Awesome choreography? Teehee.... hardly.

Yahoo! Video

I just saw this video that demonstrated the "marching ability" of a certain group of individuals from overseas... It has 1 Million+ views and people seem to be amazed by it.

While good, they are NOTHING compared to what we see in drum corps, at least in my opinion. If people are surprised by this, wait till they see drum corps in action!

What do you think?

I saw this!! It's not as good as what most World Class corps are putting out right now. They would be amazed, people just don't know about the activity.

... and 'they' never will know of the activity since it's no longer publicly broadcast (I discovered DCI on PBS in '88 and was immediately hooked and marching 3 years later), and any attempts by us rabid fans to promote the activity through Youtube with self-made 'in the lot' video's or actual stadium performances is met with cease and desist warnings. DCI is doing everything in their power to keep it all a secret.

• Like 1

... and 'they' never will know of the activity since it's no longer publicly broadcast (I discovered DCI on PBS in '88 and was immediately hooked and marching 3 years later), and any attempts by us rabid fans to promote the activity through Youtube with self-made 'in the lot' video's or actual stadium performances is met with cease and desist warnings. DCI is doing everything in their power to keep it all a secret.

I don't think DCI is trying to keep drum corps a secret from the masses, they just want to control the way it's viewed. If Johnny is showed a video on Youtube or any other video online, if he doesn't like it, he's only sacrificed 2 to 5 minutes of his time. If Johnny goes to a show or purchases a DVD or downloads something from the Fan Network and doesn't like it, he has given time and money to DCI.

I don't think DCI is trying to keep drum corps a secret from the masses, they just want to control the way it's viewed. If Johnny is showed a video on Youtube or any other video online, if he doesn't like it, he's only sacrificed 2 to 5 minutes of his time. If Johnny goes to a show or purchases a DVD or downloads something from the Fan Network and doesn't like it, he has given time and money to DCI.

... and if Johnny never knows that DCI exists because it has almost zero online presence and absolutely no TV time then DCI gets $0. You can't promote a product by hiding it.

... and if Johnny never knows that DCI exists because it has almost zero online presence and absolutely no TV time then DCI gets $0. You can't promote a product by hiding it.

You also don't promote a product by getting yourself (DCI) in hot water with copyright holders (ASCAP, BMI, etc.) by not being responsible with what they've licensed you.

Not true. There is plenty of drum corps to be seen on YouTube. Here's one that doesn't even violate any DCP rules.

What's more, these are available on demand. The PBS broadcast was a flash in the pan.

HH

• Like 1

You also don't promote a product by getting yourself (DCI) in hot water with copyright holders (ASCAP, BMI, etc.) by not being responsible with what they've licensed you.

Quite right. However, DCI should push hard in their negotiations with these rights holders to permit them more promotional opportunities. It's happened in other entertainment fields. For instance, in the past few years, various organizations of theatrical producers (Broadway, Off-Broadway, LORT) have convinced the actors', directors', and designers' unions to allow them to post more and longer clips on youtube and the like.

the backwards passthrough was pretty outstanding...

and they did it without "duts" you could hear 50 yards away....and no yard lines...

Edited by skewerz

This isn't comparable to drum corps, necessarily. This is an example - albeit an obscure one - of what we'd call unarmed exhibition drill in the US. And I've got to say - executing some of those passthroughs would be pretty difficult. Of course the demand isn't nearly the same; drum corps is much more demanding than many of its sister activities. The video's circulated throughout the drill world and is pretty impressive compared to similar routines performed by groups in the US. :smile: