Scientific Methods of Studying Audience Reaction in Drum Corps

While it may be possible to scientifically study why music (and especially drum corps) has an emotional effect on audience members, any scientific quantifying won't take into considering the visceral reaction a drum corps fan's soul has when experiencing a show. Any attempt to create shows to exploit the neurological processes and chemical releases in the brain would be destined to accomplish neither responses. What makes drum corps special to each individual goes beyond numbers, charts and graphs and enters that element that is gloriously unknown...and unknown for a reason we're not likely to understand or comprehend.

In addition, such a show conceived by such criteria might work on paper, but might be created for a corps that just can't handle the demands of said show. It's certainly not unknown for instructors to overwrite for a corps' abilities.

Conceiving shows is sort of a hit or miss proposition. Creators can't know for sure if what they've put together will truly fulfill their hopes and expectations until the season begins, and often not for weeks into the season.

Instead of pondering scientific quantifications to create a show, one's time would be better spent twiddling one's thumbs.

• Like 1

While it may be possible to scientifically study why music (and especially drum corps) has an emotional effect on audience members, any scientific quantifying won't take into considering the visceral reaction a drum corps fan's soul has when experiencing a show. Any attempt to create shows to exploit the neurological processes and chemical releases in the brain would be destined to accomplish neither responses. What makes drum corps special to each individual goes beyond numbers, charts and graphs and enters that element that is gloriously unknown...and unknown for a reason we're not likely to understand or comprehend.

In addition, such a show conceived by such criteria might work on paper, but might be created for a corps that just can't handle the demands of said show. It's certainly not unknown for instructors to overwrite for a corps' abilities.

Conceiving shows is sort of a hit or miss proposition. Creators can't know for sure if what they've put together will truly fulfill their hopes and expectations until the season begins, and often not for weeks into the season.

Instead of pondering scientific quantifications to create a show, one's time would be better spent twiddling one's thumbs.

For me, my reactions often depend on my mood. For whatever reason, Phantom's 03 closer will make me well up on one day, and just get crazy excited on another.

What would be beneficial is discovering scientifically how to appeal to the judges.

Other than that, this thread...Well, never mind. I'll just say it's nice to see this thread being treated with all the seriousness the issue deserves. :satisfied:

Edited by DrillmanSop06

If you've been paying attention to my posts, you know my position on this issue. So without getting into a rant, I firmly believe that we can scientifically study exactly why music and more specifically drum corps has such an emotional effect on audience members. Furthermore, I think we can go even deeper, into isolated musical and visual characteristics of a show, and discover how they map to neurological processes and chemical releases in the brain. Such information would be incredibly useful for show designers to aid in creating the most exhilirating products possible, because we'd have the exact knowledge of what makes them so.

I know not everyone may agree that such an attempt is even possible, would have any effect, or would even be beneficial to drum corps, but I figured I'd share this article on the topic to help get the ball rolling.

Pretty much what market research is. Those that don't seize upon this will fail. I'm actually surprised at some of the answers here that are so negative. I suspect some people don't run a business or understand the importance of what this is or the implications of actually not doing it.

• Like 2

ani-twiddle02.gif

Got it! What's next?

Post a thread about it and ask people to take it real srs. I believe we can objectively measure thumb twiddling's effect on drum corps. Because I am getting a Master's degree. Did I get it right?

• Like 1

Pretty much what market research is. Those that don't seize upon this will fail. I'm actually surprised at some of the answers here that are so negative. I suspect some people don't run a business or understand the importance of what this is or the implications of actually not doing it.

Should museums do scientific research to find out what paintings or sculptures get the best reaction so they can exhibit them to get more donations from the public? And get rid of the art that the majority doesn't respond to?

And will this study be able to explain why Phantom's reprise in '03 made me get choked up one day in the car, got me all sorts of fired up and excited on another occasion and left me with really no reaction at all on another day?

Will it answer why I didn't care for BD live this year at finals, but have actually listened to them quite a bit since then?

It's the same music.