Why move the Annapolis show in 2011?

Tour of Champions Venue  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What would have been the better venue?

• Annapolis, MD
    • Piscataway, NJ

I'm glad I double-checked this. I was about to book a flight to Annapolis for that weekend, and just wanted to make sure the show was still there. When I checked the schedule, it wasn't, so I checked here on dcp for that info. Ugh!

<!--quoteo(post=2946000:date=Dec 3 2010, 04:53 PM:name=Old Corps Guy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Corps Guy @ Dec 3 2010, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2946000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...This was to be the first time since Finals were held at the University of MD in the Washington, DC area that included more than a couple of the top corps.

...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

June 20, 2009

Holy Name Cadets

Carolina Crown

Boston Crusaders

Glassmen

Colts

(The top two corps at this show placed 2nd and 3rd at the 2009 DCI World Championship Finals, the next two corps were in Finals and Colts were just 0.30 away from tying for a place in Finals.)

But even more impressive:

June 16, 2007

The Cavaliers

Bluecoats

The Cadets

Carolina Crown

Glassmen

Spirit from JSU

(The top four at this show all scored above 94.00 at the 2007 DCI World Championship Finals and all six corps made Finals.)

It looks like the comments are what I expected from this string. NY/Philly love it. Everyone else, not so much. I was at both of the shows and while they were good shows early in the season, they weren't the great show that the TOC is going to provide.

I have a hunch this may not be the only time this show moves. Hopkins and YEA have tried to get shows at big venues in NJ before like Rutgers and the Meadowlands, but have wound up moving them to places like Clifton because of availability issues.

I just hope this was a scheduling issue and not a way to make a big weekend for NYC/Philly. Same crowds for a weekend and then the same crowds the following weekend at finals. Not waht I would call an outreach to build a fanbase. There are no football games scheduled at Annapolis in early August, so I am not sure what else would be using the Navy-Marine Corps stadium on a Sunday night. The DC area would have been able to pack the stadium with a big show like the TOC. Instead, they get shows with a couple of the top corps in Arlington, VA and Warrenton, VA.

small shows = small crowds.

BIG SHOWS! = BIG CROWDS!

While I feel sorry for the folks in Maryland, I am delighted at the prospect of my family joining me to see a late-season show. Allentown was just too big a committment for my wife. In Piscataway, she'll have no excuse. Four tickets please. In fact, I'll take eight. Neighbors coming too. Maybe my folks? Make it ten.

HH