2011 BRIGS NEWS THREAD!

The Brigadiers Drum and Bugle Corps, and it parent organization, the Brigadiers Music Association, announced that it is focusing on a 2012 return to the competitive field. It will use the 2011 season to further strengthen the corps' financial position. Given the continued, difficult state of the economy, projected record summer fuel prices,and the aggressive minimum financial goals set for the organization, it was felt that to return in 2011 would have been an unreasonable risk. So, as we anticipate our successful 2012 return to the field, we must do so in a way that will best support the continued longevity of the Brigadiers.

Scott Mescon

Brigadiers 1993-

Edited by SkipMebden

I'd rather have you take the time and do it right than tisk it all and never field again. Good luck!!

So very sad to read this. With no competitive new blood coming into open class its going to be a lean year for open class.

For the collective minds here??????

Historically speaking..... has any DCA open class corps gone two years away from the competitive field and made a successful come back as a viable competitive organization?

Ask the Brigs, they were away for, I believe, 18 years before their return in 1992.

So very sad to read this. With no competitive new blood coming into open class its going to be a lean year for open class.

Historically speaking..... has any DCA open class corps gone two years away from the competitive field and made a successful come back as a viable competitive organization?

There will be new blood in Open. Tampa Bay Thunder plans on going Open.

I agree with Jeff. With that being said, who is to say that they would come back as an Open Class corps? Class A would seem much more likely. Also, hope is not lost, as I heard that MCL may be coming back (they have an Open House or camp coming up soon). In addition, there may be one or two Class A groups that decide to make the jump.

Fusion Core is likely in a position where they can get the membership to do that after the A Class win. They had a very clean show last year and with the right programming could be competitive in Open Class with just a couple more horns.

• Like 2

There will be new blood in Open. Tampa Bay Thunder plans on going Open.

I guess where there's a will there is a way. Good luck to you guys! Wouldn't that be great if Sun Devils and MCL both came out Open, as well!!! That would be 5 Open Class corps in the South!

... I can dream, can't I?

Ask the Brigs, they were away for, I believe, 18 years before their return in 1992.

Awesome news. I did not know that.

Are they the only ones to do that?

Fusion Core is likely in a position where they can get the membership to do that after the A Class win. They had a very clean show last year and with the right programming could be competitive in Open Class with just a couple more horns.

I agree with this statement. I hope they have the numbers if they do decide to move up. I understand the theory that is being thrown around with some of the Class A corps wanting to go open class this year because the number of open class corps has diminished to the point where there is only 10 open class corps. So all you have to do is beat one to get in. While I understand this theory I do not agree with it. There is the share money to be made and while I understand this can be a motivating factor winning Class A would be my priority. Its easier to recruit at the table when you can say you are a Champion. No one wants to hear you were 9th 10th or 11th place loser.

No matter what people say its hard to be "competitive" in Open class without large numbers with the sheets we have today. So much is predicated on visual and field coverage. 20 years ago that may have been different. I really do not see taking a run at the Bucs with only 62 members. Maybe if Future corps came out with those sort of numbers could the job get done but otherwise no.

Edited by camel lips

yes. The Brigs.

and Archie..maybe Sun too