Which Show These Last 10 Years Will Define The 2000-2010 Decade?

interesting. I'm going to say Cavies 2002. While not a homer for this show like many, I think this is the show that vaulted the visual to a point to where it has become in many ways more dominant than the music

Corrected

how can you define an entire decad. theres too much diversity, especially this past one.

i would have to say all of the shows define the decade

I feel like each decade since DCI's establishment has had a corps that sort of defined it and left its eternal legacy upon.

Which show will that be for this decade? For what reasons? What will people 30 years from now say about the 2000-2010 class of drum corps?

Kind of hard to say......but one thing I have noticed is that ever since Phantom Regiment 2003...corps started playing a Reprise at the end of their shows...tying the opening music to the closing music.

In the older days corps use to do this....but it seemed to go absent for while....

• Like 1

If you want to go by DCI decade, you shouldn't go by calendar dates such as 70's, 80's, 90's. You should go by DCI decade - 72-81, 82-91, 92-01, 02-11.

Using this analysis, the best of the current decade may not have happened yet.

And yes, Michael, I checked. Each of those time periods is only 10 years long. :smile:

If you want to go by DCI decade, you shouldn't go by calendar dates such as 70's, 80's, 90's. You should go by DCI decade - 72-81, 82-91, 92-01, 02-11.

Using this analysis, the best of the current decade may not have happened yet.

And yes, Michael, I checked. Each of those time periods is only 10 years long. :smile:

According to my Cray Supercomputer, you appear to be right.

I have to go with those who say Cavaliers 2002 defined the decade, and not just because I named the show. (According to show coordinator Scott Koter, the original working title was, "The Elements of Music/Design.") There seemed to be a paradigm shift regarding a number of factors resulting from that show...visual and audio synchronizing, a more symphonic approach to brass performance, drum features as major change-of-pace statements, etc. The show seemed to define and influence so much that came after. For me, it was like seeing the multitude of asymmetrical drills in 1981 after Santa Clara Vanguard's groundbreaking asymmetrical drill the year before.

Well...by the logic of Y2K...

decades now ARE 11 years long...as we welcomed the 21st century 365 days earlier than when it actually arrived.

As to the topic at hand (which someone rightly pointed out has another year to run...) - I would have to agree that the 2002 Cavaliers exemplifies the aspect of the current decade that stands out most...in my opinion (the usually left off tag line appropriate to every posting on DCP...).

Well...by the logic of Y2K...

decades now ARE 11 years long...as we welcomed the 21st century 365 days earlier than when it actually arrived.

I have to admit that annoyed me as I subscribed to 2000 belonging to the last year of the 1900s. There's a reason Arthur C. Clarke chose "2001" for the title of his fantasy.

But, as someone said in another thread, perception is reality.

• Like 1

Whenever I introduce someone to DCI that's never even heard of it, I tend to show them a Cavaliers show (first it was 02, then 06, now it will be 2010), and almost always 08 Phantom.

I feel like the best way to answer this question would be, "If you met someone that didn't know what DCI was, and, instead of explaining it, you made them watch a show, which show from 2001-2010 would you pick to best exemplify what DCI was all about?" Well, maybe...

Finally a thread on DCP worth replying to!

I won't comment on the 70's because I don't know anything about that era.

That being said, one could say that Cadets '83 defined the 80's getting away from semetrical drill and moving at high velocity.

One could say that Star '93 defined the 90's with their departure from the norm and creating a more "abstract" show.

Using the past two decade-defining shows (in my opinion) in 20 years we will look back on the oughts and look to a show that greatly provided a paradigm shift in the activity.

Though Cavaliers '02 was quite different in terms of visual quality and visual design, it was not enough of a shift to define the whole decade. Not every corps out there is designing the way that show was designed. Original music never really caught on and no corps really wants to write drill the same way as the Cavaliers in fear that they will be forever compared as copy-cats.

The one show that has defined the oughts is definitely Cadets '05. This story-telling concept as well as voice and instrument amplification definetly opened the door (pun intended) to a new era of Drum Corps.

• Like 1