Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

The first two minutes of 2010 are the epitome of what drum corps is to me.

YMMV, I guess.

I loved their take on Mahler 2!

The first two minutes of 2010 are the epitome of what drum corps is to me.
I can tell you that whatever Crown does in 2011, I will love it. Even if they take the field wearing bubblewrap armed with kazoos, they will find a way to kick ### with it.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of these statements. While I'm curious as #### wondering what 2011 will bring, I'm completely sure that Crown's performance will not fail to be breathtakingly good drum corps.

Edited by corpsband

I think Crown has a good track record of balancing the familiar and the unfamiliar.

Except for every year (but 2009...kinda).

Crown (as of 2004) has been the "pop" corps. It happens. Nothing wrong with it.

What they need to do this year is figure out a good balance between visual and musical aspects. Last year's show had some good musical moments, but the corps would be too far spread out, creating riffs in the brass book (happened far too often then anyone should admit). Once they fix that, they'll be a true competitor (not relying on someone else having an off-year).

Except for every year (but 2009...kinda).

Crown (as of 2004) has been the "pop" corps. It happens. Nothing wrong with it.

What they need to do this year is figure out a good balance between visual and musical aspects. Last year's show had some good musical moments, but the corps would be too far spread out, creating riffs in the brass book (happened far too often then anyone should admit). Once they fix that, they'll be a true competitor (not relying on someone else having an off-year).

If by "pop" you mean they're REALLY popular with the audience -- I agree!

But recently they've played music that's probably not well recognized by many :

2010 Mahler 2, Danzon, Khatchaturian 2

2009 Puck,Hybrid, Sensemaya,Slalom

2008 (well 2008 was a little different -- by design all music done by other corps)

2007 Stuff from Dreamer,Hidalgo

2006 Urban Dances, Celestial Night

If by "pop" you mean they're REALLY popular with the audience -- I agree!

But recently they've played music that's probably not well recognized by many :

2010 Mahler 2, Danzon, Khatchaturian 2

2009 Puck,Hybrid, Sensemaya,Slalom

2008 (well 2008 was a little different -- by design all music done by other corps)

2007 Stuff from Dreamer,Hidalgo

2006 Urban Dances, Celestial Night

FYI, Hybrid Journey was a constantly changing part of the show that ended up getting cut at one of the camps (April, I think) and was replaced with the intro to Puck, which we called Spark. It was too bad, I really liked Hybrid. For some reason, though, it keeps making its way onto repertoire lists from 09, no idea how.

FYI, Hybrid Journey was a constantly changing part of the show that ended up getting cut at one of the camps (April, I think) and was replaced with the intro to Puck, which we called Spark. It was too bad, I really liked Hybrid. For some reason, though, it keeps making its way onto repertoire lists from 09, no idea how.

Blame corpreps.com :-)

• 4 months later...

The more time I spend with it, the more I like Crown's 2010 show. I think the first half is brilliant, but it kind of loses steam at the end. (To be fair, as an armchair programmer, I'm not sure how I would have ended it, either.)

But the Mahler preshow is, and I do mean this seriously, one of the best introductions I've ever heard from a drum corps. And Danzon No. 2... my only complaint is it's not long enough.

Anyways, the whole point is, I'm very excited to see Crown this summer. I've only heard rumblings of what's coming, but it sounds like fun!

Mike

• Like 1

The more time I spend with it, the more I like Crown's 2010 show. I think the first half is brilliant, but it kind of loses steam at the end. (To be fair, as an armchair programmer, I'm not sure how I would have ended it, either.)

But the Mahler preshow is, and I do mean this seriously, one of the best introductions I've ever heard from a drum corps. And Danzon No. 2... my only complaint is it's not long enough.

Anyways, the whole point is, I'm very excited to see Crown this summer. I've only heard rumblings of what's coming, but it sounds like fun!

Mike

I agree. I think somewhere in Nimrod, things fall just a little bit flat. You never quite get a sense of emotional climax. (But OH MY GOD the Mahler. I still listen to it everyday.)

However, I think the ending they ended up with was nothing short of conceptually brilliant. I know some people though it was cheap to end with Promise of Living again, but I thought it was an incredible choice. Both shows ('09, '10) dealt with the same philosophical idea of our human nature to want the things we cannot have. A Second Chance just did so in a darker way, stating that wanting want we can't have can be dangerous. Brilliantly though, the new ending brought us back to the same place that '09 did...a musical return to home with the Promise of Living. I dunno. It was almost too good to be true. You'd swear their creative team had a background in opera or ballet design. These shows should seriously be studied in academic settings.

I just can't wait for some Rachmaninoff. After last year, I feel Crown proved that they have the classical chops. They have so much color to their sound that is going to bring such life to romantic music. CANNOT WAIT AHH

Edited by bmt2116
  • Like 1