Live or Fade Away

Stu

As mentioned before, this has happened a whole 3 times in the last 30 years, and I don't even know if the books are the same. I know some of the songs are different. I know some of the drill is different.

Only 3 times? Really? I went to www.corpsreps.com and found more than 16 charts that were played back to back by just three corps and I never got past 1977!!! Also, Regiment alone played the Spartacus show three different times. But you still have not answered my question on how that form of repetition retains or gains fans.

Only 3 times? Really? I went to www.corpsreps.com and found more than 16 charts that were played back to back by just three corps and I never got past 1977!!! Also, Regiment alone played the Spartacus show three different times. But you still have not answered my question on how that form of repetition retains or gains fans.

are you talking whole shows, or just one or two songs? Were the books the same? drill? How long ago did all this happen?

There are lots of instances where a corps played one song several years in a row...Bluecoats with Autumn Leaves...Troopers probably played Battle Hymn or Ghost Riders a few times in a row...Cavies and Somewhere Over the Rainbow...

Has this happened in the last 20 years?

If you want an answer, I guess compare finals attendance from 81/82, or 88/89 and compare it to last years attendance..

If you want an answer, I guess compare finals attendance from 81/82, or 88/89 and compare it to last years attendance..

So, your answer to getting attendance up today is for the 2011 corps' to recycle many their 2010 charts like corps' did back in the 70's and 80's?

So, your answer to getting attendance up today is for the 2011 corps' to recycle many their 2010 charts like corps' did back in the 70's and 80's?

is all this rhetorical or are you actually asking ME what I think? I've already said ditch the synths, mic'd narration, guitars, and play more melodic music....I don't know if that will bring any more in, but it will slow down the leak in the bottom of the boat.

Corps have to do a better job of drawing in more high school kids. Judging has to do a better job of rewarding corps that entertain the crowd instead of the judges. In a perfect judging scenario, those 2 things would be the same.

Other than that, just the same things other businesses do...advertise...get corporate sponsorships...etc.

is all this rhetorical or are you actually asking ME what I think? I've already said ditch the synths, mic'd narration, guitars, and play more melodic music....I don't know if that will bring any more in, but it will slow down the leak in the bottom of the boat.

Corps have to do a better job of drawing in more high school kids. Judging has to do a better job of rewarding corps that entertain the crowd instead of the judges. In a perfect judging scenario, those 2 things would be the same.

Other than that, just the same things other businesses do...advertise...get corporate sponsorships...etc.

Maybe there should be a www.dci.org hosted poll on "Why Do You Think That Finals Attendance Decreased?". Maybe they'll be able to prove that there's a reason besides electronics. For instance, maybe it is money/cost of travel, something which seems more relative for today's society.

Edited by kaseyW

I've been watching drum corps for 33 years, and i've yet to see a repeat show...whacky...

is all this rhetorical or are you actually asking ME what I think?

This minor rabbit trial began when you stated that in 33 years you have never seen a repeated show and others, including me, countered with there have been a plethora of repeated charts and shows. My question was how are repeated shows or charts related to keeping or increasing the fan base.

Edited by Stu

This minor rabbit trial began when you stated that in 33 years you have never seen a repeated show and others, including me, countered with there have been a plethora of repeated charts and shows. My question was how are repeated shows or charts related to keeping or increasing the fan base.

even after I gave my definition of repeated shows, and also mentioned that songs changed...drill changed...brass books probably changed...which to me, doesn't equal repeated show...repeated theme, maybe, but not repeated show.

I don't know how Spartacus 81/82 or Phantom 88/89 affected attendance...it happened once 20 years ago, and other than that, occurred over 30 years ago. This is like asking me how Ford's production of the Pinto affected Ford's car sales last year.

Edited by skewerz

even after I gave my definition of repeated shows, and also mentioned that songs changed...drill changed...brass books probably changed...which to me, doesn't equal repeated show...repeated theme, maybe, but not repeated show.

I don't know how Spartacus 81/82 or Phantom 88/89 affected attendance...it happened once 20 years ago, and other than that, occurred over 30 years ago. This is like asking me how Ford's production of the Pinto affected Ford's car sales last year.

Ford stopped making Pintos long ago; Madison Scouts did a repeated theme in 2010 with Slaughter (1982) and Rhapsody (1985). But since you do not know if repeated theme shows retain or bring in more fans, we shall move on to things that might accomplish that task. You said reverting back by eliminating synths and electronics will bring in more fans, is there any polling data on that assertion?

Ford stopped making Pintos long ago; Madison Scouts did a repeated theme in 2010 with Slaughter (1982) and Rhapsody (1985). But since you do not know if repeated theme shows retain or bring in more fans, we shall move on to things that might accomplish that task. You said reverting back by eliminating synths and electronics will bring in more fans, is there any polling data on that assertion?

all I did is say what I would do...we won't know the answer to it unless electronics are repealed, and we know that's not gonna happen.

3600 people signed a petition against electronics back a few years ago...3600 is a big chunk of drum corps fans...

all I did is say what I would do...we won't know the answer to it unless electronics are repealed, and we know that's not gonna happen.

3600 people signed a petition against electronics back a few years ago...3600 is a big chunk of drum corps fans...

Where are the results of that petition against electronics posted; and how do you know the number is 3600?