Lack of TV time for College Marching Bands

By law, I thought you were required to always refer to that particular educational instituion as "THE Ohio State University..." with a very heavy emphasis on the "THE" part of the name. You must not be proud of your alma mater.

I believe an appropriate member of THE Ohio State University alumni office has been dispatched to his location. Yep...I am following them on my THE Ohio State app. on my smart phone. Those guys are everywhere.

Yup, the only time you see a halftime performance is during the Super Bowl and recently, the AFC and NFC chanpionship games and these are more Broadway type productions presented by "so and so". It's all about the money and more importantly (in their minds) the TV networks hiring every ex player and coach on the planet to get their "expert" analysis. In the early AFL days, you would about 5-8 minutes of band coverage and a quick lead into the 2nd half by the broadcasting crew on site before there was a studio sports desk back in New York.

On the way from Garfield to Dallas for 71 VFW Nats we stopped off in Miami for a Dolphin/49'er summer ex game...NBC showed our entire show...in the pouring rain. Goodness did it ever POUR! There was a picture on the front page of one of the main Miami newspapers the next day showing our timpani line with the rain bouncing off the drums as they played.

Didn't the same thing happen at Danny Thomas or World Open that got a picture in Drum Corps News back then?

By law, I thought you were required to always refer to that particular educational instituion as "THE Ohio State University..." with a very heavy emphasis on the "THE" part of the name. You must not be proud of your alma mater.

Correct you are, sir!

But I wasn't referring to THE Ohio State University, I was referring to their band which, by law, must be referred to as TBDBITL.

Fortunately for me the band name Nazi's are all getting drunk on The Oval, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

Besides, when I went there it was simply called OSU.

Networks will occasionally still show a few minutes of band programs at halftime, but this analyst caste sprung up in the late 80s, and they have to feed the stat beast. So less field footage, but they do show more of the bands in the stands.

November 2010. In fact, every November around Thanksgiving, NBC has been showing much of the "Battle of the Bands" between Southern and Grambling for a while, even promo-ing during the game (there is a football game too).

It's not a total win for us band geeks. The producers don't mic the field appropriately for band sound, so we tend to hear whichever baritone is overblowing in front of the camera mic at any given moment. It's too bad because those of us fortunate enough to have heard Southern live know what a glorious sound it can be.

HH

NOTE TO READERS: Sorry if I ruined anyone's day by using the term "mic" but I felt it necessary in context. It was not meant to remind you of drum corps's current condition. Nor was it intended to divert this topic. Mic can be a neutral term. It certainly was intended as such here. Can't we all just get along? Speaking of halftimes past: I'd like to teach the world to sing ...

I notice this one too every year. But, I cant recall when they advertise the promos, or even during the game, if the Battle of the Bands is a corporately sponsored segment of the broadcast. Ie: The Dr. Pepper throw the football in the trashcan and win a scholarship event. Or the Subway halftime show.

If not a corporately sponsored segment of the broadcast- It speaks for it being part and parcel as to why people tune into the game. Which is a great thing.

Edited by Dmlkmen

Yeah, buuuuuuttttttt...

There is a big difference between loud and musical and loud and offensive. Most college marching bands fit into the loud and offensive category. I have heard college marching bands that play musically. I wish there were more of them.

Wellllll....... I believe you may be in the minority of the universe of fans who attend college football games, who hear "loud", or "I can't hear the band." "Offensive" is not a word I've ever heard. In the context of drum corps now being for the music majors, then you'd probably be in the majority in the group of dci participants. Of course, what's dci? Nobody's even heard of it.

I am watching the vast amounts of advertising and analysis going on at halftime of last night's BCS Championship game and occasional shots of each band in the stands during the game. I know, a vast number of people watching a football game could care less about the band, but isn't that same viewpoint continuing to make all marching arts...including drum corps...more and more irrelevant?

I think what might hurt drum corps' relevance more than not seeing college marching bands on TV would be not seeing drum corps on TV.