Meals at winter camp

Part of the luxury of marching Madison Scouts is Winter camps in the Bloomington facility, which includes a full kitchen and cafeteria at their disposal..

I can tell you that Scouts are MORE then fine... Since 1938, I'm sure some years were better then others,,, As of today they are very, very healthy...

I would hate to name drop or brag about the haves or have nots... but don't talk poor about corps when you really have no idea about who or what you are talking about..

It's not a question of the haves or have-nots, its a question of who provides meals and who doesn't. I know that Phantom does not. But I don't know the logistics for the kids. Does the corps supply buses or do the kids have to find their own rides to the restaurants?

Part of the luxury of marching Madison Scouts is Winter camps in the Bloomington facility, which includes a full kitchen and cafeteria at their disposal..

I can tell you that Scouts are MORE then fine... Since 1938, I'm sure some years were better then others,,, As of today they are very, very healthy...

I would hate to name drop or brag about the haves or have nots... but don't talk poor about corps when you really have no idea about who or what you are talking about..

I didn't mean to upset you. I am genuinely glad to know that Madison is fine.

HH

Now, does anyone know the answer to the question? Corps that now or in the past did not provide meals at winter camp - doesn't matter if it was Madison, Phantom or whomever - what is the process for eating? Surely the members aren't expected to starve for the weekend. Can someone explain?

HH

• Like 1

Now, does anyone know the answer to the question? Corps that now or in the past did not provide meals at winter camp - doesn't matter if it was Madison, Phantom or whomever - what is the process for eating? Surely the members aren't expected to starve for the weekend. Can someone explain?

HH

:thumbdown:

unless you are going to send these corps money... this stinks of slander.

IMHO

PS Scouts have an endowment. read about it..

Edited by Cop

I always loved having soup during winter camps. Especially in the middle of freezing, snowy Wyoming. I'm sure it was just a mix from a bag, but man that potato soup sure hit the spot after a Saturday vis. block!

During tour, grilled cheese FTW. And cheesy rice.

While having lunch at the last camp I was was trying to compare some of the meals between winter and summer.

Just wondering what your favorite winter camp meal may be.

This past camp an all age corps practiced at the same campus but in a different building. They ate at our cafeteria but they were brown bagging it.

Do you have to do this?

I vividly remember my first out of town camp with Vanguard. This was after 2 years with the Sky Ryders who barely had any food on tour. No food truck. We had 3 big crock pots instead.

There were 8 in my section (the pit). In 1990 there were 3 returning members from '88 and '89. one rookie from a San Jose high school and 4 of us that were from other corps. Sky Ryders, Spirit of Atlanta and Northern Auroura. The 4 of us that were the "vet-rookies" knew the universal post bus ride drill, get your stuff and find a zone in gym. We did this and quickly figured out that we were ALONE in the gym aside from one guard member taping a flag. We asked "Where is everyone?". She said "snack". We all looked at each other and laughed. <sarcasm> "Yeah, right. Snack" </sarcasm> That was truly an impossibility in our old corps.

We went outside and there was chili and cornbread in massive quantities. and it was GOOD.

I assumed that this was just false advertising during the winter to keep the newbies from abandoning ship before the real tour started in June. bait and switch. Really good at camps and then junk on tour.

Boy was I wrong. This was 20 years ago and I can honestly say I ate better those summers, as a rule, than I have since I moved out of my parents' house.

I barely feed my own children better than Vanguard fed me. The bar is pretty high.

Edited by jplattSCV

The roast pork loin dinner that Blue Stars served at the December camp this year was outstanding. Included stuffing, a special orange/cranberry sauce, vegetables, and strawberry shortcake. And, of course, PB&J :thumbup: .

This camp my favorite was the meatloaf for Saturday dinner, and the baked potato and salad bar for Sunday dinner.

Having volunteered at that camp I would agree 100%... of course the best was the homemade pasta at the Blue Stars December camp...

I am still favorable to the drum corps classic PB&J...

A former student of mine just camp back from a world class southern california corps practice and said his favorite meal was the cup of noodles... which is all that was provided during that corps camps...

Did I mention I love the Blue Stars....... food. :) (oh and a bunch of other things...)

:thumbdown:

unless you are going to send these corps money... this stinks of slander.

IMHO

PS Scouts have an endowment. read about it..

Really, Cop? Slander? I'm still laughing...

I can speak about Regiment in 1994. We were not fed by the corps in the winter. We were given an hour for lunch and dinner, and either drove into town ourselves, or took a bus the corps provided. I remember eating a lot of Hardee's and Godfather Pizza.

Really, Cop? Slander? I'm still laughing...

I can speak about Regiment in 1994. We were not fed by the corps in the winter. We were given an hour for lunch and dinner, and either drove into town ourselves, or took a bus the corps provided. I remember eating a lot of Hardee's and Godfather Pizza.

You think it's funny? A non profit organization can not feed it's children, and you are laughing at me?

I take pride in working food banks once a month, I also send money to a couple drum corps I believe in or connected to.

I don't think it's funny in the least when it comes to food or feeding children.

I don't think it's polite to point out non profit organizations, that are set up for children, and want to name names... and it's obvious this is not a thread to help kids at all.

I too have heard that some corps (is Madison one?) don't provide meals at camps. How does that work? Do the members head off to the nearest restaurant at mealtime? How does that affect the schedule?

HH

FIRST ONE Includes Madison in statement, but has no idea..

Edited by Cop