Live or Fade Away

Stu

Carolina Crowns 2012 show. "Poker Face" featuring works from Lady Gaga. :doh:

/snip

> Otherwise, drum corps just becomes… a rock show.

And if that keeps the activity alive, or better yet allows the activity to grow instead of dying, the problem with that is... what?

if I wanna watch a rock show, I can go watch a rock show. If the point of the whole thing is that you need to change it into something completely different, that already exists, it might as well go ahead and die it's death and everyone go watch what they want, or start up whatever "and the kitchen sink" circuit they want.

Nor does the average theater fan, I can assure you, but the average theater certainly has a staff that courts the local rich, works to educate them about the value of the artistic and educational mission, and finally convinces them to contribute to support the continuation of that mission.

Still, it is a completely different atmosphere than drum corps. I have dealt with many "rich" who frequent the Opera, Theater, and Symphony; they go to these events get "seen" by others who are also there to get "seen". Many times these people leave during the intermission because they accomplished what they desired; To hear great music? Nope; "to be seen by others". And they of course love having their names listed in the program as donors because again their names are "seen". Let's be realistic here (not condescending but realistic) the average DCI patron is like a sports fan looking at a program to hopefully find a coupon for a hot dog at the concession stand more than the benefactor list.

> if I wanna watch a rock show, I can go watch a rock show.

Yes, and about 1000 times more people are willing to pay hundreds of bucks each to go see that rock show.

> If the point of the whole thing is that you need to change it into something completely different, that already exists, it might as well go ahead and die it's death and everyone go watch what they want, or start up whatever "and the kitchen sink" circuit they want.

No, the activity does not have to cause a corps to completely morph into a rock band. The point is if incorporating elements of what the paying public want to see and hear (into an existing drum corps platform) will bring in more ticket sales, what is the problem? All the same, it is called the free market, and if you do not provide what the paying public desires, the activity will die. And apparently what you are saying is that you would rather the drum corps activity to die than allow the expansion of something as innocuous as some rock band showmanship and musical elements.

• Like 1

I think when it comes to DCI, I think that marketing will be the biggest challenge. I'm sure most people saw that stupid viral video of the Japanese drill team doing drill formations, kind of similar to what we do, except for the fact that they were in front of a packed stadium, and millions of people have now seen that video on the internet. Why can't we get that kind of exposure? Anyone?

> if I wanna watch a rock show, I can go watch a rock show.

Yes, and about 1000 times more people are willing to pay hundreds of bucks each to go see that rock show.

> If the point of the whole thing is that you need to change it into something completely different, that already exists, it might as well go ahead and die it's death and everyone go watch what they want, or start up whatever "and the kitchen sink" circuit they want.

No, the activity does not have to cause a corps to completely morph into a rock band. The point is if incorporating elements of what the paying public want to see and hear (into an existing drum corps platform) will bring in more ticket sales, what is the problem? All the same, it is called the free market, and if you do not provide what the paying public desires, the activity will die. And apparently what you are saying is that you would rather the drum corps activity to die than allow the expansion of something as innocuous as some rock band showmanship and musical elements.

showmanship...no...elements, meaning more speakers, guitars, synths? yes...because it WILL be dead already.

This isn't rock and roll, or hip-hop, or death metal. It's drum corps. You could take every drum corps out there, and dress them in confederate flags and have them play Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama, and you won't bring in redneck number one....because it's drum corps. You can walk up to 10,000 people in the street, and ask them if they like drum corps. 9,999 don't even know what it is, nor do they care. If you gave them free tickets, they still wouldn't go. It's the 1 person that loves that horn sound...that drum sound that you have to get to the shows. The thing is, they probably are already fans, and they already attend shows...until that unique horn and drum sound is taken away from them...and then there are once again 10,000 people that don't care about drum corps any more...because it won't be drum corps...it will be something else.

Drum corps passion is a finite element that's dispersed to a very small crowd. Changing drum corps into something else isn't going to "bring in the masses". All it's gonna do is turn away your current fans.

• Like 1

showmanship...no...elements, meaning more speakers, guitars, synths? yes...because it WILL be dead already.

This isn't rock and roll, or hip-hop, or death metal. It's drum corps. You could take every drum corps out there, and dress them in confederate flags and have them play Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama, and you won't bring in redneck number one....because it's drum corps. You can walk up to 10,000 people in the street, and ask them if they like drum corps. 9,999 don't even know what it is, nor do they care. If you gave them free tickets, they still wouldn't go. It's the 1 person that loves that horn sound...that drum sound that you have to get to the shows. The thing is, they probably are already fans, and they already attend shows...until that unique horn and drum sound is taken away from them...and then there are once again 10,000 people that don't care about drum corps any more...because it won't be drum corps...it will be something else.

Drum corps passion is a finite element that's dispersed to a very small crowd. Changing drum corps into something else isn't going to "bring in the masses". All it's gonna do is turn away your current fans.

Rock today is not like Buddy Holly and the Crickets of yester-year. It "drastically" changed over time into groups like U2 and the aforementioned Lady GaGa to stay relevant; and so should drum corps change, not into a non-marching organization, but change to stay relevant or it will certainly die as a relic.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Why do people go to a Rock concert or Symphonic Orchestra performance? You attend to listen to the Music.

Citizens of the good ole USA have no interest in attending esoteric, artsy fartsy, marching musical theater shows on a football field that will require them to think about the deeper meaning of what they're watching while being seranaded by unrecognizable muscical selections. That's what DCI mostly is now.

Former Corps and marching band members from the 70's, 80's and 90's don't even have any interest in it, so what makes anybody think that MAINSTREAM AMERICANA will?.........................

• Like 1

I cannot wait to see the Crown Guard!!!! :worthy::thumbup::tongue::devil::w00t:

Hawt!