Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

I think we get a show announcement today!!!

On Crown's Facebook: "Who had 4/18 as the exact date for the day we announce the show theme?" Then a later comment from them after people commented on the status: "Nobody had the 18th.... hmmmmm what to do?"

I have just finished watching Crown from last season. I can't believe how difficult the drill was. Amazing! I am, however, SICK and TIRED of Leon May and his body movements. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop doing body movements at almost every point someone is standing still or barely moving. It gets old really fast and is too difficult to clean. How many disappointing scores is Crown going to have to get in Visual before May gets this fact. Drill is hard enough to clean by itself without adding the further complication of body movement to every other set.

Nuff Said.

Leon May doesn't write the body work for Crown. Just the drill.

Leon May doesn't write the body work for Crown. Just the drill.

His point is well taken though, and I agree 100%. Gratuitous body movement is IMO a very unfortunate unintended consequence of visual GE becomeing such a huge part of the scoring. The vast majority of it is distracting, looks REALLY stupid, and never really supports the theme. It's just one more "hey look at us we're (trying) to do something in unison" visual prop, and in a time where color guard programs are amazing and drill is as hard as it's ever been is just TOTALLY unnecessary.

• Like 2

While I'm not a fan of hornlines dancing, I really didn't have a problem with Crown's body movement. It worked well in the preshow, especially with the long notes hanging out there, and in Danzon, I mean, it's a latin dance - made sense to me.

Mike

• Like 3

His point is well taken though, and I agree 100%. Gratuitous body movement is IMO a very unfortunate unintended consequence of visual GE becomeing such a huge part of the scoring. The vast majority of it is distracting, looks REALLY stupid, and never really supports the theme. It's just one more "hey look at us we're (trying) to do something in unison" visual prop, and in a time where color guard programs are amazing and drill is as hard as it's ever been is just TOTALLY unnecessary.

These arguments parallel the "guard should just spin and stop dancing" line of reasoning. I understand that's a preference some have but it's hardly universal. I think Crown's approach is unique, very expressive, and d### hard. Try having the kids you teach go from standing to prone to standing -- then have them play a long sustained note while doing it. Now go listen to Crown do it up close. Yeah -- about that.

I disagree that it never supports the theme -- Danzon was fresh and on target. I *do* agree that perhaps a few moves seem a little stale and might need a rest. But -- on the whole -- Crown's approach is unique , very well-executed, and part of their identity.

I get that some prefer to see straight up marching all the time. Variety is good.

• Like 1

I think we get a show announcement today!!!

On Crown's Facebook: "Who had 4/18 as the exact date for the day we announce the show theme?" Then a later comment from them after people commented on the status: "Nobody had the 18th.... hmmmmm what to do?"

seems more like a tease than forecasting their annoucement

I thought most of their body movement worked in 2009 but in 2010, it felt tacked on. 2010 over all was really a step backwards for them, the more I see that show the more flaws I notice, it’s boring and the hornline is nowhere near where it was

Generally, not a fan of body movement – quick question as I marched prior to the body movement trend

Is it easier to do body movement than march drill, I tend to think yes because it’s mostly done while standing there is often isn’t in synch – I read it as a cop out, drill filler we better do it so the judges check that box and give us credit, being innovative by copying everyone else

Even if you tell me it’s harder, I doubt I’ll buy it and yeah, I saw how Cavies perfected that Popcorn spin move through technique but still really wasn’t all that impressed as most of the corps sat most of the time through that bit

Is it easier to do body movement than march drill, I tend to think yes because it’s mostly done while standing there is often isn’t in synch – I read it as a cop out, drill filler we better do it so the judges check that box and give us credit, being innovative by copying everyone else

There are corps who use movement as filler (and do it poorly).

IMO Crown's approach is entirely different (mostly because they are playing with amazing control while dancing.)

As for easy or cop-out watch this: http://on.fb.me/fGUwwP. Additionally take note of where the mellos are located. Simultaneous responsibilities there are off-the-chart.