Live or Fade Away

Stu

> Drum corps will never be mainstream. it can improve some things as far as getting more involved in communities and getting some added support there, and maybe alter some programming choices and win some fans lost back, but it will never do business like Britney Spears or an Eagles reunion.

If, as you contend, drum corps will never be able to reach the main-stream fans, then the amount of revenue it takes to keep the high quality professional-level exhibited by the top DCI corps cannot be sustained no matter what DCI attempts to do. Therefore, if that is the case, there are only two options available: either the quality of drum corps' within DCI will have to revert back to a local scholastic community musical ensemble level, or die on the vine from attempting professional level quality without the capital to sustain.

Edited by Stu

> drum corps has had some alum go out in the other worlds of music and have great success.

Some??? How about A Lot!!! I have friends that gig in NY, LA, and all over the world, and you would be surprised at how many fellow professional musicians they perform with who marched in a drum corps. To me, this is where DCI is missing the marketing boat!!!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 4

> Drum corps will never be mainstream. it can improve some things as far as getting more involved in communities and getting some added support there, and maybe alter some programming choices and win some fans lost back, but it will never do business like Britney Spears or an Eagles reunion.

If, as you contend, drum corps will never be able to reach the main-stream fans, then the amount of revenue it takes to keep the high quality professional-level exhibited by the top DCI corps cannot be sustained no matter what DCI attempts to do. Therefore, if that is the case, there are only two options available: either the quality of drum corps' within DCI will have to revert back to a local scholastic community musical ensemble level, or die on the vine from attempting professional level quality without the capital to sustain.

wrong. DCi can earn more revenue. But it will always be a niche. you can do all the marketing you want, and many people will just not want to go see "band shows".

but...if you get more community tie in, better marketing in this media age, and win some fans back that have been lost, DCI's balance sheets will look a lot better.

> drum corps has had some alum go out in the other worlds of music and have great success.

Some??? How about A Lot!!! I have friends that gig in NY, LA, and all over the world, and you would be surprised at how many fellow professional musicians they perform with who marched in a drum corps. To me, this is where DCI is missing the marketing boat!!!

i am greening you for this!

most people in the us couldn't possibly care less about the acoustic vs. electric argument with regard to music and motion on a football field.

since electronics pervade every aspect of popular culture, if you really want "the masses", uninitiated, to get turned onto dci, then if anything, it will be nothing but a plus.

for the record, i don't like electronics at all.

it's just amazing to see the inconsistencies between what die-hards say regarding growing the activity, and what they say regarding how they want it to look like it did back when they marched.

If, as you contend, drum corps will never be able to reach the mainstream fans, then the amount of revenue it takes to keep the high quality professional-level exhibited by the top DCI corps cannot be sustained no matter what DCI attempts to do.

There are lots of high-quality, professional, not-for-profit arts organzations, including theaters, operas, dance companies, orchestras, etc., who have no chance, and no desire (because it would mean abandoning their missions), to reach a Gaga-sized audience and yet are thriving. (To be sure, there are plenty which are struggling, as well.) For many of them, including the theater where I work (annual budget $7M), ticket sales account for only about half their revenue, the rest coming from donations.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

There are lots of high-quality, professional, not-for-profit arts organzations, including theaters, operas, dance companies, orchestras, etc., who have no chance, and no desire (because it would mean abandoning their missions), to reach a Gaga-sized audience and yet are thriving. (To be sure, there are plenty which are sruggling, as well.) For many of them, including the theater where I work (annual budget $7M), ticket sales account for only about half their revenue, the rest coming from donations.

True; but the gate keepers of the large foundations open the flood gate of donations to those musical activities such as the Symphony Orchestra or Ballet because they are frequented by community big-wigs like Doctors, Lawyers, Corporate CEO's, ... The average DCI fan does not partake of $300 bottles of wine and $100 Truffles.

> it's just amazing to see the inconsistencies between what die-hards say regarding growing the activity, and what they say regarding how they want it to look like it did back when they marched.

That should be the posted tag line on every discussion concerning the future of the DCI activity!!!!! Thanks, Lance!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

True, but the gatekeepers of the large foundations open the flood gate of donations to those musical activities such as the symphony orchestra or ballet because they are frequented by community big-wigs like doctors, lawyers, corporate CEOs. The average DCI fan does not partake of $300 bottles of wine and $100 truffles.

Nor does the average theater fan, I can assure you, but the average theater certainly has a staff that courts the local rich, works to educate them about the value of the artistic and educational mission, and finally convinces them to contribute to support the continuation of that mission.