Phantom Regiment 2011

I'm no judge... but I'm not sure how this new ending really fixes anything except for that very abrupt beginning of elsa's.

My biggest thing with PR this year is that when they face a lot of marching/musical responsibilities---their feet are ridiculously good. The second that it is a slow section, or small step size, or little responsibility, I see people out of step...not just a little bit.

I've seen this all season (shows, rehearsals, and videos) and I'm not sure what gives.

A few comments on the recent video on Regiment. First of all this show just never ceases to amaze me. You feel the energy from the corps and guard in every moment of the show and I am loving it. The music is beautiful, the drill, the choreography, the guard, the sound of the hornline, and a battery and pit section that has surpassed our expectations going into the season.

East of Eden

The opening horn and euph duet is just beautiful and very well played.

The opening hit is well played but I feel like we could use a bit mroe trumpet in roder to have a nice balance since they are playing the melody after all.

The guard choreography is very well done.

the drum line is getting lost in the gorgeous sound of the hornline which is something we ae not accustomed to because of the Way Rennick tuned his line helped the drums be heard on par with the drums.

Tuba Mirium

The trumpet fanfare sounds a lot more together than earlier in the season and it sounds a lot cleaner. We could use more in the higher end. Don't be afraid to play out and make mistakes. You cannot fix mistakes if your playing under the lower trumpets.

Dies Irae/ East of Eden

Very strong overall and great intro.

great flag work as well as saber work

Go percussion especially mallet players, they are playing some fast 16th notes and it sounds great. Keep up the great work percussion!

Transitions into East of Eden sound a lot better and are more balanced then earlier in the season which is great because now no horn players sound lost.

Lacrimosa

The staging looks a lot better and it also seems like they changed Juliet.

Good job pit with the brief interlude

A time for Us

I must say this is now one of my all time favorite ballads now.

Great horn sound. The guard girls should be honored to be seranaded by the beautiful sound of the horns.

beautiful choreography from the guard as well.

The big hit is gorgeous and the guard makes it that much better with some excellent double flag work.

My only complain about the ballad is that there isn't much drill. I feel like we need a nother wow moment besides the moon.

The new synth part is a little bit annoying but I can live with it.

Romeo and Juliet

great solis overall from all of the sections.

Pit and Battery are cooking and are not getting the credit they deserve but then again neither is the entire corp This show is by far the best show of the year to my ears.

Guard is doing a great job with the Rockford File.

Elsas Procession to the Cathedral

trumpet soloist sounds tired at the end of his phrases. Take a bigger breath man or find a few places to breath so you can finish the line strong and not sound like your dying out.

For me personally the tempo is a little too fast and I feel like there should be more rubato. Then again I have played the piece three times and I was also kind of spoiled by my hs band director's excessive use of rubato and ritardando through out the wind ensemble version.

Great sound overall. I am really excited to see what Phantom has in store for us come finals night with that ending.

Edited by lowbrass89

So, I finally got to watch this show on one o' them fancy movin' picture Internet websites...my thoughts are as follows:

I'll start with what I don't like about it. Like some people have said, there are times where it feels like the show is moving along at kind of a sluggish pace, and I felt that at certain points throughout...and that about covers it for what I didn't like. Not even that big of a deal.

As for what I do like, well...where to start? I spend almost every day completely immersing myself in classical music, and so this show is right up my alley! It certainly helps that Mozart, Verdi, Wagner, and Prokofiev are among my all-time favorite composers. I particularly enjoyed the arrangement of Mozart's "Dies Irae." "Elsa's" sounds like it's changed since the last time I heard it (another one of those moving-picture thingies from back in May), and I think it's changed for the better - it feels less awkward now.

Anyway, I feel like if I said any more about the show, I'd just be getting redundant. All-in-all, I love the show this year. You've made this classical music nerd very happy, and I can't wait to see how you guys finish out the season.

I love, love, love the changes. I don't know if they will help them competitively, but I love them.

I will say, though, that the transition into Elsa's still feels awkward to me. The solo is nice (especially since I'm pretty sure that's the Romeo character playing it), it just feels a little abrupt after the previous tune.

Edited by EricNewmanEd

I love, love, love the changes. I don't know if they will help them competitively, but I love them.

I will say, though, that the transition into Elsa's still feels awkward to me. The solo is nice (especially since I'm pretty sure that's the Romeo character playing it), it just feels a little abrupt after the previous tune.

it's because there really isn't a transition, it's prokofiev, and then it's elsas :tongue: still kinda weird to me too.

I think i really like the changes at the end of prokofiev, can't wait to see from higher angle

i think besides elsas my only peeve now is that Juliet is a different girl all the time. I understand that they are all 'juliet', but at the times where one central guard girl is in the lime-light, it's just weird to see it a completely different girl each time, difficult to make a connection with the character.

that being said, it looks like they are starting to sell this show. It's not the awkward boringish show it was a little while back. lots of excitement!

p.s. their feet look incredible a lot of the time!

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

it's because there really isn't a transition, it's prokofiev, and then it's elsas :tongue: still kinda weird to me too.

I think i really like the changes at the end of prokofiev, can't wait to see from higher angle

i think besides elsas my only peeve now is that Juliet is a different girl all the time. I understand that they are all 'juliet', but at the times where one central guard girl is in the lime-light, it's just weird to see it a completely different girl each time, difficult to make a connection with the character.

that being said, it looks like they are starting to sell this show. It's not the awkward boringish show it was a little while back. lots of excitement!

p.s. their feet look incredible a lot of the time!

It's about the Juliet in all women...or some universal message. blegh.

wish i knew about "the site"... ugh :(

ill give you a hint.....starts with you.....ends with something that rhymes with b00b......

• Like 1