts show.

if it's so easy, then entertainment producers would be able to hit it out of the park every time with what they choose to fund and create.

true but Blast was very eclectic in what it played...it had some "poppier" stuff. it had some jazz. it had some classical. and it had some obsucre.

best crowd reaction every time I saw it? the one thing in DCI that is all but dead...the drum solo

If Cavaliers', Regiment's, Cadets, Bluecoats, and Crown's shows were musically "inaccessible" to anyone this year, whoever felt that way simply needs to start living a life. All of them played mainstream music, in pretty straightforward arrangements.

Just curious, what do you consider "mainstream"? With the exception of some of Cadets' and Crown's shows, "mainstream" seems to be a bit of a stretch...:

Mad World - Mad World * Harrison's Dream * Dismantling Utopia * Smile

Into the Light - The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms

Toy Souldier - Procession of the Nobles * The School for Scandal - Overture * Prelude to Act II and Maypole Dances from Merry Mount Suite * Children's Dance (from Merry Mount Suite) * Dance of the Tumblers * March of the Toys from Babes in Toyland

Metropolis: The Future is Now - Asphalt Cocktail * AHA! * Metropolis * 160 BPM from Angels and Demons

A Second Chance - Resurrection Symphony (Symphony No. 2) * Symphony No. 2 * Danzon No.2 * Nimrod ‘from Enigma Variations’ * Resurrection Symphony (Symphony No. 2)

BTW, "simply needs to start living a life"? That's a little harsh...

Just curious, what do you consider "mainstream"? With the exception of some of Cadets' and Crown's shows, "mainstream" seems to be a bit of a stretch...:

Mad World - Mad World * Harrison's Dream * Dismantling Utopia * Smile

Into the Light - The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms

Toy Souldier - Procession of the Nobles * The School for Scandal - Overture * Prelude to Act II and Maypole Dances from Merry Mount Suite * Children's Dance (from Merry Mount Suite) * Dance of the Tumblers * March of the Toys from Babes in Toyland

Metropolis: The Future is Now - Asphalt Cocktail * AHA! * Metropolis * 160 BPM from Angels and Demons

A Second Chance - Resurrection Symphony (Symphony No. 2) * Symphony No. 2 * Danzon No.2 * Nimrod ‘from Enigma Variations’ * Resurrection Symphony (Symphony No. 2)

BTW, "simply needs to start living a life"? That's a little harsh...

Phantom's 2008 show music selections would go right along with your argument.

Phantom's 2008 show music selections would go right along with your argument.

Yes it (the show) would, but doesn't it get an exemption due to it's "dead white guy" origins? :tongue:

true but Blast was very eclectic in what it played...it had some "poppier" stuff. it had some jazz. it had some classical. and it had some obsucre.

Blast was, in effect, an entire drum corps competition, not just a single corps-length performance. Just like each corps has it's own style and design, Blast created a number of 'scenes' on stage, each with a different design.

Blast was, in effect, an entire drum corps competition, not just a single corps-length performance. Just like each corps has it's own style and design, Blast created a number of 'scenes' on stage, each with a different design.

Blast was nothing like a drum corps competition, because that variety of programming is not found on fields anywhere anymore