Rookie audition question

Hey guys, 

I just have a question in terms of auditioning. 

In November I went to Bluecoats camp and had the time of my life. I really couldn't get enough, even though I wasn't called back, I saw how amazing this activity is.

Well, about a month later, I'm dying to march somewhere this summer. I will do anything to find another corps. I just miss that Corps feel so much.

But here is my problem, with performing in allstate band as trumpet, it's leaving me with very little preparation time for any type of December camp, but I know I can do it. The corps I'm looking at are the Glassmen, Teal sound, the Bluestars, and any other open class corps close to northern Kentucky.

So in terms of how many spots are open in the corps, and distance away from my area, which would you guys suggest?

I'm willing to put everything I have into this.

Thanks guys!

Might be a bit of a stretch, especially if you are driving, but Im very sure you would earn a spot in Pioneer. Great corps, and Im sure they'd be happy to have you. If you're looking at Open Class, Music City might also be a good bet, I think they're based out of Nashville. I think Cincinnati Tradition (DCA corps) is near you as well.

scouts do auditions in bloomington, indiana. thats pretty close right?

i also heard they're looking for some mellophone players and probably upper lead trumpets too

Edited by wcmello09

my advice is really to go to the corps you want to go to. Is Teal Sound anywhere near you? That seems like a random corps, given your geographic location, assuming you are in the ohio area. Do they have camps near you? I'm sure BS and GMen had tons of people at their first camps, but I'm sure they would take a look at new people in December too. Teal Sound would love it if you went to them, I'm sure.

What other preparation are you looking to do? Seems like if you are playing in allstate you should probably have a piece worked up that you could use for audition? Or, if these corps have specific audition pieces, then you should probably see what they are to see if you are familiar with any of them so you could get it up to speed faster.

scouts do auditions in bloomington, indiana. thats pretty close right?

i also heard they're looking for some mellophone players and probably upper lead trumpets too

Yes and yes and I know they have some members in Kentucky that would be happy to carpool you up to the WACPAC for camps! Missing December camp shouldn't be a huge deal. Shoot director Dann Peterson an email for more details.

Why not look at spirit as well? They are closer than teal sound.

If you are in No. KY, Madison would be the closest WC corps camp, and I also heard they are still short mellos and upper trumpets. Blue Stars is probably the next closest WC camp. I heard they had something like 65 trumpets and thirty-something mellos at their first camp, but you never really know what the level of players were that tried out, so they are also a strong possibility. For Open Class, Music City is pretty close to you and seems to be doing really well for a new corps. Choose a corps and go. The money will be well spent no matter the outcome.

Good luck!