Need some advice

> "...It is a fact that more kids dream of donning a Regiment helmet than, say, a Teal Sound shako. There is a deep sense of pride that comes with associating oneself with such success."

Phantom Regiment: 1972 Placement 23rd

Blue Devils: 1973 Placement 24th

Carolina Crown: 1990 Placement 33rd

The aforementioned corps’ have developed a Large following today through their growth in competitive success. And Teal Sound (2010 Placement 20th) can develop the same type of following if they have the same type of crawling up the ladder success. Just look at The Academy! If they keep progressing up that ladder, they will also develop a huge following who desire the pride of being a member of The Academy. In a manner of speaking, the chase for the ring is macro(corps) as well as micro(individual).

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

I think "ringchasing" has hurt drum corps. The reason is that if someone wants to join BD or Cavies, and they don't make it, a LOT of the time they don't MARCH AT ALL. That doesn't help the other corps or the activity.........

How does that kind of mentality "hurt" drum corps? It seems to me that that kind of mentality only Hurts the Blue Devils not other corps! That just means that other corps get the non-ring chasers! LOL!

I heard from a MM of a G8 corps that it was corps policy to never to refer to them by their name all season -- they were simply referred to as Tuba 6 !

Disagree, I find it highly strange that they would do that. From what I heard from my friends at Phantom and the Blue Stars, they call you by name, and they are respectful. I talked to my friend who goes to college with me here who was in the Blue Stars and they are highly family oriented there, very good atmosphere.

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

How does that kind of mentality "hurt" drum corps? It seems to me that that kind of mentality only Hurts the Blue Devils not other corps! That just means that other corps get the non-ring chasers! LOL!

You gotta read, I said they DON'T MARCH ANYWHERE ELSE............

Disagree, I find it highly strange that they would do that. From what I heard from my friends at Phantom and the Blue Stars, they call you by name, and they are respectful. I talked to my friend who goes to college with me here who was in the Blue Stars and they are highly family oriented there, very good atmosphere.

He already clarified his post was in jest.

You gotta read, I said they DON'T MARCH ANYWHERE ELSE............

Of course they do not march anywhere else, but you cannot blame those kids for destroying the drum corps activity. They have already forked over hundreds of dollars in non-refundable audition fees and travel expenses to audition for the corps of their choice. Moreover, when it costs the same multi-thousands of dollars to march a tenth place (Open Class) corps as it does a top three (World Class) corps many of those who do not make it into a WC corps will decide to stay home.

I'm looking for a home. I marched one season at a middle of the road drum corps, but found the experience to be not what I signed up for, or what I was promised. So, I was wondering if the DCP crowd could give me some advice on finding a family based, loving, drum corps. Sure I want to be able to compete, but the experience is the main thing.

I have found a home at BAC, so thats my two cents.

I think "ringchasing" has hurt drum corps. The reason is that if someone wants to join BD or Cavies, and they don't make it, a LOT of the time they don't MARCH AT ALL. That doesn't help the other corps or the activity.........

That happens with most corps when kids audition and are cut. Not just the very top corps. While I wish more would give another corps a shot, it's not my business to tell a person how they should spend their time and $$$. It is not cheap to march these days, so if a person only wants to march one specific corps, that's their right. They are under no obligation to help another corps if it's not a corps they want to join.