Grab a bowl, It's time to dish: 2k11 Style

PrfctTimeOfDay

Well, I guess the easy answer is that scoring/judging is subjective. It rarely makes sense. I saw Miamisburg at Bellbrook and thought their score was fairly accurate, as there are still a lot of issues that need to be ironed out in that Burg show (mainly execution) I heard that Centerville had a wonderful run before leaving for the Tri-State show, but then had a 2 hour bus ride, followed by waiting for another 2 hours before they even got to touch their equipment. The 4 hour furlough seems to have had some unforeseen consequences on their performance. That said, I think they’re going to be fine…they do have their unis and they are GOREGEOUS! Probably the most beautiful uni I’ve seen all season.

But getting back to the circuit scores vs. wgi scores analysis, there are some similarities in some circuits and then some circuits just go crazy with numbers. Luckily MEPA and Tri-State usually have numbers that will translate well to what a group will receive at a WGI show. Do all circuits use WGI judges? Nope. For Example, I would say that at a MEPA show, one or two of the judges might be an active WGI judge. However, the other adjudicators may have been past WGI judges or may simply just have a past involvement in the activity. Nonetheless, there is no requirement that you must be a WGI judge to judge in a local circuit (though many judges do) I also feel that flying judges from all over the country to judge a local circuit show has some disastrous ramifications for the school hosting the show and the longevity of our activity (but that's another topic) :devil:

And like most things in life…there are some really good judges, and some really bad ones. I think in the end.. it usually all equals out. This is also of course not taking into account the politics that might be in play (it happens as much as we pray to sweet little baby jesus that it doesn’t) And let’s face it, as much as we hate it, it’s a fact of life and a part of this activity. I think that what you do with that knowledge and experience becomes the real lesson or teachable moment to yourself and your group.

As for what scores should we expect at the Dayton Regional? Well…just purely going on gut, experience and knowledge of the groups.

85-83 range

Carmel

Avon

80-78

Trumbull

Burg

Northview

78-75

Norwin

Centerville

Center Grove

LC

WC

Marian Catholic

(I see Burg anywhere from 3rd-7th)

I think the big questions are Norwin whom I’ve seen and look fantastic, they might even jump into the next neighborhood, and Marian whom I’ve heard has had a slow start. The fact remains that SW is a bloodbath this year, and this regional has 9 of the SW finalists from last year. That’s Impressive and Exciting!!! :thumbup:

:w00t:

Agreed - love Kettering's show. Wish their scores were higher; they really perform for the audience and you can see in their faces that they each love what they do. Bellbrook also - what a group. Was sad to not see Northmont yesterday - you can see the talented work of Jesse Yantis on that floor and the group performs it to the utmost.

Miamisburg Elemenetary and Juniors - what can I say? With so many girls coming from parents who medaled at WGI, it is certainly not surprising that the training starts early!! I have seen girls at 2 with swing flags already! And their JUNIOR girls competing at a WGI Regional this weekend in Dayton? THAT IS AMAZING!! :w00t:

Miamisburg World certainly is working hard to get out of the 70's and attempting to regain their status as a guard to be reckoned with; and therein is where my question lies. I am NOT getting scoring AT ALL again this year. The show was sloppy Saturday with a higher score - more fluid and clean Sunday with a LOWER score. I would think it was a MEPA thing, however, Centerville is also still struggling in the lower 70's and I LOVE their show (as usual) and they perform more in the Tri-State circuit this year. Last show I saw was at Kettering, so I do not know if they had costuming or not yet at their last show where they still scored in the 73-ish range.

Are circuit scores different from WGI Regional scores? I was under the impression the judges came from WGI backgrounds - am I mistaken here? WHATS THE DEAL? Someone please help me to understand - Although I have watching this for years and years nopw, everytime I think I have it figured out I am snatched back to reality where I obviously do not have a clue!! What should we expect score wise at the WGI Regional in Dayton this weekend?

Please help - I will bow down and admit I only ACT like I know what is going on half the time!! :worthy:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Could someone explain what James Logan World is doing? What is it? It seems that there should be a point to it but I'm totally missing it.

Santa Clara - thumbs up!!!!

I think Logan is a deconstructed West Side Story.

I dont get SCV show?

it's funny you say West Side Story - that is the first thing I thought as well..... i think they need to deconstruct a little more......... I personally don't see this show beating Carmel - I think the battle for second will be Avon and Logan - - - - and I'm excited to see the Burg!

Just watched SCV on the fan network - love it. They pick up the musical cues amazingly well (the frenzied movement, the slower, stacatto parts).. excellent!! I could see this taking the Gold! : )

James Logan - at first I thought it was an abstract WEst Side Story show... which would be cool. The 2nd half of the show was confusing... pure Logan though - some incredible dancing...equipment work is sloppy but incredible (especially in the first half!).

Diamond BAr - what a comeback!!! So glad to see them on top of their class at the Ceres regional - a truely wonderful program!

it's funny you say West Side Story - that is the first thing I thought as well..... i think they need to deconstruct a little more......... I personally don't see this show beating Carmel - I think the battle for second will be Avon and Logan - - - - and I'm excited to see the Burg!

I hope carmel wins.. I think Logan took a step backwards with this show

some quality productions and powerful performances you won't want to miss are:

pacificaires ind open

zydeco world

corona world

opus X world

trumbull h.s. world

oak ridge h.s.open

americas h.s. world

father ryan h.s. A

and many more to come......

this season is turning out great and getting better all the time. :thumbup: