Looking for that one solution.

Like I said, same as it ever was. It's just human nature to have an affinity for the familiar. Rule changes, a newly competitive corps, a new approach to programming, will always be regarded with suspicion, hostility, or some combination of both:

"That's not how we did it."

"I can't believe the judges are rewarding that garbage. "

"That ain't drum corps"

That being said, I still don't think turning back the hands of time would necessarily have any long lasting effect as far as getting old fans or f.m.m.s back into the seats. People will make pronouncements about how changes in style/equipment/sacred tradition, etc. have driven them away from the activity. But if you could somehow magically bring back say, the 1986 finalist lineup, lock, stock and two-valve, or the 1975 Scouts, or the [insert name of favorite legendary corps from back during your golden age, whenever that may have been] and plop them down in the middle of tour, I'm guessing that the typical old-timer might come out once, or maybe twice, just for a quick stroll down memory lane, and then return to whatever it is they've become accustomed to doing now that they've grown away from the activity that was the passion of their youth.

When someone complains "that ain't drum corps" (or whatever might be their disclaimer for not being into it anymore), it could be an out and out indictment of what they feel activity has become. On the other hand, they might simply be saying: "Though I have fond memories of my drum corps experience, my life has moved along to another place. I have other responsibilities; I've developed other interests. There are other things I need to, or would prefer to, do with my time." For better or worse as far as the activity is concerned, it's hard to argue with that, as difficult as it may be for dyed-in-the-wool lifers to understand :sad:

If DCI is indeed concentrating their energies on cultivating new fans as was suggested by the o.p., maybe they are wise to do so. Thumbing our collective nose at busloads of high school kids might be cutting it off to spite our face.

Peace,

Fred O.

a smart business keeps old customers while attracting new. DCI has not done this, now really knows it, and hence the Cesario initiative is in place.

a smart business keeps old customers while attracting new. DCI has not done this, now really knows it, and hence the Cesario initiative is in place.

DCI has always had plenty of 'old' customers at shows. Initiatives to get more of EVERY demographic are always welcome, of course.

DCI has always had plenty of 'old' customers at shows. Initiatives to get more of EVERY demographic are always welcome, of course.

DCI has been laser focused on kids since the mid 90's. A wise move, except they stopped trying to retain those that weren't kids.

Why is the Cesario project happening? fans not coming, and DCI being told by fans the shows bore them. Sure every year now you have 2/3 that the masses love. Not that along ago, you had 8/9 the masses loved.or more

DCI has been laser focused on kids since the mid 90's. A wise move, except they stopped trying to retain those that weren't kids.

No, they did not stop "trying to retain those...", IMO. s

Why is the Cesario project happening? fans not coming, and DCI being told by fans the shows bore them. Sure every year now you have 2/3 that the masses love. Not that along ago, you had 8/9 the masses loved.or more

Its always a good idea to look for new ways to attract fans. No doubt. People have different likes and dislikes. Always have.

I said it before and will keep saying it

I really do feel that it’s best for the G-8 and whomever to go off, try their own thing and sink or swim on their own

Then DCI can get back to being DCI, scrap the amps as they are an additional expense, reduce the corps numbers, spread the love around more corps and roll back some G-8 pushed changes, become a more traditional drum corps alternative with the first tour regional, second tour to finals. The G-8 can be the Gibb-Hopkins Super Bando-circus and try out all their ideas, spend half the summer in California, maybe even during finals?

As long as they don’t go head to head, same dates in the same city I think both could draw and there would be a huge overlap of fans – why put all the eggs in one basket any way? If need be, they could merge again later as 1 circuit if one flopped

I think it’s a bad idea for the G-8 to try and do their thing with in DCI and that it will hurt DCI. The G-8 is meant only to the benefit the G-8, we saw this in the proposal with the black out dates suggested for non G-8 corps and other nonsense

Interesting.

a smart business keeps old customers while attracting new.

Agreed.

DCI has not done this...

A point well taken.

...and hence the Cesario initiative...

Let's just hope Michael can come up with something more creative than asking color guards to dig the hot pants out of the uniform trailer or rehashing old arrangements of The Legend of One-Eyed Danny Boy's Guide to Georgia. I honestly don't think that kind of approach would have any long-lasting impact.

Vive l'activité,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

• 2 weeks later...

So true. I have a feeling, dont ask me why, I just do, that finals this year is gonna be HUGE. I cant wait to be there... to see it.

Agreed.

A point well taken.

Let's just hope Michael can come up with something more creative than asking color guards to dig the hot pants out of the uniform trailer or rehashing old arrangements of The Legend of One-Eyed Danny Boy's Guide to Georgia. I honestly don't think that kind of approach would have any long-lasting impact.

Vive l'activité,

Fred O.

actually, i think DCI has a few other tricks up their sleeves along this regard. Some new faces on the board may be a good thing indeed

• 5 weeks later...