Grab a bowl, It's time to dish: 2k11 Style

PrfctTimeOfDay

Onyx was fantastic, i think that the whole abandonment to impulse is more about how people react when they are singled out, kind of like nervous habits. If you watch how they have little pods seperated constantly and something is going on in them. there is a part where dancers go into the rifles and one dancer doesnt get a rifle, and he starts to move wildly almost in a rage. theres also the part where the whole unit is turned back and there is a girl dancing turned forward, almost like shes nervous or showing off. ive watched the show on the fan network about 20 times to understand it. The show seems to have a ton of subliminal meaning as well, like the part where they lay down and the soundtrack says "they will attempt to destroy whatever differs from their concepts." kind of scratching my head at that, but now it makes more sense when they have gotten so much criticism for pushing the boundaries. I dont understand the comment about running around like roaches, kind of rude to me. I think what onyx is doing is very cutting edge. They are creating art on the floor, and they all put their hearts into spinning, and it shows. The way they perform also brings their show to a whole new level. Ive never been effected this much by watching a show live ever in my entire life. some of the movements are shocking and they bleed passion all over the tarp. Its amazing to watch a unit that is so in love with what they are doing. Their are a lot of sections that have the guard spinning the same work at the same time, it just might take couple viewings to catch but its for sure there . I think that if you watch the show with open eyes, you will gain so much more from it. the adrenaline i gained from watching it is unreal. Id also like to applaud whoever wrote the drill, its amazing. the only thing id have to complain about is i want more flag! the work is amazing, i just want more of it. I want onyx to have a flag feature.

-JT

• Like 1

Onyx was fantastic, i think that the whole abandonment to impulse is more about how people react when they are singled out, kind of like nervous habits. If you watch how they have little pods seperated constantly and something is going on in them. there is a part where dancers go into the rifles and one dancer doesnt get a rifle, and he starts to move wildly almost in a rage. theres also the part where the whole unit is turned back and there is a girl dancing turned forward, almost like shes nervous or showing off. ive watched the show on the fan network about 20 times to understand it. The show seems to have a ton of subliminal meaning as well, like the part where they lay down and the soundtrack says "they will attempt to destroy whatever differs from their concepts." kind of scratching my head at that, but now it makes more sense when they have gotten so much criticism for pushing the boundaries. I dont understand the comment about running around like roaches, kind of rude to me. I think what onyx is doing is very cutting edge. They are creating art on the floor, and they all put their hearts into spinning, and it shows. The way they perform also brings their show to a whole new level. Ive never been effected this much by watching a show live ever in my entire life. some of the movements are shocking and they bleed passion all over the tarp. Its amazing to watch a unit that is so in love with what they are doing. Their are a lot of sections that have the guard spinning the same work at the same time, it just might take couple viewings to catch but its for sure there . I think that if you watch the show with open eyes, you will gain so much more from it. the adrenaline i gained from watching it is unreal. Id also like to applaud whoever wrote the drill, its amazing. the only thing id have to complain about is i want more flag! the work is amazing, i just want more of it. I want onyx to have a flag feature.

-JT

Umm... I dont know what happened here but I am DutDutOut. I didnt say any of that. And I certainly havent had the good fortune on seeing it live. However, At least whomever that was gave some insight. lol I actually think the show makes a lot of sense with the talking. Its a commentary on the state of art and how definitions can limit it. They are Onyx and its becoming their identity. I know a lot of people hate it. I love it. I have things that drive me crazy that I think is leading the activity in the wrong direction. But this is not the arena for me to gripe.

I agree with both dut dut outs lol. I was there and they definitely were crowd pleasing while presenting a program that makes the viewer think. I don't think we should be so instantly turned off by something that pushes the boundaries of color guard into something more of a performance art.

Edited by Asia

Having only seen the show on fan network I have to agree about Onyx......when I watched the show I said the exact same thing as others have said, it was like people aimlessly running around tossing equipment periodically. I couldnt stand last years show, and I know this is wierd but everytime I saw the show it made me think of roaches circling a drain. This year it makes me think of flies and the platic is like fly paper. This is just nothing I would ever want to downlaod and watch lots of times. They do seem on their way to another medal, which will unfortunately only lead to many guards copying this same style. I appreciate the talented and prolific Miachael Lentz and his wanting to expand the horizona of the activity, I just do not think that this style is very "audience pleasing".

Another poster on another thread said that they were so happy to see Fahrenheit's show because it was FUN and the audiesnce loved it and that this was a nice change. So very true. There are just far to many groups that somehow equate drak, dreary and depressing with good. I know that music is a matter of taste and I personally love to see shows with either moving, beaustiful music (Corona) or fun, fun, fun music like Pride last year.....but some of the classical funeral procession sounding music I have heard this year just puts me to sleep.

Yeah Fahrenheit is out to entertain the crowd. I just watched Onyx and I agree there is no ensemble moments. Not my version on entertainment. I watched a bunch of guards on the fan network and was very confused. I watched the Fan network thingy and looked for an entertaining guard over the past few years and Pride had me for last year and before that it was Premonition 2009 was entertaining, other than that I wasn't FUN entertained. I liked other shows, SCV 08,09, Corona 07,09, and several others but I just want for once someone to make finals doing a show where they actually smile and it comes naturally. Fahrenheit screamed happy and fun in their show. They spun well and I know they will get better as time goes on. I can't wait to see Braddock and Premonition this weekend! Interested to see where Fahrenheit will place with those other 2 guards around. I hope they do well. I have not seen a standing ovation like that since the late 90's. The crowd adores Fahrenheit.

Yeah Fahrenheit is out to entertain the crowd. I just watched Onyx and I agree there is no ensemble moments. Not my version on entertainment. I watched a bunch of guards on the fan network and was very confused. I watched the Fan network thingy and looked for an entertaining guard over the past few years and Pride had me for last year and before that it was Premonition 2009 was entertaining, other than that I wasn't FUN entertained. I liked other shows, SCV 08,09, Corona 07,09, and several others but I just want for once someone to make finals doing a show where they actually smile and it comes naturally. Fahrenheit screamed happy and fun in their show. They spun well and I know they will get better as time goes on. I can't wait to see Braddock and Premonition this weekend! Interested to see where Fahrenheit will place with those other 2 guards around. I hope they do well. I have not seen a standing ovation like that since the late 90's. The crowd adores Fahrenheit.

well standing ovations do not always mean the guard is great! i can recall a world guard that used to get standing o's for doing sloppy tricks with "open" class work, yet they seemed to make finals... until judges finally stopped giving them credit for their bad technique and "open" shows. I actually really like farenheit this season. they look great. But Im afraid their drill is a little redundant at parts. Rifles are always in the Left back corner and the sabers are always in the front

well standing ovations do not always mean the guard is great! i can recall a world guard that used to get standing o's for doing sloppy tricks with "open" class work, yet they seemed to make finals... until judges finally stopped giving them credit for their bad technique and "open" shows. I actually really like farenheit this season. they look great. But Im afraid their drill is a little redundant at parts. Rifles are always in the Left back corner and the sabers are always in the front

youre right about ovations BUT..it's sure would be nice to see more of them. I also remember world guards in the top 5 with the worst and sloppyest shows also. Guess it's easy to ponint out the flaws from the stands.....lol

I did get to see a video and liked them alot ( farenheit ) this year also..............Not so much ONYX I'm afraid to say . Don't get me wrong extremely talented group but I'm just not buying the show or what some claim. We all have our opinions I guess but like DCI complaints lately, guards i think really need to reconsider WHO they are performing to.I love many current shows but lets just not forget what we do and remember just because we call something art doesn't mean it is. JMO

Good Luck Everyone. Seems like many good things happening this year. :smile:

Always a love/hate relationship with Fan Network. Love getting to see all the guards around the country and what theyre doing. Hate how the trolls on here try to judge and nit-pick them based off of it.

I urge you all to keep open minds when watching videos. What you see on the screen can never compare to seeing it live. Good example is Corona this year. Interesting concept, but I'm not falling head over heels for it yet. And then I remember that it's still mid-February... in some crappy high school gym... on a pretty crappy resolution video. Once I see the performers faces and the passion they put into it with all the elements, I'm sure I'll fall in love with the show. After all, it's Corona.

As far as FUN shows go, who wants to see super hyped up shows all the time? This isn't a cheerleading competition. I appreciate a fun show every once in a while, but the true beauty in our activity is how we continue to push ourselves to think outside the box and explore the boundaries and limitations. It transcends throughout the community, and we (as a whole) continue to evolve. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. But even last years Fan Favorite, a FUN show, was trying to push the activity.

Always a love/hate relationship with Fan Network. Love getting to see all the guards around the country and what theyre doing. Hate how the trolls on here try to judge and nit-pick them based off of it.

I urge you all to keep open minds when watching videos. What you see on the screen can never compare to seeing it live. Good example is Corona this year. Interesting concept, but I'm not falling head over heels for it yet. And then I remember that it's still mid-February... in some crappy high school gym... on a pretty crappy resolution video. Once I see the performers faces and the passion they put into it with all the elements, I'm sure I'll fall in love with the show. After all, it's Corona.

As far as FUN shows go, who wants to see super hyped up shows all the time? This isn't a cheerleading competition. I appreciate a fun show every once in a while, but the true beauty in our activity is how we continue to push ourselves to think outside the box and explore the boundaries and limitations. It transcends throughout the community, and we (as a whole) continue to evolve. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. But even last years Fan Favorite, a FUN show, was trying to push the activity.

Onyx I did get to see i n person but you are right who wants to see ANY of one thing. DIVERSITY in design and concepts should be encouraged more and variety at a how makes for a great day of guard.

AS far as Corona, they usually are a guard you have to see in person and a video almost never does them justice.As I said good luck to all. Something for eveyone is a good thing !!!!!!! :smile: