Finals Review via the Finals DVDs

I received the finals dvds in the mail yesterday and have now watched all sixteen corps that performed that night.

Background

I haven't seen a show live since DCA 2004. I have no idea of what's evolved since then. I see what corps are playing and many times wonder why. I see the scores not knowing if someone got shafted and all that. In other words, I came into the viewing of the video totally blind, not knowing what to expect. And I do know that there is a big difference in seeing and hearing live vs what is on video.

General observations

1. What happened to melody matters? Sure, the majority of the corps don't fall into that, just a few. In my mind, hornlines were not created to play nothing but accented eighth notes to highlight flag work.

2. Alliance and Corps Vets coexisting in the same city. I had expressed concern that Atlanta wouldn't be able to sustain two quality corps. Too many times one will succeed at the expense of the other. I was wrong.

3. Was it humid or something that night? There were so many intonation problems in ballads, just wondering why. I thought multi-key was suppose to solve things like that. :confused:

The corps

Buccaneers vs Minnesota Brass. I thought the spread should have been much less..perhaps even reversed. Both had well designed and well performed shows. Although with MBI, I didn't recognize anything until Sherehazad and then Caravan. Good to see Roger Grupp still at it!

One thing I was wondering too--is there historical evidence that Roman legions actually goosestepped? Not to my knowledge so just wondering why Bucs put that in, as well as Phantom since the first time they did Spartacus. Aside from that--either of these would have been worthy champions in my opinion.

Emprie--most entertaining show. Where else would you see a wicked witch doing rifle work. The combination of all three versions of the story was very well done. Definitely deserved the showmanship award. (but why was Dorothy blond?)

Hurcs--well done....much better than the last time I saw them. Well put together, easy to get into show. Kudos!

Cabs---looks odd without Jimmy Russo at the helm but life goes on. Typical Cabs..fast, loud and high. Great solo work as always!

Kidsgrove Scouts--they may have deserved higher. Well designed show. I expected less coming from Europe and given the history of European corps at DCI, I really didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surprised!

Alliance--I thought this show was going to be very morbid. To my surprise it wasn't, in fact, I really got into it! Great drumline!! I would have loved to have the bell ringer's drill!

Corps Vets--first loud of the night of the competing corps. Very well done show, powerful hornline throughout. Great job!

Bushwackers--interesting show..umm skulls? Decent hornline, good drill. Was that suppose to be a virgin sacrifice??? Just wondering!

Renegades--what happened? Yes, the music was good...but what happened to you guys? Is loud no longer good? I was very disappointed at the performance....the concept was there but the performance of it left much to be desired. Sorry guys.

Kilties--did they deserve their placement? After watching it and seeing the finalists, yes. A lot of people said it was too old style..and they're right. The music was challenging. The guard was perhaps the best they've had. I don't know-they have a lot of new blood and they are loud--although it was nice to hear actually dynamic differences. Maybe the arrangements were too chopped up....I'm not sure, but I think others are right that it will take a more complex show that's performed well to make it back into finals. This show was performed well and I did enjoy it.

Fusion Core-I have never seen them (or Alliance either). I'm not sure what I was expecting...maybe it was more than what I saw based on their score, being the highest score ever in class A. It wasn't exciting but I agree it should have won..was a good performance and congrats!

Grenadiers--how they beat both Gold and Govies is beyond me. They're the major example of intonation problems as well as forgetting the concept of melody matters. Their opener sounded like an exercise from a band method book. I didn't recognize anything they played--perhaps actual melodies would have helped and it would have helped without having to cringe at the tuning problems.

Carolina Gold--ok--early 90s Minnesota Brass crime fighter shows. Perry Mason theme--check. Shot fired followed by scream--check. Dragnet them--check. After that--no idea what they were playing.

Govenaires--typical Govies--great DM as always, nice sounding small hornline, decent drum line, best guard in class A, recognizable music and entertaining to the hilt! Should have been in second easy.

Star United--my favorite of the entire night. Wow! These guys can put out some sound! Makes you wonder how a mini-corps can project and sound louder than a full sized corps. Well, they play their butts off and...gasp...they play in tune! Loved them!

Overall..very disappointed in some, pleasantly surprised by others and wowed by a few. Only a few who I would watch again.

Sorry for being blunt...but why apologize. I just reported on what I saw and heard. Perhaps this would have been written differently had I seen it live.

• Like 1

I received the finals dvds in the mail yesterday and have now watched all sixteen corps that performed that night.

Background

I haven't seen a show live since DCA 2004. I have no idea of what's evolved since then. I see what corps are playing and many times wonder why. I see the scores not knowing if someone got shafted and all that. In other words, I came into the viewing of the video totally blind, not knowing what to expect. And I do know that there is a big difference in seeing and hearing live vs what is on video.

General observations

1. What happened to melody matters? Sure, the majority of the corps don't fall into that, just a few. In my mind, hornlines were not created to play nothing but accented eighth notes to highlight flag work.

2. Alliance and Corps Vets coexisting in the same city. I had expressed concern that Atlanta wouldn't be able to sustain two quality corps. Too many times one will succeed at the expense of the other. I was wrong.

3. Was it humid or something that night? There were so many intonation problems in ballads, just wondering why. I thought multi-key was suppose to solve things like that. :confused:

The corps

Buccaneers vs Minnesota Brass. I thought the spread should have been much less..perhaps even reversed. Both had well designed and well performed shows. Although with MBI, I didn't recognize anything until Sherehazad and then Caravan. Good to see Roger Grupp still at it!

One thing I was wondering too--is there historical evidence that Roman legions actually goosestepped? Not to my knowledge so just wondering why Bucs put that in, as well as Phantom since the first time they did Spartacus. Aside from that--either of these would have been worthy champions in my opinion.

Frank,

A very minor off-topic point, but the Romans did use the goose-step waaaaay back in the day. Obviously it was only used on ceremonial occasions. The Bald Buffoon (Mussolini) resurrected it in the late Thrties when he had dreams of reestablishing the Roman Empire. At that time, it was called the Passo Romano.

Andy

Frank,

A very minor off-topic point, but the Romans did use the goose-step waaaaay back in the day. Obviously it was only used on ceremonial occasions. The Bald Buffoon (Mussolini) resurrected it in the late Thrties when he had dreams of reestablishing the Roman Empire. At that time, it was called the Passo Romano.

Andy

Oh ok..thanks Andy. I thought it might have been one of those Hollywood embellishments of history that they like to do.

The Bald Buffoon (Mussolini) resurrected it in the late Thrties when he had dreams of reestablishing the Roman Empire.

Yes... that was during the "Louder, Fascist, Higher" era of drum corps. :tongue:

As for the weather, it was quite cold which drastically changed the tuning of the pit instruments. So you didn't so much hear horns out of tune with other horns, as much as relative to the front ensembles. Some corps made the adjustments better than others.

As for the weather, it was quite cold which drastically changed the tuning of the pit instruments. So you didn't so much hear horns out of tune with other horns, as much as relative to the front ensembles. Some corps made the adjustments better than others.

That's what I was thinking at first...I can't remember which corps, but there was a sop or trumpet solo that wasn't in tune at all with the pit. So that explains that. Thanks!

Background

General observations

The corps

Emprie--most entertaining show. Where else would you see a wicked witch doing rifle work. The combination of all three versions of the story was very well done. Definitely deserved the showmanship award. (but why was Dorothy blond?)

Hurcs--well done....much better than the last time I saw them. Well put together, easy to get into show. Kudos!

Cabs---looks odd without Jimmy Russo at the helm but life goes on. Typical Cabs..fast, loud and high. Great solo work as always!

Kidsgrove Scouts--they may have deserved higher. Well designed show. I expected less coming from Europe and given the history of European corps at DCI, I really didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surprised!

Alliance--I thought this show was going to be very morbid. To my surprise it wasn't, in fact, I really got into it! Great drumline!! I would have loved to have the bell ringer's drill!

Corps Vets--first loud of the night of the competing corps. Very well done show, powerful hornline throughout. Great job!

Bushwackers--interesting show..umm skulls? Decent hornline, good drill. Was that suppose to be a virgin sacrifice??? Just wondering!

Renegades--what happened? Yes, the music was good...but what happened to you guys? Is loud no longer good? I was very disappointed at the performance....the concept was there but the performance of it left much to be desired. Sorry guys.

Kilties--did they deserve their placement? After watching it and seeing the finalists, yes. A lot of people said it was too old style..and they're right. The music was challenging. The guard was perhaps the best they've had. I don't know-they have a lot of new blood and they are loud--although it was nice to hear actually dynamic differences. Maybe the arrangements were too chopped up....I'm not sure, but I think others are right that it will take a more complex show that's performed well to make it back into finals. This show was performed well and I did enjoy it.

Fusion Core-I have never seen them (or Alliance either). I'm not sure what I was expecting...maybe it was more than what I saw based on their score, being the highest score ever in class A. It wasn't exciting but I agree it should have won..was a good performance and congrats!

Grenadiers--how they beat both Gold and Govies is beyond me. They're the major example of intonation problems as well as forgetting the concept of melody matters. Their opener sounded like an exercise from a band method book. I didn't recognize anything they played--perhaps actual melodies would have helped and it would have helped without having to cringe at the tuning problems.

Carolina Gold--ok--early 90s Minnesota Brass crime fighter shows. Perry Mason theme--check. Shot fired followed by scream--check. Dragnet them--check. After that--no idea what they were playing.

Govenaires--typical Govies--great DM as always, nice sounding small hornline, decent drum line, best guard in class A, recognizable music and entertaining to the hilt! Should have been in second easy.

Star United--my favorite of the entire night. Wow! These guys can put out some sound! Makes you wonder how a mini-corps can project and sound louder than a full sized corps. Well, they play their butts off and...gasp...they play in tune! Loved them!

Overall..very disappointed in some, pleasantly surprised by others and wowed by a few. Only a few who I would watch again.

Sorry for being blunt...but why apologize. I just reported on what I saw and heard. Perhaps this would have been written differently had I seen it live.

I too was not at finals and have only watched some of these shows live.

I think your assessment of the shows and corps is spot on. I would echo your comments had a posted a review.

I've had a chance to watch more of the DVD and really loved the Cabellero's show. Agree very much with the comment about great solo work. Who was that guy (or guys for the duet at the end)? Sounded fantastic.

The 2 wailing Trumpets at the end of the Cabs show are Mike (Gordito) Ferreria and Drew Wilke. Both AMAZING players!!! Drew played the "Call to the Bulls", and Mike joined in with the upper register stuff. :worthy: