What is the biggest challenge facing drum corps today?

Rather than challenges, I want to offer what I think, in my opinion would be the start of a possible solution:

In my (flawed, I'm sure) opinion, the best way forward is to go back to a regional model, find ways to make the shows entertaining and accessible but still creative and satisfying to the designers, approach and engage the legacy fans, stop with the "best of the best of the best" approach, and return to the primary focus of serving the kids and growing the activity. Would this solve all problems or be an easy answer? No. but I think it's a step in the right direction, after all.

Well I looked at Phantom's tour schedule and that is totally off the hook, nuts.

Rather than challenges, I want to offer what I think, in my opinion would be the start of a possible solution:

In my (flawed, I'm sure) opinion, the best way forward is to go back to a regional model, find ways to make the shows entertaining and accessible but still creative and satisfying to the designers, approach and engage the legacy fans, stop with the "best of the best of the best" approach, and return to the primary focus of serving the kids and growing the activity. Would this solve all problems or be an easy answer? No. but I think it's a step in the right direction, after all.

how dare you use logic :tongue:

It's a wonderful concept. But it's a bit utopian at this point. Outside of California and perhaps the Midwest, there really are no regions capable of the regional approach. What sort of region would Cadets, Crown and Crusaders have? What about Crossmen? Cascades? (Is it a "C" thing?) The regions have gone the way of the communities that once spawned corps. Neither are coming back any time soon.

HH

Fair enough. But let's not forget that not even Madison has been able to do Madison 1995 again.

HH

..and that my friend is why drum corps is in the state it's in today.....

..and that my friend is why drum corps is in the state it's in today.....

Sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about. I loved Madison 95. It didn't end there, however. Phantom 96 was just the first of many corps to love - LOVE - since 1995. To name only a few: Cadets 00, Cavies 02, Phantom 03, Cavies 04, Cadets 05, Cavies 06, Crown 07, Coats 07, Phantom 08, Cadets 09 and Coats 10.

HH

• Like 1

Sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about. I loved Madison 95. It didn't end there, however. Phantom 96 was just the first of many corps to love - LOVE - since 1995. To name only a few: Cadets 00, Phantom 03, Cavies 04, , Cavies 06, Crown 07, Coats 07,and Phantom 08,

HH

i can agree with my edited list

It's a wonderful concept. But it's a bit utopian at this point. Outside of California and perhaps the Midwest, there really are no regions capable of the regional approach. What sort of region would Cadets, Crown and Crusaders have? What about Crossmen? Cascades? (Is it a "C" thing?) The regions have gone the way of the communities that once spawned corps. Neither are coming back any time soon.

HH

This is where groups like DCNA, and the SDCA have their place - a starting ground where newly "spawned" corps can gain their footing, collaborate with others who are building, support and encourage each other, share knowledge and experience, and begin creating more stable corps for this activity who will eventually take the field. As these new corps grow, they can join the shows in their area/help create new ones.

In short - are we able to go back to a TRULY regional approach tomorrow? No, - but Maybe West, Midwest/Central and East for now, with Corps who can afford it crossing over occasionally to make appearances. More Corps = More opportunities for everyone, and then we can expand into a fully regional approach, with people going to the "World" :tongue: championships if and when they can afford it. This would give the big boys a chance to mix it up ocassionally with Corps they don't see everyday on the tour, and give the audiences a (potentially) different experience each year at Championships.