Pioneer

Like most folk, I find the lack of tennors more than a little bizarre. I don't know if it's down to a lack of tallent or it's purely to do with the show design... either way it doesn't matter. I'm sure the staff have spent a lot of time working this one out.

It might not be what our ears are used to hearing but who's to say it won't work... I look forward to watching pioneer this year.

Is the change of music confirmed?

saw the opener from last year for the first time this week: wow, i was so not expecting that amount of sound.

Same opener as Empire 93

Like most folk, I find the lack of tennors more than a little bizarre. I don't know if it's down to a lack of tallent or it's purely to do with the show design... either way it doesn't matter. I'm sure the staff have spent a lot of time working this one out.

It might not be what our ears are used to hearing but who's to say it won't work... I look forward to watching pioneer this year.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the sound difference without the tenors. I've known bands to do this and there was very little difference. They can easy make up for the lack of tonal drums by having the top three bass and cymbals split more notes. Pioneer has had a pretty solid bassline for the last few years and I know the cymbal line will (hopefulLY be capable of playing splits. If they have a drumse player as good as last year, they'll should be able to make up for the lack of tenors.

I'm pretty sure the music change is confirmed.

When I first heard/noticed this trend a few years ago (it seems to be most popular with BOA bands), I felt the same way. But I saw some bands w/out tenors, and then watched some BOA videos, and the difference is, for the most part IMO, negligible. I've been told by some BOA directors that the thought is the tenor voice gets muddy in the Indy dome, and there is a "cleaner" sound w/out the tenors. I had thought that had more to do with the timbre of some of the woodwind instruments that the tenor voice "bled" into. The school I teach at doesn't do BOA, so I haven't thought too much about it or really researched the subject. But the practice seems to be a least somewhat popular, and I've been wondering when/if corps would experiment with this. I'll be curious to hear Pioneer, but to be honest it's ALL about orchestration and arranging: a good arranger can make ANY 'odd' instrumentation manageable.

Latest info:

The corps has been rehearsing hard the past week, but had yesterday off for their annual canoe day. The corps picked back up with 9 to 9's this morning and will continue with that through Friday when they head on up to Brillion, WI for a parade. The numbers are a bit smaller than years past, but they are still strong. Think back to the 1999 or 2000 Pioneer corps that made semifinals for a good comparison.

We do still have a couple openings that have popped up. We're still in need of 1 baritone, 2 cymbals, 2 ladies for the guard, and 3 front ensemble musicians. If you want to march, we want you! Reduced fees are possible, depending on join date. Contact the corps office at 414-327-2847 or visit our website and fill out an online application.

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

I should also add that anyone who marched with, taught, or volunteered with the Imperials of St. Patrick, Thunderbolts, or Pioneer is invited to our 50th Anniversary Reunion & Celebration. The event will be held on July 9th - 10th in Milwaukee. Some of the highlights include an exclusive performance by Pioneer on Saturday afternoon, raffles, old videos, and a special bonfire & ceremony Saturday night. This is a great opportunity for people to reunite and relive some of the memories of their time with the corps.

For more information: http://bit.ly/kP73mV