Meals at winter camp

Of course you're right. But that's a change isn't it? Not that long ago, camp meals (at least some camp meals?) weren't included at Madison? Or am I thinking of another corps?

As someone who's presided over 500 hot dogs for camp lunch among other personal cooking records, I'm curious how members eat when meals aren't part of the package. Anyone?

HH

SECOND TIME Includes Madison once again.. and still has no idea...

Edited by Cop

'glory'[/size] timestamp='1295530883' post='2962765']

Now, does anyone know the answer to the question? Corps that now or in the past did not provide meals at winter camp - doesn't matter if it was Madison, Phantom or whomever - what is the process for eating? Surely the members aren't expected to starve for the weekend. Can someone explain?

HH

Third time Madison's name is used by the same poster, who stated she/he really has no idea.. SLANDER.

Slander: a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report.

Using Passive aggressive posts or not... there is a clear theme.

I'm looking for the clue as to why he/she is trying to convey Scouts are not feeding their members.

Send Scouts Money GLORY since you are pushing the fact they are not fed. Thank You for your help.

Edited by Cop

I always loved having soup during winter camps. Especially in the middle of freezing, snowy Wyoming. I'm sure it was just a mix from a bag, but man that potato soup sure hit the spot after a Saturday vis. block!

During tour, grilled cheese FTW. And cheesy rice.

Soup and sandwich were fine. Eggs in a basket were great. Cookies or cake were a treat! We had orange sponsors which included tang and cheese wiz. Blue berries and broccoli are good; soup is fine by me too in the middle of the freezing, snowy... ;-)

Third time Madison's name is used by the same poster, who stated she/he really has no idea.. SLANDER.

I'm looking for the clue as to why he/she is trying to convey Scouts are not feeding their members.

Send Scouts Money GLORY since you are pushing the fact they are not fed. Thank You for your help.

You know those posts that you put up and then edit and write "nevermind..."? This should have been one of those posts.

And honestly I'm confused about this. Are you upset because Madison can't feed their kids during camp and you don't want it mentioned OR is it because Madison CAN feed their kids and someone keeps asking if they do?

Just be clear let us know what you know!

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

You know those posts that you put up and then edit and write "nevermind..."? This should have been one of those posts.

And honestly I'm confused about this. Are you upset because Madison can't feed their kids during camp and you don't want it mentioned OR is it because Madison CAN feed their kids and someone keeps asking if they do?

Just be clear let us know what you know!

they can.

but someone is having a go at em, like bulling a poor kid at school...

or trying to publish names of corps who are too poor to feed their kids.

none of it being done in the name of charity or to help the non profit corps.

they can.

but someone is having a go at em, like bulling a poor kid at school...

or trying to publish names of corps who are too poor to feed their kids.

none of it being done in the name of charity or to help the non profit corps.

okay got. Well glad Madison is doing well then.

I mean if there is a corps out there that can't afford to feed its kids in the winter letting the public know about can only be a good thing. I'm sure no one will belittle the corps that struggles because struggling is the name of the game with drum corps. always.

It's actually libel, not slander, when it comes to the printed word.

Carry on.

Look. You're wrong about my intent. All I wanted to know is how it works when the corps isn't providing meals at camps. I used Madison as an example because I recalled reading on the Scouts site at some point in the not-too-distant past that they didn't provide meals at some camps. That's it.

As it turns out, my memory wasn't mistaken. The Scouts website did say as much. You can read it here: http://www.madisonscouts.org/blog/?p=57.

It says, among other things:

November 24 – 25, 2007

Waunakee, WI (a suburb of Madison)

Map: Waunakee High School (Waunakee, WI)

Enter via the main entrance of the high school facing the stadium

Multi-day audition camp for brass, battery, front ensemble and guard

Overnight housing required, meals are on your own

And for the record, it's neither slander nor libel if it is true.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 3

Look. You're wrong about my intent. All I wanted to know is how it works when the corps isn't providing meals at camps. I used Madison as an example because I recalled reading on the Scouts site at some point in the not-too-distant past that they didn't provide meals at some camps. That's it.

As it turns out, my memory wasn't mistaken. The Scouts website did say as much. You can read it here: http://www.madisonscouts.org/blog/?p=57.

It says, among other things:

November 24 – 25, 2007

Waunakee, WI (a suburb of Madison)

Map: Waunakee High School (Waunakee, WI)

Enter via the main entrance of the high school facing the stadium

Multi-day audition camp for brass, battery, front ensemble and guard

Overnight housing required, meals are on your own

And for the record, it's neither slander nor libel if it is true.

HH

If a corps doesn't provide meals, as your quote says, the members are on their own and I don't see anything wrong with that as long as members are made aware of it beforehand and they aren't being charged some kind of camp fee. Actually, this approach makes more sense to me than having the corps provide food, especially for audition camps. It also could make more financial sense for corps that don't know how many members/students will be at any given camp. Mandatory registration helps, but I'm not sure how many corps have that kind of process in place. Again, as long as the members know what to expect ahead of time and are given sufficient break time, I don't see anything wrong with them having to be on their own for food during winter camps.

If a corps doesn't provide meals, as your quote says, the members are on their own and I don't see anything wrong with that as long as members are made aware of it beforehand ...

Nor do I.

It's the logistics I'm asking about. For those corps not serving meals to members at camp, what sort of break is taken to allow members to buy something? Must they travel far for fast food or a grocery store? Is a bus provided? Or maybe packing a weekend's meals isn't the logistical hurdle I thought it was (even though 200 or more need to store, prep and dispose of four or five meals)? What about staff and volunteers?

What is the procedure used by corps not serving meals at camp so that members can eat over the weekend? I've only seen the feed-them-all model. Someone enlighten me.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 2