Shane Gwaltney

Looking back on Gwaltneys Drum Corp history is this a predictor for success at Phantom? It's hard enough coming in with a Drumline that doesn't compete for a championship but when expectations are high considering Rennicks legacy, does anyone expect Phantom to be in the top three in percussion?

I suppose the same applies to Rennick but he will draw experience and former regiment talent. I don't expect him to start completely from scratch.

Looking back on Gwaltneys Drum Corp history is this a predictor for success at Phantom? It's hard enough coming in with a Drumline that doesn't compete for a championship but when expectations are high considering Rennicks legacy, does anyone expect Phantom to be in the top three in percussion?

I suppose the same applies to Rennick but he will draw experience and former regiment talent. I don't expect him to start completely from scratch.

You have just described the sweet/bitter aspect of winning; sweet for just a moment in time then to "some" people anything less than first place the next year is nothing but a bitter shortfall.

• Like 1

Paul Rennick will definitely benefit from having many of his returning vets from Phantom join him at SCV. Did any return to Phantom? With those that went to SCV plus the returning vets from SCV 2010, that line will be very very good.

Although Shane will probably have an all new line, I'm sure several of his better players from Spirit will join him at Phantom. He produced some very talented lines at Spirit and given time he can make Phantom a top 6 line again.

Regiment hasn't had a great past with drum caption heads.

I remember both Beddis and Mason having their issues with the "brass-centric" nature of the organization back in the 90s. Rennick had a pretty complete package however with both quality writing and teaching. Some of the best drumming from Regiment in the last 20 years. All water under...let's see what Gwaltney brings to the table in year one. Besides, going back to all woman guard may affect placement as much if not more than percussion scores.

So, Juliet, Tchaikovsky perhaps? Well, we shall see.

Phantom has always had a good percussion section. And it's not just Paul who left, his wife and him both went to SCV. I expect Phantom's line to be good this season, maybe not 1st place good again, but good nonetheless. Spirit's line was pretty underranked IMO

I'm a bit disappointed with the drumline alumni who have gone with Rennick rather than staying with the Phamily.

I'd like to see what Shane can do. Lord knows MCM knows how to put on a show.

well this brings up a question for me. what is this thing with "corps loyalty"?? ive always felt players should go where they feel the best instruction is being given, whether it be at the same corps for a number of years, or at 3 different corps in 3 different years. maybe its just me....idk

but on a lighter note, its goning to be very interesting to see what shane brings to the table with regiment. recently, regiment's percussion material has always been great accompaniment to the brass book and that made the shows flow so well. granted that has to do with who's writing the material, i hope that shane can keep that trend going.

i would assume as well that many, if not all of the eligible phantom vets went with rennick to scv. i mean, why not? win drums once, good possiblity to do it again with the same people/instructors.

i wish both groups all the best! DCI 2011 is gonna be great!

Shane will be ok; Regiment will be ok; Paul will be ok; SCV will be ok.

If Regiment vet drummers stay with Regiment out of corps loyalty I say good for them.

If Regiment vet drummers follow Paul to SCV out of loyalty to him I say good for them.

If Regiment vet drummers stay with Regiment because they think Shane is a fine instructor I say good for them.

If Regiment vet drummers follow Paul to SCV because they do not want to march under Shane I say good for them.

If Regiment vet drummers stay with Regiment because they think Regiment will win I say good for them.

If Regiment vet drummers follow Paul to SCV because they think SCV will win I say good for them.

I believe that covers it.

• Like 1

I'm a bit disappointed with the drumline alumni who have gone with Rennick rather than staying with the Phamily.

I'd like to see what Shane can do. Lord knows MCM knows how to put on a show.

Speaking of which . . will Gwaltney still be involved with MCM?

Does anyone know how many PR vets went to SCV with Paul Rennick, did the predicted mass exodus occur?